Benefits of the WSM?

I bought an 18" WSM and have learned a bunch with it. Then I missed having a Weber kettle so bought a 22" Performer. Love them both but with 3 adult kids. 2 married, 5 grandchildren, I quickly bought a 26" kettle. Similarly, I wish I hadn't listened to the fuel savings advice and had bought the 22" WSM. Fuel savings are hardly a consideration with the price of meat, and the ease of putting a larger packer brisket or even two for entertaining, would be nice. And when I occasionally need to add charcoal for a winter cook, the huge door on the 22" WSM would be much appreciated.

I'm in the Chicago area and wrap a cheap fiberglass welding blanket around the WSM for cold weather or even cool and windy weather. It loses lots of heat with a cold wind. I always use lump charcoal in the WSM for the greater heat, long burning, and far less ash. In the kettle I use Royal Oak briquettes for convenience. The highly advertised brand (which I used for decades in grills years ago) just doesn't work for me - too much ash and doesn't last as long.

Finally, I use a Heater Meter and blower. To do it over today, I'd look at the Thermoworks Smoke 4X and Billows, since I'm not an electronics hobbyist, but the Heater Meter gets the job done. I haven't been very lucky with manual heat control and really feel I need the blower to get enough heat unless it's fairly warm out.

I had a 18 and loved it can do a 20 lb turkey, a ton of sausage, ribs,etc. Easy to use,inexpensive to operate. And Low cost I think a WSM , Kettle or Performer, and a gasser makes up a perfect patio or outdoor kitchen. And still less than a BGE. I love Weber versatility, customer service, and this fourm for information and ideas.
And Chris for putting this all together, Thank You Chris....

And Low cost I think a WSM , Kettle or Performer, and a gasser makes up a perfect patio or outdoor kitchen. And still less than a BGE.
Agree.

Similarly, I have one gas grill, one WSM, one temperature controller (Flame Boss), and one Kettle Pizza add-on to the WSM.

Between these, there is a lot of versatility in what I want to do.

And then, if I have questions, there's this site where I can get good answers, sometimes within minutes too.

I had a 18 and loved it can do a 20 lb turkey, a ton of sausage, ribs,etc. Easy to use,inexpensive to operate. And Low cost I think a WSM , Kettle or Performer, and a gasser makes up a perfect patio or outdoor kitchen. And still less than a BGE. I love Weber versatility, customer service, and this fourm for information and ideas.
And Chris for putting this all together, Thank You Chris....
Totally agree as my present BBQ Arsenal only lacks my first "Gasser" which I plan on buying a WeberQ 3200 within the next few months.

I own a Kamado Joe Classic and a Joe Jr. and was intrigued with hanging ribs for a smoke. I was initially looking at a Pit Barrel Smoker but decided on a WSM because it's more versatile and has less footprint. I scoured Craigslist for a used one.

My main purpose is to hang my ribs and poultry. I now have the versatility of smoking more meat for a party or gathering and I like having options. I also own a Weber Genesis for searing for my meats.

You can never have enough 😂

I own a Kamado Joe Classic and a Joe Jr. and was intrigued with hanging ribs for a smoke. I was initially looking at a Pit Barrel Smoker but decided on a WSM because it's more versatile and has less footprint. I scoured Craigslist for a used one.

My main purpose is to hang my ribs and poultry. I now have the versatility of smoking more meat for a party or gathering and I like having options. I also own a Weber Genesis for searing for my meats.

You can never have enough 😂
Do you have any pictures of how you hang the ribs? Any recipes?

Hello everyone, I am very curious about the WSM and have some questions?

1. What makes the WSM better than say a regular kettle set up with a slow n sear or other kettle setup?

2. How does the WSM compare to a Big Green Egg (I own one)? Would it be redundant next to the Egg, or does it offer something special that the egg (or even one of my growing number of kettles) could not accomplish?

3. What’s the deal with sizing? What is the best all around for a small family?

Thank you in advance for your responses.
Hi Jeff,
Let me give you a noob's perspective. I haven't had a charcoal grill in eons. I was strictly a gasser. Then last fall I got a great deal on a performer and was just going to flip it. Before flipping I decided to give it a go, and did an 8 hour smoked coffee / cocoa rub brisket. It was hands down the best piece of meat I have ever eaten, so I did a second one. I kept the grill. What did I need a smoker for? The performer was great. Yah it took a lot of fiddling to keep the temps around 225 but I am not that anal, and does the meat really care if it hits 275 some times? Worst case it gets done a little quicker;-)
Well last week I picked up a WSM 18 to flip and decided to do a corned beef before cleaning it up and selling it. Well this thing rocked 225-235 for hours without me touching it. After 4 hours I had to stir the coals...oh did I mention that it rained most of the time as well? So now I am keeping it too. Way easier than smoking on a kettle.

Yah it took a lot of fiddling to keep the temps around 225 but I am not that anal, and does the meat really care if it hits 275 some times?
I think that sums it up. Barbecuing on a kettle is not hard work by any means but you do need to be present. Setting up a WSM - I can reliably fill the water pan at intervals or get my temps stabilized with a dry pan and walk away for hours.

I freely admit that there have been a couple of times I forgot I had something smoking on the WSM, only to go out to the patio and find it rock steady on temp, with my pork butt almost ready to pull off and rest. I couldn't do that with my Performer (although I did try).

The WSM is the best value out there for a smoker.

Back