Butter or mayonnaise?

JohnTak

TVWBB Pro
I have been reading about using mayonnaise instead of butter on chicken and turkey to get crispy skin. It's too late for this Thanksgiving but if there is enough positive feedback I might try it in the future. Would you mix in seasonings or sprinkle on the outside?

Have not tried mayo on poultry, but it's all the rage this year. I heard J. Kenji Lopez-Alt singing the praises on mayo on a recent podcast somewhere.

I have been reading about using mayonnaise instead of butter on chicken and turkey to get crispy skin. It's too late for this Thanksgiving but if there is enough positive feedback I might try it in the future. Would you mix in seasonings or sprinkle on the outside?
Always and forever. Excellent replacement for butter whether grilled cheese sandwich or rub base. Perfect browning.4CEA9FB6-E0FD-4848-827C-68A06AAE4BE0.jpeg

Last edited:
Thomas Keller of The French Laundry does mayo slathered roast turkey. Although his half inch of mayo coating is way more than I use.

Below are the two bone in mayo turkey breasts I did on the Silver B for Thanksgiving.

The only turkey method I like more is the buttermilk brine. But the mayo method is just so simple it is the only one I use anymore.

Mix some herbs in the mayo, slather, cook. No brining or anything else.

Attachments

• mayo turkey.jpg
    mayo turkey.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Well mayonnaise is just basically oil and egg..... And a touch of lemon juice... In a stable emulsion. We might brush things we bake with egg to help them brown and crisp......... So it's not like this is really wild or anything.

My mayonnaise has paprika and cayenne pepper in it so.....even better

I have been making a mayo and grated parmesan paste. Slop it all over chicken breasts add bread crumbs and bake. Could not be more juicy and tender.
Minus the bread crumbs that's great on potatoes halves or quarters, add some spice and bake at 425.

I would say it depends on your family heart history, according to the American Dietetic Association. your better bet is mayonnaise, which contains less saturated fat than butter (1.5 g per tablespoon versus 7.3 g in butter).

1. I think butter is way better for grilled cheese. Mayo is easy... but butter rules in this category IMO

2. I have not tried Mayo schmeared on chicken, but it's on my list to try.

3. Dukes mayonnaise is not allowed in my house (Hellmann's for the win)

Thomas Keller of The French Laundry does mayo slathered roast turkey. Although his half inch of mayo coating is way more than I use.

Below are the two bone in mayo turkey breasts I did on the Silver B for Thanksgiving.

The only turkey method I like more is the buttermilk brine. But the mayo method is just so simple it is the only one I use anymore.

Mix some herbs in the mayo, slather, cook. No brining or anything else.
Keller’s Bouchon restaurant and bakery are much better than French Laundry, IMO. If you’re in the are (Yountville), I highly recommend Bouchon.

1. I think butter is way better for grilled cheese. Mayo is easy... but butter rules in this category IMO

2. I have not tried Mayo schmeared on chicken, but it's on my list to try.

3. Dukes mayonnaise is not allowed in my house (Hellmann's for the win)
How about Kewpie?

Nah, neither
No butter, no mayonaisse ;)
Mustard mixed with rosenary and some olive oil

(I don't have butter and mayo in the house)

We use plain yellow mustard for our binder for KFC and other coatings. You can't taste the mustard and it works really well.
Although after seeing this thread I'll have to give mayo a try.

How about Kewpie?
Might give Kewpie a try sometime soon... It's supposed to be good stuff but not sure if it's all hype or not. When I do try it, we'll definitely have some Hellmanns on hand for a side by side and my supertaster (aka Mrs JohnK) will be on hand to tell me which she likes better. Her reaction was pretty priceless when she tried Duke's 🤣

Note: I finally made homemade mayo this year, and it was definitely better than Hellmanns. I just don't have enough time to mess with making it all the time when we're used to Hellmanns and the Hellmann's is pretty cheap and easy to come by.

I’m going to try Kewpie on some chicken thighs tonight. I will do half in Kewpie and the other half of the other chicken with Best Foods to see if I can tell which is which and test the skin crispness.

Might give Kewpie a try sometime soon... It's supposed to be good stuff but not sure if it's all hype or not. When I do try it, we'll definitely have some Hellmanns on hand for a side by side and my supertaster (aka Mrs JohnK) will be on hand to tell me which she likes better. Her reaction was pretty priceless when she tried Duke's 🤣

Note: I finally made homemade mayo this year, and it was definitely better than Hellmanns. I just don't have enough time to mess with making it all the time when we're used to Hellmanns and the Hellmann's is pretty cheap and easy to come by.

Back