Butter or mayonnaise?

I'll experiment with my lemon chicken tomorrow.

The verdict is in: I notice no difference when using mayo in place of oil with the recipe I used. The chicken came out no less tasty than before.

Of course, this may differ depending on the marinade. If mayo is only a minor player in the ingredients being used, which I think it is in my case, that may be relevant to outcome.

I’m going to try Kewpie on some chicken thighs tonight. I will do half in Kewpie and the other half of the other chicken with Best Foods to see if I can tell which is which and test the skin crispness.
I dry brined the thighs with spg and air dried them in the fridge for 6 hours. Coated half with Kewpie and half with Best foods and roasted in the convection oven @375 for 50 minutes. Pulled the skin for test, both were nice and crispy with no difference in flavor that I could detect. After a windy and rainy day it was a decent dinner.:)

Depending on the meat and how I’m cooking it I often go with mayo, butter, or a combination of the two. Been using mayo on meats and poultry since the mid-80s. This past Thanksgiving it was herbed mayo to start and a cloth-soaked mix of herbed butter, stock, wine and honey at the 3/4 mark.

Thomas Keller of The French Laundry does mayo slathered roast turkey. Although his half inch of mayo coating is way more than I use.

Below are the two bone in mayo turkey breasts I did on the Silver B for Thanksgiving.

The only turkey method I like more is the buttermilk brine. But the mayo method is just so simple it is the only one I use anymore.

Mix some herbs in the mayo, slather, cook. No brining or anything else.
Will have to try mayo. Wet buttermilk brine was my go to for years for turkey, got that idea way back from K Kruger. Moved dry brining last couple years. Was thinking about mayo this round but changed my mind. Will have to give it a try.

Considering the main ingredient in mayonnaise is oil, no reason to think it could not be used as a substitute in many instances.

I just made my first grilled cheese with mayo. It tastes pretty much the same as butter. I thought it was not quite as crisp, but I may have put it on a little heavier than I needed. It darkens up more and quicker. Easier to spread. This was on sourdough bread with Havarti cheese. May be more noticeable with white bread. I will experiment further.

I just made my first grilled cheese with mayo. It tastes pretty much the same as butter. I thought it was not quite as crisp, but I may have put it on a little heavier than I needed. It darkens up more and quicker. Easier to spread. This was on sourdough bread with Havarti cheese. May be more noticeable with white bread. I will experiment further.
Part of that is going to be temp. In the winter, we keep the house at 68 degrees, and butter set out remains just a bit on the set side, mayo will definitely spread easier. In the summer, the house will be a good 10 degrees warmer and butter spreads a lot easier.

Soft white bread.....we like English muffin bread, it's sturdier (okay, depends on bakery.) Sourdough tends to be a bit crusty for me, personally.

If I want crisp grilled cheese I put butter in the pan and let it bubble off some moisture, then blot the bread on top.

I've never tried mayo on a grilled cheese sammie

Depending on the meat and how I’m cooking it I often go with mayo, butter, or a combination of the two. Been using mayo on meats and poultry since the mid-80s. This past Thanksgiving it was herbed mayo to start and a cloth-soaked mix of herbed butter, stock, wine and honey at the 3/4 mark.
This sounds amazing.

Back