Can't get enough heat

I don't know if it's just me, but if I want more heat, doesn't it make more sense to put the chimney of lit charcoal on the bottom and pour unlit on top? It takes off fast that way.

On poultry I cook on the top rack and remove the water bowl for direct heat. It runs hotter without the bowl in it and it crisps up chicken more.

I don't think KBB is expensive. I buy on sale once a year at Home Depot and two bags were under $9. Seems cheap to me?

@OP "I've seen friends just light and forget their Big Green Eggs"

That's all I've ever done with my 18.5" WSM after one or two minor bottom vent adjustments at the start.
no ATC's etc., never felt the need.
A bad bag of charcoal is the only thing I can think of causing your problem.

Well, an hour into my pork cook and I'm once again fighting for more heat. I've used the last of my 4th bag of Kingsford - and I just realized it's only my 5th cook. I had been using the Minion method, but this time I lit a full chimney of Kingsford and put it onto maybe 1/2 a chimney of unlit, then put the rest of the bag (filled the fire ring) of unlit on top. I left the fire portion completely open till all visible charcoal was ashed over. Put the middle section and water pan in and the lid on while I filled my water jug with hot tap water. Temp quickly got to about 300, and barely sagged after I had put two jugs of water (about 1-1/2 gallon total) in. I put the meat on - top rack only. I closed all lower vents to 1/4 and it seemed to not want to fall, but after 15 minutes it began to drop and drop. All vents fully open and the door upside down and open over an inch at the bottom, and I can only get about 220-225 degrees - verified with my Fluke 87-III meter and Fluke 50-T thermocouple temp probe, not far above the meat. Lid thermometer says a few degrees lower, but it's higher above the meat too. Been like that for half an hour now.

As far as expense, $20 for a 2-pack of Kingsford that only lasts 2-1/2 cooks is a little steep. Yes, I know there is a sale twice per year, HD sells out early in the AM around here when they have those sales, and besides, I don't have space to store maybe 20 bags of charcoal in the garage. After burning 2-1/2 hours from first lighting, almost 1/3 of the charcoal is gone. Not sure how people go overnight and have to worry about it getting too hot. I'll try RO lump before giving up.

Had the door closed for half an hour because stirring the fire had temps on the rise. Now it was back down to about 200. Stirred the fire again and it looks like lots of the charcoal is partially burned but mostly out. Only about 1/3 of the original amount of charcoal is left now, from a full ring 4 hours ago. Stirring does seem to help, and I have the door upside down again and propped open 2" at the bottom.

I throw out all used charcoal and start fresh every time, per recommendations here. I clean out all ash every time too.

Going to wait a little longer to see if it recovers, and if it doesn't I'll finish in the oven I guess. I'm out of charcoal and by the time I go buy some and light it, I'll be running out of cooking time. Smoke wood is mostly gone now too, though I have plenty of that. But KitchenAid never fails - the electric oven will cook it nicely and it's already got smoke on it, so...

I'll try RO lump before giving up.

I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I'm smoking two butts tomorrow, and I will be using my 4th bag of RO lump.

Note: Have you tried a bag of Walmart charcoal? I haven't used it in the smoker yet, but it burns very good in the kettle, and I think the product is made by Royal Oak.

Last edited:
You'd almost think that Weber would have realized the design flaw with their new style water bowl by now. I don't have one but all I see is people sticking in flower pots, pizza stones and other weird things where a normal water pan should already be!

Weber has a good rep, so I don't know why they won't bite the bullet, get rid of their inventory of these crappy new water pans (and they are crappy), and bring back what works and start making customers happy again. Until then I hope they do lose sales.

This forum is perhaps the biggest collection of WSM cooks going, and there's not been one positive word about this new water pan, just conversation about how to circumvent its negative effects on everyone's cook.

One sale they've already lost is mine. I want a 14, but I will not buy a product that has an obvious flaw. I wouldn't buy a new Ford then rip the engine out and drop a Chevy engine in it, why would I do that with a cooker?

Come on Webber, time to step up!

Had the door closed for half an hour because stirring the fire had temps on the rise. Now it was back down to about 200. Stirred the fire again and it looks like lots of the charcoal is partially burned but mostly out. Only about 1/3 of the original amount of charcoal is left now, from a full ring 4 hours ago. Stirring does seem to help, and I have the door upside down again and propped open 2" at the bottom.

I throw out all used charcoal and start fresh every time, per recommendations here. I clean out all ash every time too.

The water is what is keeping your temps low & fuel consumption up. It's a heat sink. Loose the water. You can cover the water pan with aluminum foil.

Also... you fill the charcoal ring with unlit first & put the lit on top for MM start.

I closed all lower vents to 1/4 and it seemed to not want to fall, but after 15 minutes it began to drop and drop.

Why would you close vents when you have had problems with getting enough heat?

Also lose the water in the pan and foil it.

You'd almost think that Weber would have realized the design flaw with their new style water bowl by now. I don't have one but all I see is people sticking in flower pots, pizza stones and other weird things where a normal water pan should already be!

Weber has a good rep, so I don't know why they won't bite the bullet, get rid of their inventory of these crappy new water pans (and they are crappy), and bring back what works and start making customers happy again. Until then I hope they do lose sales.

This forum is perhaps the biggest collection of WSM cooks going, and there's not been one positive word about this new water pan, just conversation about how to circumvent its negative effects on everyone's cook.

One sale they've already lost is mine. I want a 14, but I will not buy a product that has an obvious flaw. I wouldn't buy a new Ford then rip the engine out and drop a Chevy engine in it, why would I do that with a cooker?

Come on Webber, time to step up!

Wait, what? What you mean design flaw with their new water bowl? I've got a 2014 22" and previously owned a 2010 18", and both have have water bowls in them. There's nothing unusual about the design ------ it's a bowl, period. You put water in it and it helps to stabilize temps. The 18" had a slightly deeper bowl design, but nothing radically different.

Plenty of people, esp those with ATCs, can save fuel by not using it. But where is this "flawed new design" stuff coming from? Yeah the bowl is shallower but that doesn't necessarily change anything. I admittedly use an ATC nowadays, but I def had plenty of rounds with it on manual control before acquiring the ATC, and I never had any odd issues.

Water pans serve 2 purposes in this particular application:

1. It acts as a heat barrier, by simply being over the charcoals. Design won't change this as long as it's circular, which it is.
2. It also acts as a cooling source in 2 ways --- it has to heat up your water, and then once the water is boiling, it helps stabilize temps.

I feel like i'm missing something here. The bowl could made of platinum for all I care, as long as it does #1 and #2. One unsatisfied customer does not make a product flawed.

Karl, here's how I've always cooked on my WSMs and I've never had temp issues:

1. Place coffee can or beer growler onto middle of charcoal grate, then place some wood on the grate, and top with coals to the very top of the charcoal ring. Place more wood around the outside area.

2. Preheat bowl water (if using, sounds like you shouldnt). If not using water, cover bowl.

3. For 18" model, take 1/2-2/3 of a chimney of charcoal and get it started. I typically shake the chimney (like someone flips a pancake) as it burns to help speed up and even out all the coals. Once it's about half-way white ash (bottom line -- no smoke), I take that and pour it right in the spot where I had the growler/coffee can.

4. Vents set halfway to start, then once it nears set temp, I close them down to 1/4 on each (for the 18" model). THis almost always gives me 225-240 within 1 hour.

I've cooked chicken before at 350F without any issues, by simply opening the vent to max on all sides. Only thing I can think of that you could try to improve things, is to use lump coal and to eliminate water. When I had my 18", I could get a solid 14-16hr cook off a single bag of Kingsford Blue.

Why would you close vents when you have had problems with getting enough heat?

Also lose the water in the pan and foil it.

Agreed. I take 3 sheets of heavy duty foil (overlapping) and place the bowl on top, then tightly wrap it all around the bottom. I then tear off the excess foil that wraps past the rim and down into the bowl. Finally, I take a couple sheets and tightly wrap them over the top. This works well when cooking chicken or anything that needs to be crispier.

For longer cooks like brisket and butts, I still use water, though I've debated stopping altogether. Ive also debated replacing the bowl with a terra cotta pot, but haven't gotten around to trying it yet. It should work well with an ATC.

Last edited:
Wait, what? What you mean design flaw with their new water bowl? I've got a 2014 22" and previously owned a 2010 18", and both have have water bowls in them. There's nothing unusual about the design ------ it's a bowl, period. You put water in it and it helps to stabilize temps. The 18" had a slightly deeper bowl design, but nothing radically different.

Plenty of people, esp those with ATCs, can save fuel by not using it. But where is this "flawed new design" stuff coming from? Yeah the bowl is shallower but that doesn't necessarily change anything. I admittedly use an ATC nowadays, but I def had plenty of rounds with it on manual control before acquiring the ATC, and I never had any odd issues.

Water pans serve 2 purposes in this particular application:

1. It acts as a heat barrier, by simply being over the charcoals. Design won't change this as long as it's circular, which it is.
2. It also acts as a cooling source in 2 ways --- it has to heat up your water, and then once the water is boiling, it helps stabilize temps.

I feel like i'm missing something here. The bowl could made of platinum for all I care, as long as it does #1 and #2. One unsatisfied customer does not make a product flawed

It seems there are more complaints about the new water pan than any other single issue with the Weber Smokey Mountain.

Many people say they are too close to the charcoal and I believe that could have something to do with the problem of people not getting enough heat, and I wonder if it also affects charcoal consumption?

There are multiple threads on here are about how to work around the new waterpan or what to replace it with. It's much more than "one unsatisfied customer" Nick.

I don't have one so I cant tell you first hand but going by what the vast majority have said on here they need to go back to the smaller pan. Mine still works perfect going on 20 years, the water doesn't boil in it, I don't have temp problems and I don't feel the need to stick a flower pot in my cooker, just my opinion.

Last edited:
It seems there are more complaints about the new water pan than any other single issue with the Weber Smokey Mountain.

Many people say they are too close to the charcoal and I believe that could have something to do with the problem of people not getting enough heat, and I wonder if it also affects charcoal consumption?

There are multiple threads on here are about how to work around the new waterpan or what to replace it with. It's much more than "one unsatisfied customer" Nick.

I don't have one so I cant tell you first hand but going by what the vast majority have said on here they need to go back to the smaller pan. Mine still works perfect going on 20 years, the water doesn't boil in it, I don't have temp problems and I don't feel the need to stick a flower pot in my cooker, just my opinion.

First off, I don't mean to imply that anyone's full of it or lying. However, I just spent the past 5-10 minutes scouring Google and these forums, and can't come up with one single post complaining about the water pan, its distance to the coals/ring, or anything about water pan causing the temp issues described by OP. Heck, I can't even come up with anything about the existence of a new water pan or changed distance, PERIOD.

Can you please link me to all these people that are having issues? I'm very curious, because the overwhelming majority (and I truly mean OVERWHELMING) are more than pleased with their WSMs, and have been so for ages now. 90%+ of the time when someone has issues, we discover that their process/technique is wrong, or the presence of some external factor that wasn't previously disclosed. Remember, the ratio of positive feedback you'll hear compared to negative, when it comes to forums, is heavily in favor of negative, because people don't sign online to say "my smoker works, just wanted to let folks know".

Bottom line -- the water bowl is certainly not too close to the coals. I operated an 18" model for years, and the bowl was quite close to the coals, yet never once gave me a single issue. I cooked pork butts for 14+ hrs on a single ringful of coals of just standard KBB. Now with my 22" model, which has quite a bit more distance than the 18", I still have no issues.

Also, I won't pretend to be a scientist, but the law of conservation of energy would seemingly state that once the water starts boiling, the rest of the heat/energy has to go SOMEWHERE. Water cannot exceed 212F at standard atmospheric pressure at sea-level, therefore the water bowl really cannot exceed 212 by maybe a couple of degrees. Whether that means that it diminishes the overall cooker temp via a slower burn of the charcoal, or increases via air temp, it's gotta go SOMEWHERE.

Again, I don't mean to be rude, but please, enlighten me as to all these folks complaining about water pan issues, much less the existence of a changed water pan design/configuration. Cuz Google and forum searches for the following are yielding zilch, and I consider myself pretty good at finding stuff.

wsm water pan
weber water pan
wsm water pan distance
weber water pan distance
wsm bowl
wsm bowl issues
wsm new water pan
wsm new water bowl
weber water bowl
weber new water bowl

Last edited:
Can you please link me to all these people that are having issues?
Here's a comment, starting at post #5 and my comment at post #11:
http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?531...uld-you-buy-it&p=584036&viewfull=1#post584036

Another comment at post #6 and my comment at post #11:
http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?566...SMs-old-to-new&p=627991&viewfull=1#post627991

Here's an actual complaint:
http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?59794-Brinkman-Charcoal-Pan

Here's a comment on why a guy switched from stock pan to Brinkmann pan:
http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?30813-WSM-18-5-mods&p=331601&viewfull=1#post331601

Per Weber design engineer Mike Durso in this post, prior to 2009 the 18.5" water pan was a lid from a 14" grill. Starting in 2009, it was changed to the bowl of a 14" grill. You can see photos of the pans in this article: http://virtualweberbullet.com/waterpanusage.html. So it went from a relatively flat pan to a relatively deep pan. This is not the case with the 22.5" smoker, which has a wide, flat pan that's made from the lid of an 18" grill.

I would not characterize this is a problem for most post-2009 18.5" WSM owners, but if you're one of those guys who piles the charcoal over the top of the charcoal chamber and then adds smoke wood on top, the pan may touch the fire and may not seat properly on the brackets.

I would like to see Weber substitute a new pan more like the Brinkmann charcoal pan that people have been using--steeper sides, flat bottom, not as much depth. Not likely since there's no existing part from another grill that can be frankensteined and unlikely they'll design a new part (but they should, along with a better access door while they're at it).

By the way, I noticed that Brinkmann declared Chapter 11 bankruptcy recently, so I guess those charcoal pans are unavailable for now.

I have a lot of trouble getting my 18.5 over 230-250 with the water pan in and foiled. Without the pan it will hit 400 easily. I think the pan restricts the air flow a little and being at 5300 feet and thinner air it struggles. My homemade mini woks great with it's cake pan and flowerpot saucer diffuser, the mini would have more air flow due to the smaller diffuser in proportion to the size of the barrel.

Now that Chris has told us Brinkman went belly up I will get off my horse Procrastinate and start a panic search for a Brinkman pan to see if that will help.

Edit: I just read Chris' post above and that pretty much sums it up. Nick please don't get me wrong I'm a huge Webber fan, and maybe flaw wasn't the right word but it does seem likely that the old pan was a better design.

I'm not saying the new water-pan design is the reason, but I can't think of why people are not getting the heat they want and some are going through a lot of charcoal trying to get it.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, look I don't mean to be overly-challenging, but it just seems hard to believe that there's really a design issue that's causing all this, given the overwhelming positive feedback on the WSM.

I'll take a look at these links later today to see what's up. It's kinda ridiculous that none of my search terms yielded anything usable whatsoever.

OP original concern was not getting enough heat (above 300o basically).

Something most seem to have forgotten is that the WSM is designed for low and slow cooking (225-275). Anytime you try to get above those temps, you are trying to alter it's basic design. IMO, it's not designed for high heat (300+) so I can't understand how you can complain about something you are trying to circumvent/bypass/exceed in it's inherent design.

It's doing it's job and anything you try to subvert that design, well good luck trying.

Unless I misunderstand the purpose of a unit designed for 225o cooking.

OP original concern was not getting enough heat (above 300o basically).

Something most seem to have forgotten is that the WSM is designed for low and slow cooking (225-275). Anytime you try to get above those temps, you are trying to alter it's basic design. IMO, it's not designed for high heat (300+) so I can't understand how you can complain about something you are trying to circumvent/bypass/exceed in it's inherent design.

It's doing it's job and anything you try to subvert that design, well good luck trying.

Unless I misunderstand the purpose of a unit designed for 225o cooking.

Yeah but he should be able to hit 350 with a water-less water bowl. I've never had issues hitting those temps with all vents open and no water in the bowl, whether 18" or 22".

See his quote:

First lit, I got a bit over 350 degrees, but it began dropping soon. Put the foiled empty water pan in, empty foil pan to catch drippings on the lower grill, and an 11-pound brined spatchcocked turkey on the top grill. All vents have been open all along. I can approach 275, but no amount of blowing gets much higher - certainly not to 325-350 as so many people recommend for turkey.

Who said the WSM was designed for 225? It's designed for stability, not necessarily 225F. It just so happens that 225, the "sweet spot", is where the WSM truly shines (at least on the 18"). I don't think Weber has ever once said "the WSM is designed to hold steady at 225F". That's the whole point of adjustable dampers -- to let you choose the rough temp that you want it to cook at.

Last edited:
It's kinda ridiculous that none of my search terms yielded anything usable whatsoever.
I searched using "water pan depth" and then started opening threads to see the context. I'm not sure there are any posts titled "New WSM Water Pan Sucks", rather it's a comment made in passing in threads comparing pre-2009 model to current model.

I searched using "water pan depth" and then started opening threads to see the context. I'm not sure there are any posts titled "New WSM Water Pan Sucks", rather it's a comment made in passing in threads comparing pre-2009 model to current model.

I think we were on different pages. Given the original thread topic of temperature-related problems, I challenged a post claiming the bowl is flawed, based off the context of temperature. Looking back, it seems perhaps he meant just in general.

Having owned a later-model 18" for 4-5 yrs, I can agree with assessment that the bowl is too close to the coals in terms of access, but I still managed just fine. If I ever had any difficulties adding wood, I would just use heat gloves and carefully rotate the middle+upper section 180 degrees, then re-open the door and add to any missing areas. This was rarely needed though.

I tend to prepare my fire by filling the middle with a removable item, then laying down some chunks right on the grate, then adding coals til 2/3 full, then a few more chunks, then 100% full, then topped with more chunks. It ends up smoking for quite a while that way. Not sure what everyone else does.

I've also been meaning to get a clay pot to put in my 22" model, though the stock pan has tons of clearance below it.

Back