Best Method to Char Steaks

Brian Lieder

TVWBB Member
I've sometimes acheived a better char on steaks than others, and never really had a solid method that works. But i LOVE a good black char on my steaks. So how do you do it? I read something about salt and corn starch and FREEZING the steaks for 30 mins, but this goes against everything ive ever known about grilling a steak. I have both a weber gasser and charcoal performer.

Please post up your method to creating a good thick char.

Caveman style, like this 1.3 lb. sirloin.
2 minutes total on the coals, finished on the grate.
Blow off loose ashes before going on the coals.

caveman%252520steak.jpg

caveman%2525202.jpg

Nice touch with the garlic!
Damn, now I want a big three inch thick steak, "Eisenhower" style! Nice glass of scotch while it cooks, nice glass of red with the potato and garlic and a bunch of broccoli, grilled (of course)! Sounds like me to Saturday's dinner to me, I already have things working for tomorrow!

My best way is to stack the coals right up to the grate, maybe even propping the grate up just a touch. After the pile burns down for a few minutes (1" or so below the grate) I cook indirect and sear at the end. I prefer medium rare most of the time but I'll take ribeyes a little higher sometimes. I'd probably start the sear when the meat is right around 100F - still super soft, maybe sear ~45 seconds per side usually with the lid off (~2-3 times per side), flipping as soon as the hot side looks juicy. I also like to use whatever wood chunks I have, usually pecan or apple.

I've done it like this on the bottom of my WSM, the 14" SJG, & the regular kettle.

>>edit: I see you used the word 'char' where I'd use crust, & then I looked at a few of my last steak posts & didn't see much of either of those :)

When I think I have char or crust - that always softens & the color lightens.

Here's a ribeye I dry aged for a few days: http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?56532-Dry-Aged-Ribeye-4-days

I've only cooked one caveman style & that was on a quick overnight hike. I didn't care too much for that - kept picking pieces of charred wood out of them, but we used scavenged wood,,,threw them on the campfire.

Last edited:
If you like/want 100% charred surface cavemen style should be your way.
If you like a "X" charred pattern then Grillgrates should be your choise.
Personally I love both.

Like Enrico said.. I like my GrillGrates, you can use them to get great grill marks, or flip them over to get a great sear, both ways with minimal flair ups.

Seems like a fair piece of change for what it is but, I appreciate that fact that is designed for the job. I'm not big on one trick pony tools. Why not simply use the cast iron searing center piece from the Weber multi function grate?

Thanks for all the tips here guys... TonyUK that cover for the chimney looks amazing.

I ended up on the gasser on friday which has cast iron grates. I made what i think is the best steak of my life. 1.3 lb ribeye, 1:2 ratio salt and corn starch, freezer for 30 mins. Got the grill hot as possible, which was 550 via internal therm (hood therm was pegged, very innacurate). flipped her every 2 minutes. The flare-ups were impossible to manage, but actually helped the end result. 11 minutes and called it done.

Next time i will do a 1:1 ratio corn starch to salt, 2:1 is WAY too salty. And definitely looking forward to either a high stack of coals or a cover on the chimney. Good times guys, good times.

Seems like a fair piece of change for what it is but, I appreciate that fact that is designed for the job. I'm not big on one trick pony tools. Why not simply use the cast iron searing center piece from the Weber multi function grate?

I hear you Tim. But what if you don't have the Weber Gourmet system? I don't think the chimney grate is a OTP. It turns out great steaks with just a few briqs/lump on fire. :)

Edit: I have previously used an oversized grill on top of the chimney. It was just asking to get toppled over. Didn't fancy having to pick up a hot grill or food from off the floor. Never again. :(

Last edited:
I only recently started to use the reverse sear process. I'll never go back to the sear-first method. Here's a good outline of the process:

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/steakhouse_steaks.html

On a Performer Platinum, I light two half-baskets of charcoal, throw a couple of small pecan chunks on and move the baskets over to one side of the grill after they get going. put the steaks as far away from the fire as possible and almost close the bottom vent and close the lid vents to about half. Shoot for around 250 on the lid temperature. It will take about 20 minutes, flipping once, to get the steaks up to 100 internal. Take them off and rest them for about 10 minutes while you add 12-15 more briquettes to the fire and maybe another couple of wood chunks. When the fire is hot, put the steaks on right over the fire and let it flare up, turning and flipping the steaks for a total of 2-4 minutes until you like the color of the crust.

The advice to cook prime ribeyes is solid. Make sure they are at least 1-1/4" thick. You will not be disappointed.

Jeff

Back