Big Bones

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
I've had a hankering for some beef ribs for a while, and today was the day. I'll let the photos do the talking, but here are the details: WSM22, 260(ish), hickory/cherry/apple, DP Raising the Steaks rub, racks were a bit under 3 lbs each, finished in 5.5 hours, no foil/paper, roasted kale & mushrooms on the side.

IMG_6823.jpeg

IMG_6827.jpeg

IMG_6828.jpeg

Butter tender. Beefy. A touch over seasoned......but Oh So Good! :)

Almost Friday!

R

Great looking ribs Rich, I would love to find some like that, but here beef ribs with meat on them are the unicorn of ribs here. Just impossible to find.

Yes Sir those are fine looking bones! Love beef ribs. Like Rich D hard to get here too. Used to have an in with the butcher at one of our Safeway grocery stores. He was a real butcher and knew what I wanted. All I had to do was tell him when I wanted them and he'd have untrimmed plate ribs for me. They were 12" long and 3-4 bones per rack. He retired and away went my connection...

lookin good Rich! I agree no wrapping is the way to go as you get an intense bark, especially on the outside ribs.

I cooked up 4 racks last Saturday as my sister treated me to Creekstone Farms ribs. They were on sale for $79 :)

AcNQfm7.jpg

lookin good Rich! I agree no wrapping is the way to go as you get an intense bark, especially on the outside ribs.

I cooked up 4 racks last Saturday as my sister treated me to Creekstone Farms ribs. They were on sale for $79 :)

AcNQfm7.jpg
Rich and Brian,
Both those cooks look great, I finally added myself to the email list for Creekstone Farms. For a special occasion when the right sale comes up I am going to go for it.

Yes Sir those are fine looking bones! Love beef ribs. Like Rich D hard to get here too. Used to have an in with the butcher at one of our Safeway grocery stores. He was a real butcher and knew what I wanted. All I had to do was tell him when I wanted them and he'd have untrimmed plate ribs for me. They were 12" long and 3-4 bones per rack. He retired and away went my connection...
That's interesting, Barb works at Safeway and does have an in with one of the butchers in the meat department he's done a few things for us.
I'll have Barb ask him about getting some decent untrimmed plate ribs for us.

That's interesting, Barb works at Safeway and does have an in with one of the butchers in the meat department he's done a few things for us.
I'll have Barb ask him about getting some decent untrimmed plate ribs for us.
Rich, if they sell short ribs trimmed individually at Safeway, then there's a decent chance they are delivered in whole slabs (though I know there's a lot less "butchering" going on at Safeway these days.) If they don't, I'm sure they could get you whole racks of plate or chuck short ribs as a special order. The ones I cooked on Thursday were chuck, I prefer the plate.....tend to have a bit thicker layer of meat, and a touch bigger altogether.

Good luck!

R

These beef rib cooks are killing me! Yours look terrific Rich. Love the shrooms and kale too. Excellent looking dinner.
FWIW, roasted kale is awesome! Cut into bit sized pieces, toss with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, then roast in a single layer on a sheet pan at 425. Should be getting crispy at about 15 minutes, stir a bit to get both sides, and give it another 5. Yummy!

R

Back