BBQ/Grilling Cookbooks

I must be watching too many reruns of "Home Improvement". While going through this book, I keep hearing "Tim, the Toolman" grunting. LOL.

Don't know if "Tim" would grunt at this one, but I sure did. lol Bacon and Guac, what's not to grunt at.

Weber's Extreme Burgers

4 slices thick-cut bacon

MAYO
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1 tsp. minced garlic

Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper

GUACAMOLE
2 ripe Hass avocados
1 TB. fresh lime juice
2 tsp. minced garlic

2 lbs. ground chuck
1 TB. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
1/2 tsp. onion powder
8 thin slices cheddar cheese
4 hamburger buns, split
4 leaves Boston lettuce
1 ripe beefsteak tomato, cut crosswise into 4 slices about 1/3" thick

1. In a skillet over medium heat, fry the bacon until crisp, 10 to 12 minutes, turning occasionally. Drain on paper towels.
2. Whisk the mayo ingredients, including 1/4 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper.
3. Mash the guac. ingr. and 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper
4. Mix the beef with Worcest. sauce, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, paprika, onion powder, form into patties.
5. Grill

Source: Weber's Big Book of Burgers" pub. 2014

Sorry for the shortcuts, DH was waiting to serve breakfast. lol

Last edited:
Don't know if "Tim" would grunt at this one, but I sure did. lol Bacon and Guac, what's not to grunt at.

Weber's Extreme Burgers

4 slices thick-cut bacon

MAYO
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1 tsp. minced garlic

Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper

GUACAMOLE
2 ripe Hass avocados
1 TB. fresh lime juice
2 tsp. minced garlic

2 lbs. ground chuck
1 TB. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
1/2 tsp. onion powder
8 thin slices cheddar cheese
4 hamburger buns, split
4 leaves Boston lettuce
1 ripe beefsteak tomato, cut crosswise into 4 slices about 1/3" thick

1. In a skillet over medium heat, fry the bacon until crisp, 10 to 12 minutes, turning occasionally. Drain on paper towels.
2. Whisk the mayo ingredients, including 1/4 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper.
3. Mash the guac. ingr. and 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper
4. Mix the beef with Worcest. sauce, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, paprika, onion powder, form into patties.
5. Grill

Source: Weber's Big Book of Burgers" pub. 2014

200.gif

OK, now I do. I think he would like the idea of this burger. lol This one makes me think of the old days with drive-ins with lots of hot rod cars.

Bronco Burger with Smoked Mozzarella and Barbecue Sauce

PATTIES:
1 1/2 lbs. ground chuck
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. prepared chili powder
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper.

4 slices smoked mozzarella cheese
4 hamburger buns, split
3/4 cup Cherry Cola Barbecue Sauce (recipe below)
4 thin slices sweet onion
16 dill pickle chips

1. Mix the patty ingredients and make 4 patties.
2. Grill

Cherry Cola Barbecue Sauce

1 TB. unsalted butter
1 cup finely chopped yellow onion
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 cups ketchup
2 1/2 cups cherry cola
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup cherry preserves
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 tsp. prepared chili powder
1/4 tsp. ground cayenne pepper

In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the onion and garlic and cook until slightly softened, 5 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Whisk in the remaining ingredients. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil, then reduce to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, until the mixture thickens and is reduced to 4 cups, 45 to 55 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve warm

Source: Weber's Big Book of Burgers- 2014

While we are talking about Raichlen on another thread, I think I will use one of his books next. Hope we have a lot of Raichlen fans out there. lol

It was a tough decision because I have so many of his books, but I picked this one. "Ribs, Ribs Outrageous Ribs" by Steven Raichlen, pub. 2006. Now, let's find a good recipe for this weeks dinner. I am in the mood for some RIBS!!!!!!!! (pork, you know) lol

There are definitely some good recipes in that book - if you can't find one you like you might as well go vegan!;)

Just posted this on the chicken thread.

This is what we are going to have for dinner tonight. You know me, couldn't wait to post it. lol

Grilled Chicken with White Barbecue Sauce

SAUCE :
1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 TB. coarse ground pepper
1 TB. spicy brown mustard
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. horseradish

CHICKEN:
1 TB. dried thyme
1 TB. dried oregano
1 TB . ground cumin
1 TB. paprika
1 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
10 chicken thighs (3 lb. total)

1. SAUCE: Stir together all sauce ingredients until well blended.
2. CHICKEN: Combine first 7 ingredients. Rinse chicken and pat dry. Rub mixture over chicken. Place chicken in a zip-top plastic bag, seal and refrigerate for 4 hours. Remove chicken from bag.
3. Grill chicken, covered, over medium-high heat for 8 to 10 minutes on each side. Serve with sauce.

Source: John Wayne Way to Grill - 2015

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOHN!!!!!!!!!"

This is a great book for John Wayne fans. Almost all of the recipes have a picture of John Wayne and a bit of information. This is what came with the above recipe.

Did You Know?

Duke was first billed as John Wayne in the 1930 Western "The Big Trail", in which he played rustic-fur-trapper Breck Coleman. It was also his first leading role.

Last edited:
This would go good with tonights dinner if we only had some cabbage.

Quickdraw Sauerkraut
"This pan-seared substitute is as good as the real thing and only takes 15 minutes to cook."

1 Savoy cabbage, rinsed, cored and quartered
2 TB. canola oil
1 TB. mustard seeds
1 tsp. caraway seeds
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper
3/4 cup German beer
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 TB. brown sugar

1. Add oil to a large skillet over medium heat.
2. Drop in cabbage and saute for a few minute until the greens have wilted slightly.
3. Add remaining ingredients to the pan and cook until the liquid has reduced by about half. The cabbage should be tender but maintain its signature crunch.

Source: John Wayne Way To Grill - pub. 2015

It was a tough decision because I have so many of his books, but I picked this one. "Ribs, Ribs Outrageous Ribs" by Steven Raichlen, pub. 2006. Now, let's find a good recipe for this weeks dinner. I am in the mood for some RIBS!!!!!!!! (pork, you know) lol
Now, back to this book. I am going to wait till DH comes back from the store before I start posting recipes. See if he found any Baby Back Ribs.

Yes he did buy some ribs, but I still can't decide on a recipe. I've gotten stuck on this book now. Back in March, DH made a recipe that was from Food Network mag. back in May 2018. It was "Grilled Pork Chops" from Michael Symon's Playing With Fire cookbook. I posted it here in the pork thread back in Jan. I checked Amazon and the book is too much. So, would anyone out there have this book and if so, would you mind checking if it has any good recipes you might share?

Last edited:
Now, back to this book. I am going to wait till DH comes back from the store before I start posting recipes. See if he found any Baby Back Ribs.

Like I said, yes, he did buy ribs, but.........I won't be using Raichlen's book (at least, not today lol). I have a 3" binder full of pork rib recipes that was saying "USE ME, USE ME", so I did. lol We went to the baby back rib section and not too far into it, DH found this recipe using bacon grease and cumin and he went no further. So, here is tonight's dinner. I am going to post the recipe as written, but know that DH has promised me he will cut back on the hot stuff. (sorry about the bottled sauce)

Hot 'n' Spicy Ribs

3 lbs. pork spareribs or baby backs
1/4 cup melted bacon grease
1 TB. ground cumin
1 cup spicy barbecue sauce
1/4 cup orange juice
3 TB. hot sauce
1-1 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes

1. Brush the ribs with the melted bacon fat, sprinkle them with the cumin, and refrigerate for 25 minutes.
2. Preheat the grill to medium high (350 to 400F) for direct and indirect heating, putting a water pan under the unheated side of the grill.
3. Grill the ribs over direct heat for 15 to 20 minutes, turning once to brown them nicely.
4. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the barbecue sauce, orange juice, hot sauce and red pepper flakes.
5. Place the ribs, bone side down, in a double thickness of heavy-duty foil, pour the sauce over the ribs, seal the foil, and place them over the unheated side of the grill for 1 hour. Serves 4

Source: "1,001 Best Grilling Recipes" Rick Browne

Well guess what? Yep!!!! Change of plans. Won't bore you with details, but any wives out there reading this, you know what I mean.

Back