Carne Asada Flank Steak with Chimichurri

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
Did this cook a couple of nights ago. Carne Asada Flank Steak served on Cauliflower Rice and topped with roasted Chimichurri Sauce.

Made the Chimichurri Sauce the day before. Selected some nice Poblano Peppers along with some Anaheims.

Roasted them on the 22 Weber.

Steamed them for about 15 minutes.

After removing skins loaded them into our food processor along with about a cup of cilantro, half as much Italian Parsley, chopped yellow onion, garlic, lime juice, some Capers and Olive Oil. Processed until smooth.

Covered bowl and placed in fridge overnight.

The next day I made the Cauliflower Rice. Again, used our Food Processor to shred one whole head of Cauliflower to a consistency similar to rice. Covered and set aside.

This guy was about 2.3 lbs. USDA Choice.

Got it trimmed up.

Let is sit in the marinade for about an hour. Used Sweetwater Spice Lime Jalapeno for my brine.

Last edited:
Got the Cauliflower Rice going on my JJ. Took about 10 minutes. Added a little Cumin and K Salt.

Seasoned the flank steak with Cattleman's Grill 8 Second Ride Carne Asada rub.

Grilled for 7-8 minutes a side to an IT of around 130.

Pulled and let rest for about 5 minutes.

Got it sliced up into very thin slices.

Plated on the Cauliflower Rice and topped with the Chimichurri. Tortillas on the side.

This was a wonderful meal. The steak was juicy and tender and the flavors blended well together. The heat level was moderate. Will be doing this cook again. Happy Thursday everyone, the weekend's almost here. Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
I'm not sure where you find the time to do these cooks you do, but they are amazing

Damn. That's sensational. Beautiful plate.

That chimichurri is out of left field! Very different. Care to comment on it?

Cliff, I'm guessing that you are basically just sautéing the cauliflower? Very cool idea, I'm going to have to try that!
Between you, the Dahls, Dustin, and so many others, I've got inspiration for the rest of the year!
Not so sure how my doctor might feel about it but, as long as I'm "reasonable" I should be OK.

Thanks everyone!

Damn. That's sensational. Beautiful plate.

That chimichurri is out of left field! Very different. Care to comment on it?

Hey Robert... I thought the Chimichurri was outstanding. It's hard for me to verbalize a taste. What I immediately picked up was the garlic and the citrus. I used six huge cloves of fresh garlic and there is a quarter cup of fresh squeezed lime juice in the mix. The wonderful cilantro taste is there but not as pronounced. After a second or two, there is a nice subtle heat from the peppers. I have a pretty nice bowl of it left and I doubt it will go to waste

Cliff, I'm guessing that you are basically just sautéing the cauliflower?
Not so sure how my doctor might feel about it but, as long as I'm "reasonable" I should be OK.

Timothy.... Yes, I just cooked the cauliflower in a little olive oil, for about 10 minutes, keeping a close eye on it and stirring often. The cauliflower is supposed to be a healthy alternative to regular rice. It's basically just raw cauliflower in a dash of oil. The seasoning is merely a pinch of cumin and a pinch of salt. I used big pinches, but that's just me. You could easily eliminate the salt if that was an issue. That's it. I like trying new things and this interested me. We really enjoyed it, but that's not to say it will supplant our love of regular rice.

Last edited:

Back