Beer.

Oatmeal added to a mash will lend more body, and a thicker mouthfeel which classically is not a characteristic of porter. More body and the lines between porter and stout are muddled. Also, as I recall the biggest difference between porter and stout were the addition of black roast or patent malt. More acrid, slightly bitter malt additions(very small quantities overall) compared to the roasty/toasty malts of porter. Along with more base malt in the stout to bring the body/sweetness up to help balance it all out. Hopefully I'm not geeking too much. Been a homebrewer for 12 years.
No, this is the kind of answer I was looking for.

I read something like this before, but you explained it better.

Can you tell the difference on a blind taste test, if something is supposed to be a porter, or stout? I can't.

What did you mean by roasty/toasty malts for a porter, but more base malt for a stout? What's a base malt?

What did you mean by roasty/toasty malts for a porter, but more base malt for a stout? What's a base malt?
To really answer that, you probably should know more about the process to turn grain into malt.

1) Begin the sprouting process by adding a little water to the grain.
2) Spread the grain out on the malting floor.
3) When the sprout just barely starts to break through the husk, transfer to a kiln.
4) Roast the malt to the desired flavor & color.
5) Cool and either store, or brew.

Maltsters have a lot of control at each step in the process, but it is a variable agricultural input. The choice of grain, barley, wheat, rye, etc., how much moisture to add for germination, temperature & humidity in the malting floor, and the roasting process itself.

One of the big measures of a malt is the color, expressed in degrees Lovibond. This can range from practically no color change at all from the input grain (0 degrees Lovibond, IIRC,) to a crystal malt which is just on the bitter edge of being scorched (100 degrees L.) Base malts are very lightly roasted. When you get up into the 50 to 80 degree L range is when you start developing the very roasted & toasted flavor characteristics (possibly a Maillard reaction?) The color of the malt is extracted during the mash process along with the sugars from the malt, and that will make your finished product a light beer, a dark beer, or something in between.

One other thing to remember. Step 2 is where the starches in the kernels begin the conversion process to sugars by enzymatic processes. The mash process during the brew is very dependent on water temperature and pH (pure distilled water makes a horrible beer.) There's only about a 10 degree window for conversion, and brewers try hard to get to within a degree of their target temp, as there's a significant difference in what's extracted across the range of temperatures.

That site has a good display of the range of the range of malts, and that's all for home brewers. I'm spoiled, Northern Brewer is based close to where I live, unfortunately, it's now owned by Anheuser-Bush Inbev (and that's caused a lot of homebrewers to stop buying there.) Coincidentally, if you look at their packaged kits, they have good descriptions of the final beer and what goes into each.

No, this is the kind of answer I was looking for.

I read something like this before, but you explained it better.

Can you tell the difference on a blind taste test, if something is supposed to be a porter, or stout? I can't.

So when sticking to classic examples of the style, yes I can tell. But I also was really geeking out on beer for a while and was a certified beer judge(yes it's a real thing!).

Base malt refers to the type of malt that makes up most of the fermentable sugar in a beer. In a porter, could be 2-row, Maris otter(yum), golden promise, etc. Then specialty malts are added to gain different flavors, colors and body. These specialty malts have been kilned to a higher temp depending on what they are. Lightly kilned like crystal 15, or burnt to heck like a black patent malt. That is were the flavor profile comes in and what I meant by roasty/toasty/acrid. Think of the deference between lightly toasted bread or a saltine cracker and burnt toast. That black patent or roast barley flavor is a stout thing.

As malts are kilned to a higher temp, the amount of potential sugar contribution goes down in the mash. Mash refers to the process of using the amalayse to convert to fermentable sugar-maltose. Hopefully that helps some. Sorry if I'm long winded.

Looks like JKalchik beat me to most of it. I'm a little slower on the keyboard! Lots of good info on malt there.

I’m really on a Great Notion kick. It’s a brewery in Portland, Oregon that makes some fantastic beers. They ship to a few states on the west coast, so definitely worth a look.

I’m fortunate to live 17 miles from Charlton, MA, the home of Tree House brewing. I usually have a pretty good selection of TH IIPAs on hand at all times. I also make my own beer but leave the IPAs and IIPAs to TH. Right now I’ve a Kolsch on tap and a crisp Czech lager up next to complement Green, Julius, Juice Machine, Juice Project, and Haze.

I'm currently, right now as I type these words, enjoying a New Belgium Trippel 🍺

Before I go out on the patio and put some smoke on a few Southside beef sausages.

Good suggestion. I haven't had that by them before. It's probably been a few years since I've had a Belgian style beer like that.

I will add this to my list, and probably get it delivered, the next time I make a beer purchase.

Ordered it, will be delivered.

Hope everyone is enjoying the 4th!

My son came over with a selection of beers to share.

Today's flight
mixed-flight-ipa.jpg

Beer, Brisket, and Blues - pretty darn good day going on here!

Last edited:
My beer drinking is behind me, until Mrs Dollar reaches her goal on the keto diet.

But I have found a low carb IPA that I like. Its made by Lagunitas, brewery just north of San Fran. Called Daytime. Of course its low ABV, but its better than a seltzer or a Miller Lite.

Back