BroilMaster P3 Restore

So today I made these 3" backing plates for the shelves. After seeing what ripping the shelf off did to a fire box I decided it needed reinforcing. Whenever I move the grill I do it by lifting on the right shelf. These will help calm my nerves when doing it in the future. I have my first drill press and one of the plates came loose from the clamp and I instinctively reached for it and did a nice and slice on my finger. A little harder to type now.
View attachment 29868
Yeah Joe you were lucky. After a couple of near misses I bought a vice that bolts onto the table of my drill press. I got it at the Canadian equivalent of Harbour Freight and it was well worth the small investment. Safety First!

Yeah Joe you were lucky. After a couple of near misses I bought a vice that bolts onto the table of my drill press. I got it at the Canadian equivalent of Harbour Freight and it was well worth the small investment. Safety First!
I guess I am going to look into one of those tonight. It is so nice having a drill press. I have been wanting one for a long time.

Well as fate would have it I just picked up another. I basically bought it for the SS shelves. Someone may come tomorrow to see the one for sale.
Here is the one I picked up. Needs a Burner and coal rack as they were shot. I swear this is the last one. In fact unless something spectacular falls my way I am done restoring grill for the foreseeable future. I just wanted the SS shelves.....

Just received my Music City Metals Burner. Looks good. I did not realize this is really 3 pieces, 2 separate burners, and I have to put them together. They seem like good quality. A magnet does stick. This will go into the "keeper" and I will move that one to the one I plan to sell as it is in pretty good shape. When done I will do the griddle smash burger test. If it passes, the BM will probably replace my Q320 as it seems more versatile.

Attachments

• 20210615_132553.jpg
    20210615_132553.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 20210615_133920.jpg
    20210615_133920.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 8
Thanks for the update. I finally measured mine and it has the "updated" smaller 17 in burner. It doesn't look that small in there, but the music man isn't much more, so I may spring for it. The guy I had this one lined up for has suddenly gotten cold feet, so it looks like I may be in this one for about $150 and will be lucky to break even.

Overall these grills are not nearly as fun to work in as an old Genesis. I'm having trouble staying motivated to finish this one.
Just received my Music City Metals Burner. Looks good. I did not realize this is really 3 pieces, 2 separate burners, and I have to put them together. They seem like good quality. A magnet does stick. This will go into the "keeper" and I will move that one to the one I plan to sell as it is in pretty good shape. When done I will do the griddle smash burger test. If it passes, the BM will probably replace my Q320 as it seems more versatile.

The large burner fills that whole box. If it where not for this discussion I would not have known or even noticed that the burners I had where the smaller ones. Now that I put that large burner in it looks huge. I sold the first one I listed above for $160 with the wood shelves I made. I finished the second this week and have it listed for $275 since it has the folding warming rack and 3 shelves. My keeper is just about done with the new large burner, 2 fixed SS side shelves (even though I am only installing one for now to make it fit the porch where my Q320 fits) and folding SS front shelf. I really do like the a la carte nature of the grill and customizing options that are available. Would love that IR side burner.

You are right - These a a b***ch to work on. Even fixing or replacing the dam casters is a work in futility as you can not get to the nuts, and they are a weird 1"x2" mounting plate size. I have now completely ripped apart 4 of these and am very happy to just have my keeper and never try to flip another.

Here is a picture of my new large burner installed, and the ad for my second BM.

20210617_114919.jpg

OK me done. Sold both spare Broilmasters and this is my keeper. I do have the second side shelf but will not have room for it if it takes the place of my Q320 on our porch. The test will be tomorrow night as I will do the smash burger test as well as seer some salmon. I will report back then and let you know if it can supplant my Q. Not an easy task.

20210617_210612.jpg20210617_210708.jpg

Grill passed the smash burger test. But the Q320 did win with the dedicated griddle as the Q took less time and probably a lot less LP. I thought with twice the BTUs the BM would be the runaway winner. But the smaller closer to flame Q320 is the front runner. But sadly the BM is a lot more versatile than the Q and I don't need 3 gassers so I will clean up the Q and offer her up to a new home. I am keeping the griddle as who knows what will happen down the road. I think this is my last post here unless something comes up. Thanks guys. Been kind of a fun / frustrating experience. Here are some pics. And Brandon - Let us know how you get on.
20210618_173811.jpg20210618_175351.jpg20210618_175602.jpg

The Broilmaster just replaced my Q320 on my small side porch as I just sold the Q. I will now have my Genesis 5 as my museum piece and the BM as my go to gasser. It seems to be a very versatile grill, but that makes it a little more work. Moving grates around, they rotate and go up and down to get all 3 positions. It is quite messy work.
Here is last nights cook. 2 chickens on the rotisserie. One Peruvian, one. Italian dressing / Ketchup with a little heat.2 chicken roti.jpg

I have NO experience - yet - with rotisserie, but I think Joe's picture seems to establish that the large Broilmaster "bow-tie" burner is fully capable of this method. No back infrared and not E-W, but it seems pretty hard to argue with his results!

I know Joe had his share of frustrations and that these didn't do much for him money-wise, but it looks to me like he wound up with a really nice cooker. I hope to get there myself by this fall.

I tried it on mine when I had it. Honestly wasn't impressed. Still give me my Genesis or the rear burner on the Wolf.

As I said, I know little about rotisserie. Having E-W or a rear burner across the back certainly makes the most sense. Still, with this large size Broilmaster outfitted with the LARGE burner, it certainly looks like coverage was very adequate. I would be proud to bring in one of those chickens, and he was able to do TWO that both look great to me.

The bowtie offers, I think, a blend of E-W and N-S. I don't think he would get those results from a newer N-S Weber. I suspect that the smaller Broilmaster - or a large one with the SMALL burner they now use - would also not perform as well. Not nearly the coverage area.

What helps the BM achieve way better rotisserie than any NS burner Genesis is the depth of the fire box. If it wasn't for the depth of that firebox on the BM anything you put there would go up in smoke. Not saying it did not work. Jus that I get/got far better results with a true Genesis or the Wolf. But make no mistake I got decent results and it was my only grill I would live with that. But I had the luxury of comparisons. At the time I had the Summit 450, I had the P3 BM, I had the Wolf and I had the Genesis all on my crowded deck LOL. I would rate them as follows in rotisserie performance/convenience. At #1 in actual performance my TRUE Genesis. But I would rate the Genesis #2 in convenience due to not being able to do rotisserie AND grate cooking all at once. Wolf #2 in performance, #1 Convenience. The Wolf can do it all and all at once. That is HUGE in my book. #3 in performance and #4 in convenience would be the Broilmaster P3. Did "fine" in performance but fails miserably in convenience that #4 is a VERY distant #4. And a VERY distant last in performance was the Summit. N/S burners are just a horrible fail in my experience But the Summit comes in at a VERY close #3 in convenience. Again because of the ability to multi task.
So there you have it from actual user experience. Not speculation but having lived with and really used all 4 examples

So you got me curious. I went and measured. My P3 has 6 1/2" clearance between rotisserie spit and top of briquets. My Genesis 5 13 bar has 6" to the top row, and 7.5" to the bottom row of flavorizers, so not a huge difference. The last rotisserie cook I did was 1 chicken and I put it on one side and kept the grate on the other. The half bowtie did a splendid job of keeping a nice even heat under the chicken. So in that respect you have the convenience and flexibility of your Wolf in a smaller package . Except maybe for your Wolf, almost all the "consumer" grade grills you have to remove the grates. I would be interested in knowing if there are other grills (that don't cost more than cars) that have enough clearance to use grates and roti at same time.

if there are other grills (that don't cost more than cars) that have enough clearance to use grates and roti at same time.
Yeah me too. LOL. I loved the analogy BTW. Although truth be told I don't even have $500 in my Wolf LOL and that is WITH the custom grates Dave Santana built for me. My Summit had the space but did a terrible job on rotisserie. My thing with doing rotisserie cooking is the advantage of being able to use higher heat than normal but not from under the food so you get great surface "crust" with out incinerating it in a ball of flames.

Back