Can't get enough heat

Last edited:
Brinkmann did declare chapter 11, but so far it only affects returns and warranty parts. As of a month ago you could still get water pans, I ordered one along with some grates for my heavily moded ECB. ;-)

Brinkmann did declare chapter 11, but so far it only affects returns and warranty parts. As of a month ago you could still get water pans, I ordered one along with some grates for my heavily moded ECB. ;-)
Their website says, "As of November 24, 2015 we are no longer selling product." I suspect there's plenty of product out there as inventory at various retailers, but that may diminish over time.

Ouch!

I, too, am not satisfied with the shape of the 18" water bowl, as I like to pile on the coals and wood above the ring, but the deep bowl design keeps me from doing so.

EDIT: Will this charcoal pan work with my post-2009 18" smoker?...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B012VPEPBQ/tvwb-20

I just bought this one and used it today - a water pan, not a charcoal pan. Worked very well, and I can actually get to the charcoal and wood without hitting the pan.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0049EYYCS/tvwb-20

Regarding my original post - I have found limited solutions. Last night I put in a 13.7 pound (untrimmed) brisket at about 11 PM. I had bought two bags of Royal Oak briquettes and a bag of RO lump. I used a whole bag of briquettes initially (about 3 chimneys) including the lit one I put on top. I boiled the water (probably not more than half a gallon and put it into my new foiled Brinkmann water pan. Temps initially went up nicely, and at 300 I closed the lower dampers to 1/2 - after less than an hour I was running with everything open trying to get heat again. I checked again at 3:30 AM and temps were 225 or so. At about 7 AM I lit a chimney of Royal Oak lump and dropped it onto the remaining briquettes, then filled the ring to the top with unlit lump. I was able to run till about 2:00 in the afternoon with intermittent fire stirring, adding another scoop or two of lump, and on average I had the lower dampers about 3/4. Once the brisket hit 205 degrees I took it inside and decided to see what would happen with the temp. Having had the top off for a while removing the meat, I initially got over 250 and eventually closed the dampers to 1/4. An hour later I was still almost 250, and then it started to fall. Right now, 5:30, it's still lit with everything open and having stirred the remaining coals, running about 225. And there's still water in the pan, which I've never refilled. It was boiling during the cook, but never ran out.

15 pounds of briquettes and maybe 10 pounds of lump - an expensive way to cook $35 worth of meat. Costco had a Kamado Joe road show right next to the brisket when we went to buy meat last night. I want one. Bad.

Regarding my original post - I have found limited solutions. Last night I put in a 13.7 pound (untrimmed) brisket at about 11 PM. I had bought two bags of Royal Oak briquettes and a bag of RO lump. I used a whole bag of briquettes initially (about 3 chimneys) including the lit one I put on top. I boiled the water (probably not more than half a gallon and put it into my new foiled Brinkmann water pan. Temps initially went up nicely, and at 300 I closed the lower dampers to 1/2 - after less than an hour I was running with everything open trying to get heat again. I checked again at 3:30 AM and temps were 225 or so. At about 7 AM I lit a chimney of Royal Oak lump and dropped it onto the remaining briquettes, then filled the ring to the top with unlit lump. I was able to run till about 2:00 in the afternoon with intermittent fire stirring, adding another scoop or two of lump, and on average I had the lower dampers about 3/4. Once the brisket hit 205 degrees I took it inside and decided to see what would happen with the temp. Having had the top off for a while removing the meat, I initially got over 250 and eventually closed the dampers to 1/4. An hour later I was still almost 250, and then it started to fall. Right now, 5:30, it's still lit with everything open and having stirred the remaining coals, running about 225. And there's still water in the pan, which I've never refilled. It was boiling during the cook, but never ran out.

15 pounds of briquettes and maybe 10 pounds of lump - an expensive way to cook $35 worth of meat. Costco had a Kamado Joe road show right next to the brisket when we went to buy meat last night. I want one. Bad.

Honestly, I'm stumped at this point. Maybe I'm missing something. That sounds like a relatively straight-forward cook, maybe a tiny bit fuel-hungry, but nothing crazy. First off, a WSM has never been a Kamado/BGE nor is it supposed to be. You won't get that level of insulation.

Second off, you said you put the brisket on at 11pm. Let's assume you had the charcoals burning starting at 10? So from 10pm to 5:30pm the next day and STILL running at 225. That's 19.5 hrs worth of coal burning. 25 lbs of coal is certainly not out of the realm of possibilities. On any cook over about 12 hrs, I'm almost certainly going to be going through a whole bag of KBB on my 22", and if I recall from my 18" days, a typical cook on a set of pork butts (22lbs) took up pretty much an entire bag.

Third, you need to clarify some stuff. You say "at 300 I closed the lower dampers to 1/2 - after less than an hour I was running with everything open trying to get heat again.". What does that mean? What was the temp? Had you opened the lid recently? Did you simply mistake the fire "settling in" for a temp drop? So many different factors.

I'm starting to wonder what your expectations actually are with the WSM? Are you expecting something along the lines of being able to cook multiple briskets on a single bag? Cuz it's not happening. And charcoal is certainly not expensive. You say it's going to get expensive, but I spent under 100 bucks on charcoal this year, and I still have 3 bags of KBB left. I've done probably 25-30 cooks this year, at minimum. Charcoal IS cheap.

My honest suggestion to you is to join or consult a local BBQ/grilling club and get someone to come do a cook with you, perhaps. If your smoker isn't showing signs of massive leaks, I've really got nothing else to suggest, other than to think maybe you're reacting to rapidly to your smoker and doing things to the dampers that actually harm it, rather than letting it be. It's really hard to say.

Last edited:
Karl, I'm not knocking briquettes, but I can get at least 12 hours of 250 to 275 degree heat with RO lump and water in the pan (using the entire 8.5lb bag). The day will come when I try briquettes in the smoker again, but probably not during cold weather.

I need to keep better records, but I don't usually fiddle with the lower vents unless the smoking temps get much above 275, and then I will close the vent(s) off a bit, but no more than 50% unless wind is an issue.

Last edited:
Easiest way to raise the temp of the WSM to over 300F is to prop the lid, leaving a little extra space for air to channel. The problem isn't so much the bottom vents allowing enough air in, its the single top vent.

I did 2 boston butts yesterday with temps running 340 consistently on the WSM. I was running the digiq, but could not get the temps up past 300. It took me about 1 1/2 hours to figure out leaving the access door clipped on the top but just hanging loose on the bottom (left a gap of about 3/4" on the bottom) got the temps up to where I wanted. This was my first try at high heat and the pulled pork turned out great.

That's the charcoal pan. The headline is inaccurate. The description says, "Holds up to 12 lbs. of charcoal for vertical smokers."

Maybe so, but it's 15" diameter and fits perfectly - better than the repurposed Weber "Smoky Joe" part that the 18" WSM now comes with. Good access to the fire, and (I foiled it) it still looks the same as when I put it in there. I used less than half a gallon of (started with it boiling) water and though it seemed to be boiling whenever I looked at it, I never had to add water through the 17-hour cook and I had water to dump out when I cleaned up after the coals all burned out.

It's porcelain (thinner than Weber) and held up fine.

Does it matter, or might this actually be intended for both applications? I suppose it's not possible to ask Brinkmann any more.

Maybe so, but it's 15" diameter and fits perfectly - better than the repurposed Weber "Smoky Joe" part that the 18" WSM now comes with. Good access to the fire, and (I foiled it) it still looks the same as when I put it in there. I used less than half a gallon of (started with it boiling) water and though it seemed to be boiling whenever I looked at it, I never had to add water through the 17-hour cook and I had water to dump out when I cleaned up after the coals all burned out.

It's porcelain (thinner than Weber) and held up fine.

Does it matter, or might this actually be intended for both applications? I suppose it's not possible to ask Brinkmann any more.
Not disagreeing with you. I've owned two of these pans for years, they work great and are better than either the pre-2009 or post-2009 Weber pans, IMHO. I was just pointing out the error in the Amazon listing. It has always been a point of confusion for WSM owners...buying the Brinkmann CHARCOAL pan for use as a WSM water pan.

I doubt Brinkmann ever intended it for both Brinkmann and Weber use.

I ran 2 18.5" models side by side on a pork butt smoke this smer, 1 with a Piedmont Pan full of water and the other with the stock 2009+ pan full of water. The one with the Piedmont Pan ran slightly hotter, and used noticeably less water and charcoal than the stock bowl equipped smoker.

I've got much more heat now. I tried Royal Oak lump and though it's only small pieces, it works way better than Kingsford briquettes. RO briquettes are hotter than Kingsford too, but lots of dust in the bottom of the bag. THEN I found Kamado Joe lump at Costco - part of a special one-week-only promotion of their grills. I'd love a Kamado, but I'm not sure I want to buy a lesser-known one from a newer company, and made in China, just because it's on sale. But the Kamado Joe lump is terrific. Large pieces of charcoal - parts of a tree, not floor sweepings from a millwork plant. At $30 for a twin-pack (40 pounds total) - only on Costco's special this week. I'm going to buy about ten 2-packs and store it till I run out. Where else can I get nice lump like that ?

I've got much more heat now. I tried Royal Oak lump and though it's only small pieces, it works way better than Kingsford briquettes. RO briquettes are hotter than Kingsford too, but lots of dust in the bottom of the bag. THEN I found Kamado Joe lump at Costco - part of a special one-week-only promotion of their grills. I'd love a Kamado, but I'm not sure I want to buy a lesser-known one from a newer company, and made in China, just because it's on sale. But the Kamado Joe lump is terrific. Large pieces of charcoal - parts of a tree, not floor sweepings from a millwork plant. At $30 for a twin-pack (40 pounds total) - only on Costco's special this week. I'm going to buy about ten 2-packs and store it till I run out. Where else can I get nice lump like that ?

I haven't encountered that yet (except for the dust), and the last bag I used had some rather large pieces in it.

Good to see you got your temps up.

As a follow-up, I have solved my "lack of heat" issues - I believe it was a combination of fuel and heat loss.

Switching to quality lump charcoal was a revelation. The RO lump I bought from Home Depot may have been abused, but the bag looked good and it was available. Really small pieces overall, but it certainly outperformed KBB. Then I lucked into Kamado Joe lump - a product bagged in Argentina. Huge pieces - hunks of tree in the bag. Little dust at the bottom of the bag and few little pieces at all. Burns so clean that after using a full over the top ring of charcoal (which went 20 hours total including many hours at high heat), I could've done the same probably twice, maybe more, without emptying the ashes. That's some efficient fuel usage. Because it was a one-time sale and it's pretty expensive at regular price, my wife and I went back and bought 20 bags. I should get at least a year out of that if I keep cooking at the present rate, though with the increased efficiency I may go a good bit longer than just a year with 400 pounds.

Heat loss in late fall and winter weather here in the Chicago area made it hard to gain enough heat. My first cook it rained and snowed, and things only got worse with rain and/or snow on about 5 cooks so far. Every time I cook it seems to get windy, and even without the heat loss the wind into the vents must've been an issue too. I finally bought a 4x6 fiberglass welding blanket from Harbor Freight, and suddenly getting and keeping heat isn't so difficult any more.

Finally, I just used my HeaterMeter for the first time, and that's another revelation. Some well-experienced pitmasters claim to have it "dialed in" with nothing more than twisting the vents on their WSM's, but I really wanted to get this going without driving myself crazy for months and dozens of cooks learning how to control heat in wildly varying weather conditions. A stoker is definitely a shortcut to stable temperatures, and remotely checking temperature is so nice. I've trudged out into the rain and snow and dark too many times in my few cooks, and all the time in the smoke always leaves me smelling like a cheap hot dog. Yesterday I almost wished for a little smoke smell on me - after an 18-hour cook I still didn't smell like I'd been camping.

All of this makes me really glad I went with a Weber as opposed to a Kamado. Yes, I may eventually decide I need a Kamado too, but the portability of the Weber and the variety of modifications and accessories already developed make it a great way to learn and probably stay with long term.

Thanks to one and all who've offered such good advice and so many great suggestions.

Karl

Last edited:
Glad it finally worked out for you Karl.
The most important thing is learning how your WSM behaves in your
backyard.:wsm:

Thanks for posting back, Karl!

I'm glad lump charcoal is helping you out in such a cold climate. I'll have to keep the welding blanket in mind. Was that option more for wind, or heat loss from cold weather?

Back