BBQ/Grilling Cookbooks

I used to have two. BBQ bible ( which I gave to my Son ) and Smoke & Spice ( which I gave to a member on the old forum who was stationed over seas in Iraq )
I liked both, but my favorite cookbook is JOY. It simply lays out a recipe by ingredient ( step by step ) and tells you the why's and why not's on cooking certain foods.
A WSM or Weber kettle is just a charcoal fired oven, and most recipes cooked indoors can be done outdoors with a little thought and planning.
And both give you that little sumpin, sumpin you don't get cooking on an indoor appliance.:)

Tim
Tim, that was so thoughtful of you to give away your cookbooks. Sorry to say, I never bought the Joy cookbook. Glad you enjoy it so much.

I have several bbq/grilling cookbooks, Weber, etc. but....
My wife and I, both seniors, were raised on more simply seasoned food, and to be honest there's not many herbs and spices we like, rosemary being at the top of the list, I could go on.
I adapt a few recipes to our liking, that's about it. I've never met a recipe I haven't changed.
For indoor cooking we use a few church cookbooks, with recipes provided by members, as our go-to.

We have a LOT of recipe books for grilling and smoking. The one we have almost worn out is the one I first purchased long ago when I became serious about this whole thing. Weber’s Big Book of Grilling, hands down is the most useful book I own. For a beginner I can’t think of a better book. I give this to friends who are just starting to get into cooking with a grill. Now after years of cooks and many more books, it still is a favorite and a great tool.
Hi Rolf (did I mention I was born in Pa? can't remember lol) Glad to see you like cookbooks. What are some of the other titles? Do you use them a lot? We made the "Tipsy Grilled Chicken with Bourbon Maple Glaze" from the "Big Book..." about 2 years ago. We thought it was very good. Have you tried it yet?

I have mostly America's Test Kitchen/Cook's Country books. ATK Master of the Grill has some great recipes and techniques. I've cooked a bunch out of that one.

Rich, your post reads like it could have been written by DH and myself. (except we only have 1 refrigerator/freezer lol) and only 12 of Jamie's books. As much as we try to always set up a weekly menu, sometimes it just does not happen. Especially on those days when it it 3 or 4 in the afternoon and we look at each other and say "what's for dinner?" Then it is usually, "What shall we have delivered" lol

Joan, that happens here too. Because there is just two of us and our two four footed hair shedders we always have left overs. We even freeze them in the inside freezer so if were to lazy to cook or something comes up we can use a leftover and not even have to walk all the way out to the garage to get it. We also always have a couple of pizzas in the freezer just in case a leftover is to much work to heat.:rolleyes:

Both of Aaron Franklin's books are very good, but they're not actually cookbooks. They are both dense with background information that will be of great help to any serious amateur smoker or griller. Based on info in "Franklin Steak", I just picked up a flat iron steak and it cooked up beautifully with guidance from the book.

The internet (this site included) has given me many, many ideas and recipes. I hate to admit it, but for recipe info, the 'net has it all over books.

Jeff

I have several. I've been introducing my grown Grandsons to Q and gave them "Meathead: The Science of Great Barbecue and Grilling" because of the explanations in the book. I just think it's a good book for beginners. I have used a couple of his rub recipes and the family liked them.

The internet (this site included) has given me many, many ideas and recipes. I hate to admit it, but for recipe info, the 'net has it all over books.

Jeff

Hi Jeff, while it is true, so many things can happen to books, but then, look what can happen to the 'net. What if in those few days this forum was off line, you wanted to cook a recipe you saw here but didn't make any notes or copy it?

Speaking of books, does anyone have Rick Browne's "Best Barbecue on Earth" cookbook? I have the book, but so many good things to make. Any recommendations?

Hi Jeff, while it is true, so many things can happen to books, but then, look what can happen to the 'net. What if in those few days this forum was off line, you wanted to cook a recipe you saw here but didn't make any notes or copy it?

This is true but I still like to use the net over my books. I will sometimes copy/print recipes to OneNote for archival and searchability. I also use a browser plugin called CopyMeThat to stash a recipe away.

I like going by cookbooks when actually cooking but have been finding more and more of the recipes I use online. I do have a couple of the Weber books, The Big Book of Grilling, and Secrets to Smoking, both are okay. If I use a half dozen recipes out of one I'd be surprised, for the most part I get turned off when I see I'm missing ingredients, usually odd ball stuff. Looking online I can always find one that sounds good and I actually have everything I need on hand. I am looking through Master of the Grill that I got inter library loan. So far I like what I see but I'm only on page 50 or 450.

but no one seemed interested in what I was posting because I didn't post pictures. I still want to be a member here and keep posting. I have a lot of Jamies recipes to share. That is the fighting Irish in me. lol

PPS DH just showed me a picture he took. He thinks you might want to see it. He calls it "the graveyard of bad grills" lol Do you have an e-mail address he could send it to?

Feel free to share more recipes. I know I appreciate them although I only make some of them. Regarding posting pictures, is this something that you don’t know how to do? It’s very easy to post pictures. There is a how to in the forums that is a sticky.

You can also send Chris a private message. Just click on his name and you’ll see a link named “send a private message”. Send him a link to the grill graveyard. Or you can just create a new thread for the topic.

Feel free to share more recipes. I know I appreciate them although I only make some of them. Regarding posting pictures, is this something that you don’t know how to do? It’s very easy to post pictures. There is a how to in the forums that is a sticky.

You can also send Chris a private message. Just click on his name and you’ll see a link named “send a private message”. Send him a link to the grill graveyard. Or you can just create a new thread for the topic.

Thanks Bill, I'm glad you like some of the recipes I've posted.

Hey Joan, we have a lot of books as well and admittedly, some of our favorite recipes are from books. But the net has opened more doors, at least for me. Before I got my WSM a couple of decades ago, I was known as "The Torch". The Virtual Bullet became my cooking handbook and helped me understand what live fire was all about. This forum has shown me that there are many ways to approach similar recipes (hence my signature). You can find about a hundred recipes for smoked brisket chili on the 'net, and you can browse through them in a very short time to find one that catches your fancy. A good part of the fun of cooking is seeing the myriad ways that other people approach the same hunk of meat.

On a related tangent, we have been Blue Apron customers for over 2 years. They ship you fresh ingredients and each recipe is on a double-sided sheet with good photos and precise directions. I have learned more about ingredients and their impact on taste than I thought possible. We now add (or subtract) ingredients from the BA recipes to suit our taste. Good fun.

Jeff

Good luck with your new home for your cooking game. Hope it provides you with the satisfaction you were looking for here but could not find.

Well Chris, it was short but not too sweet. I'm back to looking for a new place for my game. They were getting a little too bossy. Any way you can delete my quote with the site link? Looks like you are stuck with me full time here again. lol

Well Chris, it was short but not too sweet. I'm back to looking for a new place for my game. They were getting a little too bossy.

We are glad to have you here but I suggest not giving up on a new site too quickly. It takes some time to get the feel of a forum. I also think it helps to not take things personally as with anything on the net. Most people mean well and are usually not trying to slight someone. But if they were, I just ignore it.

We are glad to have you here but I suggest not giving up on a new site too quickly. It takes some time to get the feel of a forum. I also think it helps to not take things personally as with anything on the net. Most people mean well and are usually not trying to slight someone. But if they were, I just ignore it.
Thanks Bill!!!!!! I was looking for a new home for my game when I found that site, hopefully, I'll find another one. They changed the name of my game without my permission, the game is suppose to last for 1 week (that was good enough for my players for 10 years), they changed that to 2 weeks, and we couldn't post recipes on the game, had to be elsewhere with a link. And they deleted my posts when I said anything about it. Sorry, thanks for letting me vent. Thank goodness for our Chris, and the good ol' USA. Did I mention that the other site was outside of the US?

Well, things are back to normal here. Posting recipes, nobody responding. lol They say the sign of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. lol

Back