BroilMaster P3 Restore

BrandonHudson

TVWBB Fan
My dad pick up this P3HG-1 BroilMaster over the weekend for me. Guy was firm on $30, but condition appears good. He included some new parts, but I'm not sure if I'll need them or where they even go. He was running it as NG, but it was a factory Propane model.

This is a low dollar experiment for a friend of mine who is moving from Colorado to Charlotte, NC in the fall and will be living in an apartment until they can find a new house. He asked me for something inexpensive and durable that wouldn't take up a ton of space on the patio.

I won't be able to lay hands on it for at least a few weeks, but I wanted to share it in case anyone had any experience or tips before I get started.

Cart and firebox looks good.
IMG_20210510_095628.jpgIMG_20210510_095619.jpg
Grates look pretty rough, but I think they might be salvageable and serviceable. They are stainless.
IMG_20210510_095622.jpg

briquette tray is toast. I'll prob just convert to ceramic plates.
IMG_20210510_095610.jpg

Burner is functional, but toast. This is gonna be the most expensive part of this restore, almost $100! I may look for a donor grill that is in better shape and gut it instead.
IMG_20210510_095617.jpg

Last edited:
What type of stainless did broilmaster use for the bow tie burner? If it's not 304ss, I wouldn't feel bad using a universal h burner to replace it. Also check out the Broil King infinity burner. It's a similar shape and sells for around $50.

What type of stainless did broilmaster use for the bow tie burner? If it's not 304ss, I wouldn't feel bad using a universal h burner to replace it. Also check out the Broil King infinity burner. It's a similar shape and sells for around $50.
I'll have to take a look. It appears everything for these older models is "aftermarket" anyway, so I may be able to skimp given the use case.

I found another one near this one that is basically brand new but on a pedestal mount. Burner and grates aren't even patinaed. They are asking $175 but seem pretty motivated. If I could snag that for $100, I'd have $130 in it, which is under budget. If I do that I might put it out there for $250 locally and see if anyone bites... I've got 4 months to find a grill for my friend.

Hey Brandon, I will be happy to give whatever advice I can. I have a lot of Broilmaster parts as I want to do a few myself. Maybe I can even help with some - after tax season ends on May 17!

Regarding the burners, the Broilmaster burners are 430 stainless and made in Taiwan. It is one of the few weak points for these grills, although they do last quite a while if given reasonable care. One thing is that with no flavorizer bars they are dependent on having a good layer of ceramic briquettes or tiles to protect them. I think a lot of users don't protect them well. And that burner might be 10 years old!

I personally would NOT use a cheap, aftermarket burner to replace Broilmaster's famous "bow-tie" one. Those are really nice burners and are what deliver their incredible ability to do both low and slow and VERY HIGH HEAT searing.

IMG_5579.JPEG

These grills are actually relatively easy to make look almost new. (The wood handle was custom painted by my artist friend.)

IMG_5614.JPEG

IMG_5485.JPEG

Hey Brandon, I will be happy to give whatever advice I can. I have a lot of Broilmaster parts as I want to do a few myself. Maybe I can even help with some - after tax season ends on May 17!

Regarding the burners, the Broilmaster burners are 430 stainless and made in Taiwan. It is one of the few weak points for these grills, although they do last quite a while if given reasonable care. One thing is that with no flavorizer bars they are dependent on having a good layer of ceramic briquettes or tiles to protect them. I think a lot of users don't protect them well. And that burner might be 10 years old!

I personally would NOT use a cheap, aftermarket burner to replace Broilmaster's famous "bow-tie" one. Those are really nice burners and are what deliver their incredible ability to do both low and slow and VERY HIGH HEAT searing.

These grills are actually relatively easy to make look almost new. (The wood handle was custom painted by my artist friend.)
Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to try and buy the other parts grill.

The outside is practically new too, so I might just give up on the green grill and swap the base over.

Screenshot_20210510-213551.png

I picked up a NG Green P3 Ducks Unlimited in new condition on Kijiji at a contents sale for $40 CAD.
It was barely used (the original briquettes were still pink in colour) - I had to sand and repaint the green lid (Rustoleum High Heat Green) and sand and oil the teak shelves and handle.
The guy who sold it to me said it was his mother's - she paid $1200 CAD for it and used it twice and it sat unused and covered on their deck for years. It went through 2 yard sales and nobody was interested even at $40. The owner told me that had I not bought it - it was going to be junked in the trash.
The only thing that doesn't work is the OEM ignitor.

That 824 degree temp is WOW! Funny how this just popped up an hour a way from me. I am temped to make an offer. It looks like a grill that could actually replace my Q320 in many ways. I like the pop up front shelf and removable sides (wish they folded). Supposedly you can even get an ad on IR side burner? I don't know much about these so please take a look and let me know if worth investigating and if so what should I be looking at and maybe offer? It doesn't have the SS grates.
Thanks

I made an offer of $120 for the BM as I would love to try it out, but pretty sure there is no demand for resale. Their grills maybe great and I may want to keep it, but if I don't, I really don't want to take a bath on it if I try to re-sell it. I think the problem is the styling and image. They really need some more YouTube videos and a more modern image;-) The old Webers have a lot more style IMHO. BMs look like grills you find in parks.
The possibility of adding Smoker Shutter and IR side burner could lead me down an expensive road.

That 824 degree temp is WOW! Funny how this just popped up an hour a way from me. I am temped to make an offer. It looks like a grill that could actually replace my Q320 in many ways. I like the pop up front shelf and removable sides (wish they folded). Supposedly you can even get an ad on IR side burner? I don't know much about these so please take a look and let me know if worth investigating and if so what should I be looking at and maybe offer? It doesn't have the SS grates.
Thanks

That is an older model with the twist-spark ignition that is no longer available. You can replace it with the newer version with some slight modification.

Other than that it looks to be in fine shape. The stainless front panel indicates it is indeed one of the "premium" models.

That price seems extremely high unless it has a brand new burner ($89)

That is an older model with the twist-spark ignition that is no longer available. You can replace it with the newer version with some slight modification.

Other than that it looks to be in fine shape. The stainless front panel indicates it is indeed one of the "premium" models.

That price seems extremely high unless it has a brand new burner ($89)
All of a sudden I have 2 more possibilities. Cheap and 1 hour away but needs conversion or more $$ and 2 hours away (I think SS grates on the second one) Additional pic of inside the first one.

1621274029163.png

They are out there. The question is, “Are the buyers?” I have actually sold three Broilmaster grills for decent prices. One was to a very fruity lady who I don’t think cared at all about the custom handle, rotisserie or any of the remaining nice attributes. But she paid the asking price! The other two I sold to people I knew well who I think trusted my judgment and explanation of Broilmaster quality.

Joe, you are definitely right about these grills looking drab and out of date. The quality is extremely high, but the style is just not there. I think this is where the original Genesis hit a sweet spot by offering both. But, truthfully, a Broilmaster is a tougher built grill and can deliver higher heat if that is important to you. On a stainless cart, you have little to worry about besides keeping it clean and replacing the igniter and burner every so often.

They are out there. The question is, “Are the buyers?” I have actually sold three Broilmaster grills for decent prices. One was to a very fruity lady who I don’t think cared at all about the custom handle, rotisserie or any of the remaining nice attributes. But she paid the asking price! The other two I sold to people I knew well who I think trusted my judgment and explanation of Broilmaster quality.

Joe, you are definitely right about these grills looking drab and out of date. The quality is extremely high, but the style is just not there. I think this is where the original Genesis hit a sweet spot by offering both. But, truthfully, a Broilmaster is a tougher built grill and can deliver higher heat if that is important to you. On a stainless cart, you have little to worry about besides keeping it clean and replacing the igniter and burner every so often.
I think you are 100% correct on all accounts. I would plan on it being a keeper (but one never knows, that's why buying price is important). This looks like it could replace the Q320 as it has build quality, 2 zones, possibility of 3 folding shelves for small footprint like the Q, and lots of accessories. Did you see the Wolf grill for $100 I posted in "I will just leave this here"?

All of a sudden I have 2 more possibilities. Cheap and 1 hour away but needs conversion or more $$ and 2 hours away (I think SS grates on the second one) Additional pic of inside the first one.

View attachment 28255

Both look to be in good shape. From what I can see the valves that go to the burner are proprietary but not complex.

Great pictures. I am a glutton for punishment. I am trying to get both of the old BMs on Wednesday. I had to promise the Mrs. and dog a trip to Virginia Beach. If / When I get them back home I will post some pictures and try to document the journey of the restore if you like. I will probably be asking a lot of questions since these are my first crack at these grills. Good timing as I hope to have my last Weber restore done this weekend if the parts come in.

Both look to be in good shape. From what I can see the valves that go to the burner are proprietary but not complex.
The twin valve looks to be off the shelf but the part with the orifice and aluminum tubing look proprietary. One of the aluminum tubes look damaged in the photos. You might be able to replace it with new aluminum tubing. Ask a gas fitter.

B
My dad pick up this P3HG-1 BroilMaster over the weekend for me. Guy was firm on $30, but condition appears good. He included some new parts, but I'm not sure if I'll need them or where they even go. He was running it as NG, but it was a factory Propane model.

This is a low dollar experiment for a friend of mine who is moving from Colorado to Charlotte, NC in the fall and will be living in an apartment until they can find a new house. He asked me for something inexpensive and durable that wouldn't take up a ton of space on the patio.

I won't be able to lay hands on it for at least a few weeks, but I wanted to share it in case anyone had any experience or tips before I get started.

View attachment 27738View attachment 27739'

Grates look pretty rough, but I think they might be salvageable and serviceable. They are stainless.
View attachment 27740

briquette tray is toast. I'll prob just convert to ceramic plates.
View attachment 27749

Burner is functional, but toast. This is gonna be the most expensive part of this restore, almost $100! I may look for a donor grill that is in better shape and gut it instead.
View attachment 27750
For some reason I can't see the first 3 pictures that are linked to. I get an oops message.

View attachment 27738View attachment 27739'

View attachment 27740

Back