BBQ/Grilling Cookbooks

Ebay 10 Grilling Cookbooks, Including Four Weber Ones

s-l1600.jpg

I thought about buying this. The four Weber book(lets)s would be cool to add to the collection. I already own the Texas book (highly recommend BTW). I have no interest in the others, so the price is too steep for me. Hopefully, some TVWBBer will pick this up to expand their collection. I am really curious about that Cook's Encyclopedia though.

What a great thread - I like my Weber Big Book of Grilling, BBQ Bible, and Meat Head, and Aaron Franklin BBQ books a lot. I've used a few recipes out of each of those, but I think the BBQ Bible is probably the most diverse and interesting. When I'm not as pinched for time I would like to go back and try that dang piri piri chicken recipe again and really nail it as my first attempt did not turn out as well as it should have. I've been cooking and grilling most weekends for 10 + years and still have lots to learn, which makes it a great past time. Weber's Big Book of Grilling is probably my 2nd favorite, but to be honest, I shoot from the hip 80% of the time.

Hi John, so happy to read your post. Thank you. I hope you will stick around and share with us some goodies from your books. DH likes to "shoot from the hip" a lot also, but he sure appreciates it when I find us a real good recipe to follow. lol

While researching what book to use next, I came across this recipe I copied out of one of Raichlens books. Not only did I find a great sounding BBQ sauce recipe, but I found a new series of books I just might start reading. Here is what Raichlen has to say about both.

"How much would the recipe for the perfect barbecue sauce be worth to you? Enough to kill for? Passions run pretty high in competition barbecue and that's what happens to one fictional Kansas City sauce meister, Pigpen Hopkins, in Lou Jane Temple's Revenge of the Barbecue Queens. Temple is a Kansas City mystery writer and her whodunit is the best study I know of the strange and colorful world of competition barbecue. The following recipe has been adapted from the rich apple cider, mustard,, coffee and beer barbecue sauce that one barbecue fiend found tasty enough to murder for."

Whodunit Barbecue Sauce

2 cups apple cider
1 bottle (12 oz) dark beer
1 1/4 cups ketchup
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup honey mustard
1/2 cup yellow mustard
1/2 cup grainy Meaux-style mustard
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup molasses
1/2 cup cane syrup, such as Stein's
1/2 cup brewed coffee
2 TB. Worcestershire sauce
2 TB. Tabasco sauce
2 TB. soy sauce
1 tsp. celery salt
1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. ground coriander
1 habanero chili, seeded and minced
Coarse salt (kosher or sea) to taste

Combine all the ingredients in a large, heavy, nonreactive saucepan and stir or whisk to mix. Bring the sauce to simmer over medium heat. Continue simmering, uncovered, until thick and richly flavored, about 30 minutes, stirring from time to time. Use right away or transfer to jars, cover, cool to room temperature and refrigerate. The sauce will keep for several months. Makes about 9 cups

Source: "Barbecue Bible Sauces, Rubs and Marinades" - Steven Raichlen

This thread has had 5K visitors (Yippeeee) but.....here is my problem. It won't show how many have visited until it turns to 6K (hopefully) so, if you visit this thread, would you mind letting me know? I really would appreciate it. THANKS!!!!! I do know that guests can't post.

Since I am using this book by Raichlen now, I thought I would repost this recipe here. We have made it 3 times now and it is going back in the "Make Soon" folder. My note the 3rd time said more lemon juice. (I made a note the second time we had this I had a Chocolate Martini before dinner. Wish I could do that again. lol)

The first time we made this we gave it a Very Good rating with 5 exclamation marks. This is definitely going in the "make soon" folder.

P.D.T.'S SOURPUSS LEMON CHICKEN MARINADE
(pdt stands for Pretty Da*n Tasty)

1 large lemon
8 TB (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
1/4 cup Worcestershire Sauce
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 jalapeno chili, thinly sliced
1/2 tsp. coarse salt
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper

1. Cut the lemon crosswise into 1/4" slices, working over a bowl to catch the juices. Remove any seeds from the lemon slices and place slices in the bowl.
2. Add rest of ingredients in saucepan and simmer over medium heat until sugar is dissolved, 3 to 5 minutes. Pour mixture into bowl with lemon and stir to mix. Cool to room temp. Use the marinade within an hour of making. Stir before using to mix in the melted butter.

Makes 2 cups; enough for 1 whole chicken or 2 lbs. thighs - marinate overnight, then grill.

Source: Sauces, Rubs and Marinades - Steven Raichlen

Last edited:
This is for JimK and other GUAVA lovers.

Guava Barbecue Sauce
makes 2 cups

1 cup guava paste
6 TB. cider vinegar
1 cup cold water
1/4 cup dark rum
1/4 cup tomato paste
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1 TB. soy sauce
2 tsp. ketchup
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 TB. minced onion
1 TB. minced fresh ginger
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 to 1/2 Scotch bonnet chili or other hot chili, seeded and minced
Coarse salt (kosher or sea)
freshly ground black pepper, to taste

1. Place all the ingredients in a heavy nonreactive saucepan and whisk to mix. Bring the sauce to a simmer, uncovered, over medium heat and continue to simmer until the sauce is slightly thickened and richly flavored, 10 to 15 minutes. Correct the seasoning, adding more salt or pepper if needed. The sauce should be pourable; if too thick, add a little more water.
2. Use right away or transfer to a large jar or squirt bottle, cover, cool to room temperature and refrigerate. The sauce will keep for several months.

Source: "Barbecue Bible Sauces, Rubs and Marinades - Steven Raichlen

Here is Raichlen's interpretation of Kenton "Jake" Jacobs prize winning recipe for a rub for ribs, chicken, turkey, beef. He has won dozens of cook-offs, and his Boston restaurant belongs to the James Beard Foundation.

Jake's Boss Barbecue Rub
makes 2 cups

1 1/4 cups (packed) dark brown sugar
1/4 cup coarse salt (kosher or sea)
1/2 cup paprika
3 TB. dried parsley
3 TB. dried basil
2 TB. dried oregano
2 TB. dried thyme
2 TB. dried onion flakes
1 1/2 TB. dried Worcestershire sauce (optional)
1 1/2 TB. Lemon Pepper
1 TB. garlic powder
1 TB. MSG (optional)
1 tsp. ground allspice
1 tsp. ground cinnamon

Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and stir or whisk to mix. Transfer to a large jar, cover, and store away from heat and light. The rub will keep for several months.

Source: Barbecue Bible Sauces, Rubs and Marinades - Steven Raichlen

To quote Steven Raichlen - "Barbecue without beer would be like, well, life without breathing."

Belgian Beer Marinade

2 cups of your favorite beer
1/4 cup honey mustard
1/4 cup canola oil
1 tsp. coarse salt (kosher or sea)
1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1/2 green or red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and finely chopped
4 scallions chopped
4 cloves garlic, smashed
2 slices fresh ginger, smashed
1 TB. pickling spice
1 TB. paprika
1/2 tsp. caraway seeds

Combine the beer, mustard, oil, salt and pepper in a nonreactive mixing bowl and stir or whisk until the salt crystals are dissolved. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Transfer to a large jar, cover and refrigerate. The marinade will keep for 3 days. Goes best with beef, pork and chicken. Marinate large pieces overnight, medium size for 4 to 6 hours and small boneless pieces for 2 to 4 hours, covered in the refrigerator.

Source: Barbecue Bible Sauces, Rubs and Marinades - Steven Raichlen

I am in need of a volunteer. I was wondering if anyone out there would like to make a recipe that I have posted on this thread and give us all a honest review of it. Some of these recipes we have made and I have given you our honest review. Anyone volunteering?

This first came to my attention back in 2006. Pammela posted it on the CLBB.

Steven Raichlen said, "If I could use only one marinade for the rest of my life, it would be this one."

The Only Marinade You'll Ever Need
Makes 1 cup

1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp. hot pepper flakes
1/2 tsp. cracked black pepper
1/2 tsp. coarse salt (kosher or sea), or to taste
4 strips of lemon zest
3 cloves garlic, crushed or minced
1/4 cup coarsely chopped parsley
1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil, cilantro, dill, or oregano or a mix of all four
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil

Combine the lemon juice, hot pepper flakes, pepper and salt in a glass, ceramic or stainless steel bowl and whisk until the salt crystals are dissolved. Add the lemon zest, garlic, parsley and basil. Stir or whisk in the olive oil. The virtue of this marinade is its freshness. Use it within 1 to 2 hours of making. Stir again before using.

Source: Barbecue Bible Sauces, Rubs and Marinades - Steven Raichlen - pub. 2000

Oh Boy!!!!! I am having to force myself to NOT post any more recipes from this book. So, so many of the recipes just look so good. For those of you that don't have it, may I recommend that you look into getting it. That is, those that like to make their own sauces, rubs and marinades.

On to the next book, I think it better be a Weber book. lol

and it is.......Weber's Big Book of Grilling !!! Let's see what's cookin' inside this big book.

Last edited:
I'm not seeing it. I've also got "Barbecue Crossroads" and I'm not finding it there either. He's written a ton of books including one on Tex-mex.

Back