BBQ/Grilling Cookbooks

Justin Wilson, you had good taste. I have a few of his books also. And about a dozen or so of his shows on DVD. I really miss him. Almost 19 years since he left us.

Make that 3 of us. lol I have had mine for 14 years and need a really big nudge.

Found a note in mine. Back in 2018 I started making copies of recipes that looked good to us. I stopped at page 44 and never got back to them. That is a lot of pages left to go over.

Wanna have a race? See who is the first one to make something from this book. lol

Ok here's a little nostalgia. I had that book, they were quite popular in the mid -to late 70, 80's.
I enjoyed watching them work together on PBS.

Tim

Gotcha Tim. At first I thought you were talking about Jim Tarantino lol.

They say you learn something new everyday. Look what I just found out about Jim T.

About Jim Tarantino
JIM TARANTINO is a confirmed serial griller and a five-string banjo player living in the Philadelphia area. He learned to cook in his teens by working in his uncle's restaurants. He has appeared several times at Philadelphia's Book and the Cook and has written numerous magazine and newspaper articles on marinades and grilling. He is the author of SORBETS! (Crossing Press, 1988).

OK, I finally figured out what is going on. It's a case of "out of sight, out of mind". I couldn't figure out why I kept forgetting about this thread until I realized. There is so much activity on this site that this thread kept getting "out of sight", and I would forget about it. lol!!!!!!

Soooo, back to Tarantino's book. Maybe I can find something good for dinner in it.

Anybody acquire any new cookbooks lately?

Last edited:
OK, I finally figured out what is going on. It's a case of "out of site, out of mind". I couldn't figure out why I kept forgetting about this thread until I realized. There is so much activity on this site that this thread kept getting "out of site", and I would forget about it. lol!!!!!!

Soooo, back to Tarantino's book. Maybe I can find something good for dinner in it.

Anybody acquire any new cookbooks lately?
Reading this book again. It’s a great read and has some very good recipes, too.
BF0F35DE-BD11-4B4B-86CC-F24843423685.jpeg

Jeff, very interesting. Never heard of this before. I'll have to check it out.

I think DH found something real good sounding for dinner tomorrow night. It calls for marinating the meat for 6 hours. Not enough time to have it tonight. That's good, now we can have leftover wings from the other night that were really good. lol I didn't post the recipe because they were deep-fried not grilled. Hmmm, they were very good, maybe I can find a link to post.

Last edited:
This is kinda related but awhile ago someone and I think it was Joan mentioned about the John Wayne's family's " Way To Grill" book which I found an almost new copy. Barb and I are John Wayne fans.
We also are fond of cooking with cast iron cookware. Did a little digging and found out John Wayne's family also had a book about cooking with cast iron with lots of his favorite dishes. We really have enjoyed trying some of the cast iron recipes in the book.

I found this cook book at a garage sale for .25 Cents and really enjoyed reading some of the recipes. It was published in 1966 and there is a lot of great information that still holds true today.

fae9tUO.jpg

bEcXUJ0.jpg
Nice find, Jeff! I like those old books, too, although I only have a couple.

The Big Boy book is from 1957 and the Better Homes & Gardens is from 1958. Big Boy made a line of grills in the '50s and at least the '60s (I have a new copy of the book from 1966) so the book is as much about promoting the grill as it is about cooking.

BHAG1.jpg

Looks like Mom's a little concerned that the salad's hardly been touched, but what's really bothering her is that Dad only has 1 cup of coffee at home but always has refills at the divorced neighbor lady's house. That's a 1958 Ford, BTW.

BHAG2.jpg

Glazed eyes, kind of a half-smile...looks like her 3rd Tom Collins is starting to kick in!

BHAG3.jpg

Last edited:
Jeff, very interesting. Never heard of this before. I'll have to check it out.

I think DH found something real good sounding for dinner tomorrow night. It calls for marinating the meat for 6 hours. Not enough time to have it tonight. That's good, now we can have leftover wings from the other night that were really good. lol I didn't post the recipe because they were deep-fried not grilled. Hmmm, they were very good, maybe I can find a link to post.

Sounds good. Do you happen to have a good recipe for chili (no beans) for hotdogs and hamburgers?

Sounds good. Do you happen to have a good recipe for chili (no beans) for hotdogs and hamburgers?

Jeff I see you're looking for a good hot dog/hamburger no bean chili.

Been using this one for years really good. You can make it mild or hot depending on what type of chili powder you use.

Hot Dog Chili​

Ingredients

1 pound ground beef
1/3 cup water
1/2 (10 ounce) can tomato sauce
1/2 cup ketchup
2 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon white sugar
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1 dash Worcestershire sauce

Directions

Place ground beef in a large saucepan with water and mash the beef with a potato masher to break apart. Stir in tomato sauce, ketchup, chili powder, salt, black pepper, sugar, onion powder, and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a boil and cook over medium heat until the chili has thickened slightly and the beef is fully cooked, about 20 minutes.

Jeff I see you're looking for a good hot dog/hamburger no bean chili.

Been using this one for years really good. You can make it mild or hot depending on what type of chili powder you use.

Hot Dog Chili​

Ingredients

1 pound ground beef
1/3 cup water
1/2 (10 ounce) can tomato sauce
1/2 cup ketchup
2 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon white sugar
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1 dash Worcestershire sauce

Directions

Place ground beef in a large saucepan with water and mash the beef with a potato masher to break apart. Stir in tomato sauce, ketchup, chili powder, salt, black pepper, sugar, onion powder, and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a boil and cook over medium heat until the chili has thickened slightly and the beef is fully cooked, about 20 minutes.
Thank you, Rich!

DH is making the marinade now, so I guess it is a go for this tonight. OK to post. lol

Grilled Middle Eastern Beef or Lamb Kabobs

"Bamboo skewers need not soak in just plain water. They can be soaked in white or red wine, apple cider or fruit juice for extra penetrating flavor."

2 lbs. beef, from the eye round, or 2 lbs. lean lamb, from the leg, cut into 1" chunks
2 cups Turkish-Style Marinade for Beef or Lamb Kabobs (recipe below)
6 pieces pita bread, warmed

1. Place the meat in a nonreactive container or a 1 gallon resealable plastic bag. Pour the marinade over the meat, toss and refrigerate for 6 hours. Remove the meat from the marinade and thread it onto presoaked bamboo skewers.
2. TO GRILL: Lightly brush the grill with vegetable oil. Grill the meat over medium high heat for 3 to 4 minutes per side.
3. TO COOK INDOORS: Preheat the broiler to its hottest setting and line a baking sheet with foil. Arrange the skewers on the baking sheet and broil for 3 to 4 minutes per side.
4. Slide the meat from the skewers into the warm pita breads and serve. Serves 6

Turkish-Style Marinade for Beef or Lamb Kabobs
"Onions in Turkish cuisine take on a dual role as both an aromatic and a tenderizing element when juiced. The trick is to start with a sweet, not cured onions that have some juice when sliced. Storage or cured (yellow) onions tend to be drier. You should try to liquefy the onion as much as you can. Here's where a juicer can come in very handy."

2 cups chopped sweet onion
4 to 6 cloves garlic
juice of 1 lemon (about 3 TB.)
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 TB. hot paprika
1 TB. freshly cracked black peppercorns
1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped
3/4 cup olive oil

In a blender, food processor, or a juicer, puree the onion and garlic until you have a smooth paste. Place the onion-garlic puree into a fine sieve over a nonreactive mixing bowl and press the solids with the back of a rubber spatula or wooden spoon to extract the juice. Reserve the pulp for later use. You should have about 1 cup of juice. Combine the onion-garlic juice, lemon juice and next 5 ingredients in a blender or a food processor and process until all the ingredients are blended. While the motor is running, drizzle in the olive oil a little at a time. Stored in a clean, airtight container, this will keep in the refrigerator for 1 week. Makes 2 cups

Source: "Marinades, Rubs, Brines, Cures & Glazes" - Jim Tarantino - pub.2006

PS: Don't go by the time this was posted. DH had the meat marinating LONG before I finished typing the recipe. lol!!!!

Last edited:
DH is making the marinade now, so I guess it is a go for this tonight. OK to post. lol

Grilled Middle Eastern Beef or Lamb Kabobs

"Bamboo skewers need not soak in just plain water. They can be soaked in white or red wine, apple cider or fruit juice for extra penetrating flavor."

2 lbs. beef, from the eye round, or 2 lbs. lean lamb, from the leg, cut into 1" chunks
2 cups Turkish-Style Marinade for Beef or Lamb Kabobs (recipe below)
6 pieces pita bread, warmed

1. Place the meat in a nonreactive container or a 1 gallon resealable plastic bag. Pour the marinade over the meat, toss and refrigerate for 6 hours. Remove the meat from the marinade and thread it onto presoaked bamboo skewers.
2. TO GRILL: Lightly brush the grill with vegetable oil. Grill the meat over medium high heat for 3 to 4 minutes per side.
3. TO COOK INDOORS: Preheat the broiler to its hottest setting and line a baking sheet with foil. Arrange the skewers on the baking sheet and broil for 3 to 4 minutes per side.
4. Slide the meat from the skewers into the warm pita breads and serve. Serves 6

Turkish-Style Marinade for Beef or Lamb Kabobs
"Onions in Turkish cuisine take on a dual role as both an aromatic and a tenderizing element when juiced. The trick is to start with a sweet, not cured onions that have some juice when sliced. Storage or cured (yellow) onions tend to be drier. You should try to liquefy the onion as much as you can. Here's where a juicer can come in very handy."

2 cups chopped sweet onion
4 to 6 cloves garlic
juice of 1 lemon (about 3 TB.)
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 TB. hot paprika
1 TB. freshly cracked black peppercorns
1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped
3/4 cup olive oil

In a blender, food processor, or a juicer, puree the onion and garlic until you have a smooth paste. Place the onion-garlic puree into a fine sieve over a nonreactive mixing bowl and press the solids with the back of a rubber spatula or wooden spoon to extract the juice. Reserve the pulp for later use. You should have about 1 cup of juice. Combine the onion-garlic juice, lemon juice and next 5 ingredients in a blender or a food processor and process until all the ingredients are blended. While the motor is running, drizzle in the olive oil a little at a time. Stored in a clean, airtight container, this will keep in the refrigerator for 1 week. Makes 2 cups

Source: "Marinades, Rubs, Brines, Cures & Glazes" - Jim Tarantino - pub.2006

PS: Don't go by the time this was posted. DH had the meat marinating LONG before I finished typing the recipe. lol!!!!

I think next time I will suggest to DH NOT to strain the onion and garlic. Neither one of us could really get too much flavor from the meat even with all of that marinating time. Plus, we used Flap meat which was a little on the tough side. I will still keep this cookbook, but move on to another one for now. lol

Back