Best Method to Char Steaks

I did some NY strips that were dry brined in the morning then on my WSM broken down to be a grill with grate supported by the charcoal ring so the coals were close to the grate and f'in hot.

I did the standard sear first then indirect to a delicious medium rare.

The best sears I've gotten are with intense high heat and steak that isn't wet.

5-8-16-NY-steaks-after.jpg

If you truly like a little more char, you can put a coating of white sugar on your steak. The sugar carbonizes, so it doesn't leave any sweetness and gives a great charred surface. I first saw this years ago at a steakhouse in Texas. They did it so they could char the outside without overcooking the steak.

try putting the grates directly on the coals rather than the steak on the coals. a little space helps and keeps the grit off IMO. personally I've never had a problem getting a good sear with charcoal as long as I pile the coals high. if I have a full kettle i'll put all the coals on one half of the grill and have a cool zone on the other half.

Wet meat will not sear properly!- Julia Child
I'm about ready for a nice slab of cow, next week I will be away on vacation and I have one night by myself so, I will pick up a nice two inch thick ribeye, a potato for roasting and, some asparagus for grilling alongside the beef! Bottle of red and a happy I will be!
The grill at my sister in laws cottage is not equipped with a vortex so, I will have to force myself to do it the old fashioned way, straight high charcoal on one side of the kettle! Back to basics.

Last edited:
If you truly like a little more char, you can put a coating of white sugar on your steak. The sugar carbonizes, so it doesn't leave any sweetness and gives a great charred surface. I first saw this years ago at a steakhouse in Texas. They did it so they could char the outside without overcooking the steak.
It doesn't really "carbonize" it really simply burns. It takes "caramelized" to the logical end. Neither do meat proteins caramelize, they take the "Maillard effect" to burn the proteins to carbon. Sugars caramelize then, burn to carbon.
After reading what I just wrote, in essence you are also correct and will try it!

On a recent episode of Americas Test Kitchen - they addressed this issue (with a little courtesy to Alton Brown):

-Started with pretty thick Strips cut in half length-wise
-Salted, scored about 1/8" deep with cross-hatch on top & bottom
-Skewered two pieces on a pair of skewers about 1.5 inches / 4cm apart
-Put in oven at low heat (about 200-F) for about 90 minutes to cook-through
-Blot dry
-Put over fully-engaged Chimney Starter about 2/3 full of charcoal (red-effin-hot!) for about 1 minute per side to give the char
-Add fresh ground pepper at the end & tent with foil for a few minutes

I know that the oven part may be considered to be "cheating" around here - but it looked awfully danged tasty!

The Alton Brown theory is sound. You can do the same thing on your kettle, with the added bonus of being able to put a little smoke taste into your steak during the slow-cook phase. You can close down the top and bottom vents to get a cool-side temp of around 200-ish and it doesn't take anywhere near 90 minutes to get the internal up to about 100. Take the steaks off, pat them dry and coat them with oil. Rest them while building up the hot side to effin hot and then sear. Steaks should be about 1-1/2" or more for this to work to best effect.

I often use the reverse sear method. Cook the steaks indirect using a low heat-pull to rest when internal reaches 100 degrees. While resting add additional charcoal and place a cast iron pan over the fire. When it gets good and hot add streak to pan and turn every minute or so till desired crust. Usually just 2-3 minutes.

Back