BBQ sauce: Does applying it warm during cooking make a difference?

David P Harrisburg

TVWBB Member
Seen a video of a guy that had is bbq sauce in small cast iron pot on the grill. Does anyone heat their sauce while applying? Maybe I have been doing it wrong all these years. Will be interesting to see the response.

I have something like that in the back of a cabinet somewhere. Just a dumb , albeit pricey , thing my wife gave at Christmas. Came with brush.

I squirt in a coffee cup and heat up in the microwave.... Then apply with a small silicone brush. Nothing else is needed. Especially not brushes that shed bristles.... Like I grew up eating on bbq chicken.. not sure why people market barbecue tools as being huge size.... When they don't need to be... Unless you're cooking chicken for 100 Manly appeal i suppose .

Last edited:
Seen a video of a guy that had is bbq sauce in small cast iron pot on the grill. Does anyone heat their sauce while applying? Maybe I have been doing it wrong all these years. Will be interesting to see the response.
When I make BBQ sauce. I heat it up to mix ingredients. I apply it,warm or cold depends on when I make it. I don't notice any difference.

When I first started doing this I heated sauce in a pot a couple times. And possibly a time or two when I used a sauce as a marinade I later brought it to a boil if I also used it as a finishing sauce.

Today my sauce gets heated by applying it to my food near the end of the cook time.

Last edited:
Marinades can be made into a sauce by cooking down until thickened also a heated sauce can be served as an additional finish for people that want more.

The only time I heat sauce is if it's being served on the side. Otherwise, it really doesn't make a noticeable difference. I've read articles saying if you apply it cold it slows the cooking process. In most cases, you apply it when the meat is nearly done, so what real difference would it make?

When I make my sauce I cook it. Not only do I feel the flavors meld together better, but it allows me to cook it down to get the correct consistency. Though, I do not feel the need to coat the meat with the sauce while it is warm.

I've read articles saying if you apply it cold it slows the cooking process. In most cases, you apply it when the meat is nearly done, so what real difference would it make?
I completely agree with this statement.

During the cooking process, we spritz with liquids that are room temperature and no one worries about it, then at the end maybe we brush on a little bit of sauce. The surface of the meat is so hot, I don't see how this can make any difference.

I completely agree with this statement.

During the cooking process, we spritz with liquids that are room temperature and no one worries about it, then at the end maybe we brush on a little bit of sauce. The surface of the meat is so hot, I don't see how this can make any difference.
Agree with Chris. The only time I heat BBQ sauce is to serve on the table for those who want it.
‘Room temperature sauce, in my opinion, is easier to put on a protein.

Room temp or warm simply because I brought the stuff out from the stove and put it on the edge of the grill but, almost never “cold”.
nothing terribly scientific about it for me just habits. Anymore I don’t tend to do much thick sweet stuff I’ve been using thinner “reduced” marinades and so on.

I was reminded by a chef that homemade sauces need to be cooked if there are raw ingredients or any alcohol products to cook the raw or cook out the alcohol. Bottled products are already cooked. 👍

I honestly don't ever sauce anything. I did the first few times I smoked ribs then from there out I've just offered sauce on the side. To me glaze or finishing sauce takes away from the hard work of getting a nice bark and taste from the dry rub, but that's just my opinion. I like the smoke profile to be the king of the show.

I keep mine in the refrigerator so it's a little thick. That's why only reason I'll pop it in the microwave before brushing on.

If I sauce ribs I just apply it directly from the fridge and brush it across the top. I never gave it a second thought.

Back