Benefits of the WSM?

Jeff_M_S

Hello everyone, I am very curious about the WSM and have some questions?

1. What makes the WSM better than say a regular kettle set up with a slow n sear or other kettle setup?

2. How does the WSM compare to a Big Green Egg (I own one)? Would it be redundant next to the Egg, or does it offer something special that the egg (or even one of my growing number of kettles) could not accomplish?

3. What’s the deal with sizing? What is the best all around for a small family?

Thank you in advance for your responses.

1). Not necessarily better. But it is easier to control the temperature and will hold more fuel for longer cooks.

2). No comparison, the egg is far better insulated and yes, it would be redundant.

3). Sizing covers most everyone's needs. 14 for small family of 2 or 3; 18 for family of 4 or more and the 22 to feed a crowd.

Those are very good questions and are not easily answered.

I have been wanting the Kamato Joe Classic III but can't justify it because the Performer kettle and WSM 18 does everything I need. Just my opinions here. If I had a Big Green Egg, there would be no need for a WSM.

Last edited:
The WSM has greater cooking capacity by design--two cooking grates. Anything you can add to a kettle to increase cooking capacity can also be added to a WSM to increase its capacity. So until Weber starts making double-decker kettles, the WSM will have the capacity advantage.

You can hang meat in the WSM. Can't do that in a kettle without adding an extension...which essentially makes it a WSM.

The WSM is a water smoker by design. The water pan creates the indirect cooking environment that many are looking for when making barbecue, and the water offers certain benefits that are described in this article: Using A Water Pan In Weber Smokers

As Colin mentioned, charcoal capacity can be huge in the largest WSM. Lighting methods such as the Minion Method can result in hour after hour of steady temps and easy control without fans, computerized controllers, etc.

This article describes considerations for which WSM to choose. It's mostly about cooking capacity, but there are other considerations which are covered in the article: Which Size Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker Should You Buy?

1. You'll have to fuss a lot more with the kettle, like adding charcoal during the cook, etc.

2. The WSM has better airflow which while making it less efficient will give you (arguably) better smoke flavor. It also has more capacity. It's also a hell of a lot cheaper.

3. I've got the 22 and a small family. I'm not that concerned about efficiency. The 18 is far more efficient and will do what you want but you may have to fuss a little more getting large briskets and rib slabs on it. You'd have the same thing with the standard size egg.

A kettle is a very good charcoal grill that, with some work, can be adapted into a meh smoker.

The WSM is a very good charcoal smoker. It overall will be much better to use (more capacity, stabler temps, better temp control, longer burn time, etc. etc. etc.) as a smoker than a kettle. A WSM, with some work, can be adapted into a meh grill (more so the 22 WSM).

The two together will pretty much do everything that a BGE will do for a lot less money. Especially since Webers are so ubiquitous, they can be obtained from Craigslist/OfferUp/Facebook Marketplace for almost nothing. My close to new 18 WSM cost me $80.

A kettle/WSM combo is not highly insulated and super airtight as a BGE is. So the combo is not as fuel efficient and bad weather impervious as a BGE. A BGE is great as a one-arrow quiver. The WSM is a better smoker than a BGE (airflow) and would have more capacity.

The WSM 18 has more capacity than most people will every need. You should get the 22 instead (bigger, more expensive, uses more fuel) if (i) you want to be able to cater a wedding, (ii) you want to use the WSM a lot as a grill (same form factor as a 22 inch kettle), and/or (iii) you want to be able to cook full rib slabs laid out flat on the two racks. The diameter of the WSM 18 means you need some kind of accomodation to cook a lot of ribs (rolling, rib racks, cutting, hanging).

Last edited:
One way a WSM beats the Big green egg is the WSM is WAY more portable.
The 14 and 18 are anyway. And if you knock them over they aren't going to break.
As Chres said. The Egg has no water pan. And while I don't put water in my pan I do put a clay saucer on top of it.
That way there is indirect heat.

The bge is small inside, limited charcoal capacity I think.

The wsm holds temps well, lasts, holds enough charcoal for long cooks

A kettle is for grilling, smoking on it will just aggravate you

The 18 is great for everything but laying ribs flat. The 22 is better for that, and huge briskets , but uses more fuel.

Unfortunately, it needs a few tweaks to be at it's best. But with an automatic temperature controller and blower/damper.....it's as ez as an oven. Tastes better than most pellet grill too. Can use anywhere.

Are we just going to ignore how much fun it is using a WSM? :)

I don’t own a BGE, and probably never will. I can sing the praises of the versatility of the WSM all day.
  • You can mod your WSM to your liking. Add handles, a different thermometer, a lid hinge, a different door or charcoal grate, casters, etc. Make it your own unique smoker.
  • Lots of after market accessories
  • It doesn’t weigh nearly as much as a BGE
  • It doesn’t cost nearly as much as a BGE
  • As mentioned by others, it‘s portable
  • Way easier to add charcoal to if you need to during a cook
  • You have a dedicated water pan which you can choose to use or not use, before or during the cook
  • You can hang ribs or chicken in your WSM
  • You want to grill? No problem. Move your charocal ring up to the 2nd grate. BAM!
  • Need a smaller grill for camping, the lake or the beach? No problem. Put the top rack on the bottom base. BAM! You now have a mini kettle. (Just keep in mind the lid will rest on top, but not close.)
  • Need to take it apart and clean it? Easy.
  • Larger cooking area than a BGE (depending on the model.)
  • It just looks awesome
Did I mention how much fun it is to use the WSM? It’s almost feels ritualistic. A little attention is required and occasionally adjust the dampers to get your temps (If you aren’t using blower attachement.)

Now, if only there were some kind of website with about 20 years worth of information, support and experience with using the weber bullet shaped smoker...something virtual would do the trick. ;)

Last edited:
Are we just going to ignore how much fun it is using a WSM? :)

I don’t own a BGE, and probably never will. I can sing the praises of the versatility of the WSM all day.
  • You can mod your WSM to your liking. Add handles, a different thermometer, a lid hinge, a different door or charcoal grate, casters, etc. Make it your own unique smoker.
  • Lots of after market accessories
  • It doesn’t weigh nearly as much as a BGE
  • It doesn’t cost nearly as much as a BGE
  • As mentioned by others, it‘s portable
  • Way easier to add charcoal to if you need to during a cook
  • You have a dedicated water pan which you can choose to use or not use, before or during the cook
  • You can hang ribs or chicken in your WSM
  • You want to grill? No problem. Move your charocal ring up to the 2nd grate. BAM!
  • Need a smaller grill for camping, the lake or the beach? No problem. Put the top rack on the bottom base. BAM! You now have a mini kettle. (Just keep in mind the lid will rest on top, but not close.)
  • Need to take it apart and clean it? Easy.
  • Larger cooking area than a BGE (depending on the model.)
  • It just looks awesome
Did I mention how much fun it is to use the WSM? It’s almost feels ritualistic. A little attention is required and occasionally adjust the dampers to get your temps (If you aren’t using blower attachement.)

Now, if only there were some kind of website with about 20 years worth of information, support and experience with using the weber bullet shaped smoker...something virtual would do the trick. ;)
Amen Brother

The WSM has greater cooking capacity by design--two cooking grates. Anything you can add to a kettle to increase cooking capacity can also be added to a WSM to increase its capacity. So until Weber starts making double-decker kettles, the WSM will have the capacity advantage.

You can hang meat in the WSM. Can't do that in a kettle without adding an extension...which essentially makes it a WSM.

The WSM is a water smoker by design. The water pan creates the indirect cooking environment that many are looking for when making barbecue, and the water offers certain benefits that are described in this article: Using A Water Pan In Weber Smokers

As Colin mentioned, charcoal capacity can be huge in the largest WSM. Lighting methods such as the Minion Method can result in hour after hour of steady temps and easy control without fans, computerized controllers, etc.

This article describes considerations for which WSM to choose. It's mostly about cooking capacity, but there are other considerations which are covered in the article: Which Size Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker Should You Buy?
Chris - Great videos and info.

I think it's fun to use all of them...........

Even pellet poopers

But with my temp controller.......the wsm is ez.
Getting it ready, charcoal plus wood, dumping old ash, clean grate, foil pan, lighting chimney of coals, is all a little pain if in hurry.

There was a few times ribs for dinner were ready at 930 pm due to my
poor estimation of time required

I smoked on the weber 22 kettle for several years before buying a wsm, the wsm is definitely more set it and forget it.... also it fits better in the back of a suv to take to other places due to removable sections

1. What makes the WSM better than say a regular kettle set up with a slow n sear or other kettle setup?

2. How does the WSM compare to a Big Green Egg (I own one)? Would it be redundant next to the Egg, or does it offer something special that the egg (or even one of my growing number of kettles) could not accomplish?

3. What’s the deal with sizing? What is the best all around for a small family?

For years I had a medium egg until it recently cracked without a warranty so I retired it to planter duty. Along side it I used my 18" WSM smoking on both at various times. I didn't see much difference in smoke quality between the two, both did just fine. My WSM did a better job of temperature control and worked much better with my Billows. Not sure how much of this was due to the crack I eventually found on the egg but still something I noticed. I often used the egg next to the WSM at times like the holidays where I would do the turkey on the egg and the ham on the WSM. Either would do both cooks just fine so having both isn't a bad thing imo.

The number one difference between the two is non slow-n-low cooks. High heat stuff like pizza and wok cooking for example. The egg does some of the best pizza I've ever had and cooks a wok with ease. I think you can do both on the WSM or kettle but I think need add-ons to do pizza right. I ended up getting a pizza oven separate so I haven't tried the WSM or kettle for pizza. I did buy a 22" kettle that does a great job cooking on the wok though, I would say better actually because the heat goes up the wok sides better. I don't see why the WSM couldn't do it just as good.

As for size, the 18" WSM does great for my four person family. I sometimes have to jam a giant brisket in a little bit or bend it over a foil ball but it still cooks perfect.

If I had to start all over again I would buy an 18" WSM and a 22" Kettle from the start. I don't believe there is much in this world the two can't cook well for a reasonable starting cost.

Other points I like about the WSM/Kettle combo over the egg.
  • Doesn't take all night to cool off.
  • More cooking surface because of the double grates.
  • Much more portable. Mine goes camping, fishing, everywhere.
  • Huge difference in price but accomplishes the same thing
  • Weber customer service is amazing where BGE is mainly driven through local dealer which are hit or miss.
  • WSM doesn't need extra bits to smoke good where the egg needs the internals purchased separately or part of a bundle which goes back to point four.
  • Cooking close to the fire is much easier on the Kettle. The egg had the grate down inside so flipping was more difficult for me where the Kettle is level with the top.
  • The Weber community is by far better than the BGE community. I can't stand the BGE forum. Nothing but politics, hate and more concern about a brand than the cooking.

Last edited:
The proper tools make every project more fun, I just bought a sander for some projects that need attention, much easier than just a block and sandpaper. That would have taken me the best part of a day, the Makita will get it done in under an hour for probably three grits of sandpaper.
One needs the right tool for the job at hand, never underestimate the value of the right tools!

I have the 22" WSM and cannot say enough how great and easy it is to produce excellent results. On Thursdays I start Jonesing on what to smoke over the weekend lol I don't smoke every w/e, but I always want to lol

I will throw this little tidbit in , I purchased an insulated reverse flow cabinet smoker...just a bit bigger than the 18 wsm , I purchased it because it has a separate fire chamber , it easily holds a large packer and the cooking grates slide in and out ...kinda looks like a mini fridge. Built like a tank, and holds temp for hours even after the fuel is depleted ... the wsm is more forgiving, if you overshoot the temp with the insulated unit it takes an hour plus to bring it down....my wsm runs pretty much hands off 250-280ish with a foil covered dry water pan , NO atc.... If I keep the insulated unit more than likely I will cave and get a digiq , its not impossible to run it with the air dampers but you gotta catch the upswing temp much sooner...it cost ALOT more than the wsm, the wsm value is astounding

For me it came down to a few things.

- affordable entry into the smoker world.
- space, it doesn’t take up as much space on the patio as a pellet grill.
- capacity. My 18” does great for the wife and I, but let’s me do enough pulled pork or brisket for large family gatherings.
- it allowed me to learn about temperature management, wood choice, smoker management easier than a stick burner but not as easy as a pellet grill. Great way to learn.

To me, it came down to these factors.

* WSM had more capacity for food.
* I could get that higher capacity, and get a temperature controller, for the price of a big green egg.
* It seemed like a cart or stand was highly recommended for a big green egg, and it wouldn't be as good without one. Whereas the way the WSM was configured, it didn't need one.

After using it, I will concur that I've been able to both use it as a smoker, and regular charcoal grill. I use it as a charcoal grill by using the lower wrack. I don't move the charcoal grate up.

I have an 18" and I like the capacity, as I've been able to do a whole turkey too.

If you don't smoke or want to smoke, and are happy with the big green egg, you should probably stick with that.

If you want to smoke more, then I think get a WSM.

Back