BroilMaster P3 Restore

I agree with Larry. It looks to me like the Music City one is in the larger size - 21" wide vs. 17" for the smaller one - that, as Larry said, is now what Broilmaster sells for both the large "3" and the smaller "4" size grills.

I don't how much difference it makes, but it would seem the wider old style burner would give more even coverage in the large Broilmaster.

I believe the grease management system if you can call it that, is basically for what does not burn off and makes it to the bottom, stays in the bottom. There is no slope or channeling to the rear drip pan. In fact the 2 drip pans I have are in nice clean shape, because grease just never made it there. View attachment 29736View attachment 29737
So what happens to the grease that makes it to the bottom? Does it flare up or cause grease fires? Have you tried to searing a greasy cut of meat on it?

I believe the plan is for most of it to land on the the ceramic briquettes and eventually vaporize. But just like Weber's flavorizer bars, it will not catch everything. I just took 2 Broilmasters apart and after removing the firebox from the stand, both had grease followed by corrosion where the numerous holes and bolts go through the fire box. I can not fathom what the engineers were thinking. In the Webers you have nice sliding out enameled grease tray and pan with liners to catch everything and is quite easy to clean. I have a new appreciation for Weber's grease tray and pan setup. So far this is the only and quite serious flaw in the BM's. I am also going to have google how to install a new igniter as after examination I do not see nuts, bolts or anyway they come out. Not to mention 3x the price of the Weber ones. I am wondering if a Q320 would mount on one of these nice stands?

Totally agree about grease. The bottom of my firebox is solid, but the grease management is lacking for sure.

It took me 3 passes with the scraper to just SEE the bottom. And dear God the smell was just awful. Yuk.

As others have stated, the factory burner was 21" but the NEW Factory is 17." BroilMaster claims that they are able to do this because they developed a "single piece burner" that is more effective at throwing the flame around, but I'm personally inclined to look at the aftermarket 21" options that fill the fire box.

If you're feeling really fancy someone also make a cast iron 21" burner that is really supposed to be special, but it's $150.

Mission accomplished (phase 1). My wife, Rico and I went to Williamsburg, VA Beach, and Yorktown and bought 3 Broilmasters.
1) $20 NG version with a wooden side and front tables that are falling apart. 2 of the 3 CI grates are probably OK, no grease tray and rest of internals toast.
2) $50 Almost did not buy as 2 holes in firebox from where an old shelf (not included) ripped out of the firebox. However all internals seem ok and had SS grates so I bought it.
3) $75 (originally asking $275, agree on $150 before I saw it). Internals shot, but 3 good CI grates, 2 plastic side shelves, 1 folding plastic front shelf and best condition of the 3 on lid and FB.
I should be able to get 1 decent grill working with the parts. If I decide it is a keeper after some testing I will rebuild with new internals and use existing parts for second grill.
I do not know what I should do about what will be the NG version with the firebox with 2 extra shelf holes. I am temped to test out Broilmaster customer support to do a comparison with Weber. If not, I could JB Weld epoxy putty or try to part out and sell the lid and base.
Are there serial #s on these Broilmasters some place?

Parts for these seem expensive vs Weber
Burners seem to rust out way more than any Weber I have seen (See pics)
Does any know what that little metal piece was sticking up in bottom of Firebox?
View attachment 28487View attachment 28488View attachment 28489View attachment 28490
I totally missed this post. You're a real piece of work haha.

Which burners did you end up buying? I found a good deal on the new smaller burner, but if the bigger one is worth it, I'll spend the extra money...

I am now running on just the parts I got. I have not purchased anything new except thermometer and about to buy an igniter for the one I am going to sell. These things are a B***H to take apart and restore. I think I am going to have to drill out the old igniter as I can't even find any nuts that held it on. I had to Dremel off the bolts for the thermometer to remove it. I was just out painting the firebox and lid for the flip one. I have a pretty good (hopefully passable) burner and parts to make it work. I will take some pics when I put it together. I am thinking that this is going to be my first money looser grill. The ones I have seen for sale even in OK shape sit for a while and go for less than $100.
I meant to ask if you have any shelves for yours as I did not see any in the pics?

Yah, I did one BM restore and that will be it for me. The lack of availability of parts and their prices make it a rough go. Add in the fact that I have a lot less familiarity with them and they just are not a good rehab and flip prospect for me. But, I do like the grills.

Yep, I have to admit that the evidence points strongly against thinking you can sell these Broilmasters at a profit, but that is exactly what I did with three of them. I also see them languishing for weeks unsold, although none look very nice. I am in pretty deep with a large collection of parts. I need carts and then I will get them done and see if advertising them well restored and with better write-up can make a difference. If it doesn’t, I just want to end up with one nice large one with stainless waterfall grates and old fashioned wood tables for my keeper. Sell off any parts I don’t think I will need for my keeper and call it a day. I still have a little hope I can do better, though.

Yep, I have to admit that the evidence points strongly against thinking you can sell these Broilmasters at a profit, but that is exactly what I did with three of them. I also see them languishing for weeks unsold, although none look very nice. I am in pretty deep with a large collection of parts. I need carts and then I will get them done and see if advertising them well restored and with better write-up can make a difference. If it doesn’t, I just want to end up with one nice large one with stainless waterfall grates and old fashioned wood tables for my keeper. Sell off any parts I don’t think I will need for my keeper and call it a day. I still have a little hope I can do better, though.
I am doing the same. After I get the flip put together I should have 1 wood side, 1 wood front front, 2 CI grates, a ss cart, NG Twin Valve Assembly, coal grate, and spare lid. I will take some pics give you first shot at them. Shipping the cart could be expensive though. Whatever you don't want goes up on eBay I think. What I really want for my "Keeper" is stainless folding shelves all around, but they are costly new.

Jon, I think you can probably move most of them for a profit, but not much of a profit. I sold my BM for $400 but I didn't list it until late in the season and I started at $490 and wound up dropping it to $400 before I got a buyer. It was actually snowing on us when I met the guy to for him to pick it up. I probably had $250 into it but a lot of time. I can make more money on Silver B and spend about 1/4 of the time on it. Of course, I have the Silver B process pretty well down and all the parts sourced so that helps a lot.
I would love to do some more of them, but the ROI is just not enough for me.

The igniter I had was mounted through the box. They sell 2 different ones. The less expensive one looks like it may mount to the burner? Can I use either? I like the idea of saving $10.

Did all the BM grills have igniters? I don't think the one I restored had an igniter.

My broilmaster was from the 70's. Where would I expect to find it on this grill if it had one?

20200811 BroilMaster - After (29).JPG20200811 BroilMaster - After (17).JPG?

I can’t say I know for sure, but it seems obvious from the one you did, Bruce, that in those early days Broilmaster just assumed people would light with a long match. I don’t think there were long lighters back then, either!

I guess I am old. I definitely remember my friend’s family having a post-mounted gas grill of some brand back in the very early 70s. I think that’s one thing that hurts Broilmaster; these grills look like they are stuck in that time period. Besides flavorizer bars and the three burner layout, Weber also substantially advanced STYLE in gas grills😎.

Yah, that is kind of what I was thinking that the piezo style igniters were not a thing until later into the 80's.

So today I made these 3" backing plates for the shelves. After seeing what ripping the shelf off did to a fire box I decided it needed reinforcing. Whenever I move the grill I do it by lifting on the right shelf. These will help calm my nerves when doing it in the future. I have my first drill press and one of the plates came loose from the clamp and I instinctively reached for it and did a nice and slice on my finger. A little harder to type now.
20210608_154157.jpg

Back