Brisket: Inject or Not?

Bill Moriarty

I'd like to hear experiences from those who have injected a brisket(s), pros/cons, and recommendations on store bought or home made injection recipes.
Thanks!

Same experience as Timothy with injections. Tried it back in my competition days. I was not impressed with the results.

Back when I first started you could get select or choice BA @ Wally world for like $2.25 lb.
The select I injected but choice and prime I don't.

no need to IMO. there's enough fat there to render and a salt dry brine overnight is more than enough to enhance the beef flavor as the kosher salt will penetrate the brisket well on the dry brine (exposed in the fridge).

if you want an enhanced brisket, do it in an oven and braise it for 4-5 hours. those are good but not nearly as good as a smoked brisket.

I do both. Most of the time at home- no injection. Comps- always. My wife swears she can taste the phosphates so I don't do it here. My biggest piece of advice for injection is to taste the injection before you use it. There are some out there that taste awful, and others that are nice. If it doesn't taste good mixed up, how could it be any better in the meat. I won't list the bad ones, but will say I am a fan of kosmos. I tend to mix them on the weaker side so flavor is not too intense.

I do both and I am the only one in the house hold that prefers the injected brisket. When I inject however I just stick to beef broth. 2 cans that has been boiled down to 1can. I thinks I like that extra salt! Near as I can tell it hasn’t made any of my briskets extra juicy…

I have never done it but I have had brisket that has. I personally do not like the flavor that it imparts to one of the best cut of beef. To me it took the true brisket flavor away and made it taste like a pot roast. My .02 😀

Just curious Darin... What flavor does "it" have ?
Personally, I use a couple of commercial beef flavor enhancing injections... One from Butchers BBQ and one from Big Poppa Smokers BBQ

Just curious Darin... What flavor does "it" have ?
Personally, I use a couple of commercial beef flavor enhancing injections... One from Butchers BBQ and one from Big Poppa Smokers BBQ
Hey Bob,
I would describe it as beefy bouillon 😀.To me it muted the brisket flavor. My family also thought the same thing too. I do use injections on cooks but only pork and poultry and agree they can really enhance the moisture and flavor. The only brisket I have had is Texas (Blacks) and my own other than the one I am speaking that was injected, just wasn’t my cup of tea. This hobby can be very subjective to our own tastes, that’s what makes it fun. I hope this helps.

I did a brisket on the 4th.
About half of the way through I noticed that the flat seemed much dryer and tougher than the point.
I had fat trimmings rendering in a pot on the stove so on the fly I used some of that injected into the flat.
This was the first time I ever injected a brisket.
Not real easy to inject a partially cooked piece of meat though but it worked well enough to save the day.
I can thank your post for giving me this idea.
Without it I don’t think I would have ever considered it.
I probably would have wasted my time doing multiple spritz’s to no avail and ended up with a dry flat section so thanks again for that idea.

I don't inject prime but on the other grades I inject the flat with Beef Broth. I inject the day before the cook and not heavily.. I didn't notice a difference in taste and no complaints from the family. To paraphrase Darin - different strokes for different folks.

Back