BBQ/Grilling Cookbooks

Hi Dustin, I just came across a recipe in an article about Robb Walsh. Is this in his book? Barbecued Cowboy Steaks.
Dustin, I did an on-line search and found the article and recipe. I couldn't find any mention of it coming from a book. After reading a lot of the comments about how delicious it was, thought you might like the recipe. I'm also going to make sure DH sees it also. lol

and it is.......Weber's Big Book of Grilling !!! Let's see what's cookin' inside this big book.

Thirteen years ago, we made Beer Can Chicken, but a Steven Raichlen recipe and it was very good. I think it is time to try Jamie's version.

Beer Can Chicken

Rub:
1 tsp. dry mustard
1 tsp. granulated onion
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. granulated garlic
1/2 tsp. ground coriander
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper

1 whole chicken, 4 to 5 lbs.
2 tsp. vegetable oil

1 can (16 oz.) beer (tall boy)

Rub: In a small bowl combine the rub ingredients.
1. Remove and discard the neck, giblets, and any excess fat from the chicken. Rinse the chicken, inside and out, under cold water and pat dry with paper towels. Lightly spray or brush all over with the vegetable oil and season, inside and out, with the rub.
2. Open the beer can and pour (or drink) off half of the beer. Set the half-full can on a flat surface and slide the chicken over the top so the can fits inside the cavity. Transfer the bird to the grill, keeping the can upright. Carefully balance the bird on its two legs and the can. Grill over Indirect Medium heat until the juices run clear and the internal temperature reaches 170F in the breast and 180F in the thickest part of the thigh, 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours. Remove from grill and let rest for about 10 minutes before lifting it from the can. Discard the beer. Makes 4 to 6 servings

Source: Weber's Big Book of Grilling - Jamie Purviance - 2001

This is what we had for dinner last night. The first time we had it with chicken thighs, last night was with bone-in pork chops. The thighs were delicious, but last night, neither I nor DH could finish our pork chops. Even marinating almost 5 hours, they were so dry and tasteless. I know it wasn't the marinade, just a poor cut of chops. Also, if a next time. cut up fresh mango for the marinade. Still could not taste the mango flavor, the main reason for wanting to try this recipe.

Mango Tango Pork Chops
Serves: 6
MARINADE:
1 cup mango juice
1/4 cup rice vinegar
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons minced shallots
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 teaspoons hot garlic chili sauce (Sriracha)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

6 bone-in pork chops, about 3/4-inch thick each

TO MAKE THE MARINADE: In a medium bowl whisk together the marinade ingredients.

Place the pork chops in a large, resealable plastic bag and pour in the marinade. Press the air out of the bag and seal tightly. Turn the bag to distribute the marinade, place in a bowl, and refrigerate for 2 to 4 hours, turning occasionally.

Remove the chops from the bag, reserving the marinade. Allow the chops to stand at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes before grilling. Pour the marinade into a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and boil 1 full minute. Remove from the heat.

Grill the chops over Direct Medium heat until the juices run clear and the meat is firm to the touch, 8 to 10 minutes, turning and basting with the marinade once halfway through grilling time. Serve warm.

Source: Weber’s Big Book of Grilling - Jamie Purviance - 2001

A good one for today

Tequila-Orange Chicken Breasts

For the Marinade:
1/2 cup tightly packed fresh mint leaves
1/2 cup tightly packed fresh Italian Parsley leaves with some stems
1/2 cup fresh orange Juice
2 TB. TEQUILA
2 TB. extra-virgin olive oil
2 medium garlic cloves, crushed
2 tsp. minced jalapeno pepper, without seeds
1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. ground chili powder
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper

4 boneless chicken breast halves (with skin), about 6 oz. each

To make the marinade: In a food processor combine the marinade ingredients and process until smooth.
1. Rinse the chicken under cold water and pat dry with paper towels. Place in a large, resealable plastic bag and pour in the marinade. Press the air out of the bag and seal tightly. Turn the bag to distribute the marinade, place in a bowl, and refrigerate for 2 to 4 hours, turning occasionally.
2. Remove the chicken from the bag and reserve the marinade. Pour the marinade into a small saucepan, bring to a boil over high heat, and boil for 1 full minute.
3. Grill the breasts, skin side down, over Direct Medium heat until the meat is firm and the juices run clear, 8 to 12 minutes, turning and basting with the marinade once halfway through grilling time. Serve warm. Makes 4 servings

Just what we need, another rub recipe.:giggle: Jamie says this is a particularly good one for beef.

Texas Dry Rub

2 TB. paprika
2 TB. light brown sugar
1 TB chili powder
1 TB. kosher salt
1 TB. cracked black pepper
2 tsp. granulated garlic
2 tsp. granulated onion
1 tsp. ground cumin

I know several of you have mentioned that you have Weber's Big Book of Grilling. It has been a week since we started using it here and no one has posted or said anything about having made anything from their book. So, I guess it's time to move on to the next cookbook. There are so many good recipes in this book, will just have to come back to it another day.

Fred Thompson - Some of the cookbooks he has written are "Crazy For Crab" 2004 - "Grill Master" for William-Sonoma 2011 - and "The Kamado Grill Cook Book" 2014 - and the only one of his that I have, "Barbecue Nation" 2007

1595780510928.png

I know a lot of you don't like to make your own spice blend. This one is for you. Also, in keeping with the beer-can chicken theme......
Fred Thompson says, " Steve Sancimino is one of the brothers who run Swan Oyster Depot in San Francisco. When I asked the guys about grilling, they all pointed to Steve. "Hey, he's got two brick barbecue grills in his backyard." says younger brother Tom. "Yeah, I love to barbecue, but I don't use gas or charcoal. Just oak wood, man, that's flavor, especially on chickens." When I ask how he starts the wood, he takes off to the back and returns with a wooden clam box. "I let these dry out, then bust 'em into kindling.

"Since I have a rotisserie, I use it a lot, but I do it beer can style, too," says Steve. "Sometimes I think the beer can style is better because of the moist steam that gets into the chicken."

Steve's Oak-Smoked Rotisserie or Beer Can Chicken

1/2 cup McCormick's Montreal chicken seasoning
Two 3 lb. chickens, giblets removed
Two 12 oz. cans Coors Light beer, if doing beer can

1. Liberally sprinkle both birds inside and out with the seasoning.
2. Set up the grill for indirect grilling. Steve uses oak wood chunks instead of charcoal. Oil your grill's cooking surface.
3. For rotisserie, position the birds on the spit. Close the lid and start the motor. For beer can style, open each can of beer and drink half.. Position each chicken firmly over a beer can and place upright on the grill away from the fire. Cover.
4. Either way, cook until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thigh registers 180F, about 1 1/2 hr. Transfer to a platter and cut into individual serving pieces.

Source: "Barbecue Nation" - Fred Thompson - 2007

This thread will never make it to 7K visitors without your help. A lot of you have already admitted you have cookbooks. How about opening one and find a real good recipe to share with the rest of us? OK?

Still using "Barbecue Nation" cookbook. And I found this recipe using BEER

Beer-Brined Grilled Pork Chops

Beer brine:
2 cups water
2 cups dark lager beer
1/4 cup course salt
3 TB. firmly packed dark brown sugar
3 TB. mild-flavored (light) molasses
1 cup ice cubes

Six 1 to 1 1/4" thick center-cut bone-in pork chops

Garlic-Sage rub:
7 large cloves garlic, minced
1 TB. coarsely ground black pepper
2 tsp. kosher salt
2 tsp. dried sage

1. Combine the water, beer, salt, sugar and molasses in a large bowl, Stir until the salt and sugar dissolve. Stir in the ice. Place the pork chops in a large zip-top plastic bag. Pour the beer brine over the chops and seal the bag. Refrigerate for 4 hours, turning the bag a few times.
2. Light a charcoal fire ore preheat your gas grill on high. Let the coals burn down to a medium-hot fire or adjust the gas grill burners to medium high.
3. Remove the pork chops from the brine and pat dry. Combine the rub ingredients in small bowl, then work in to both sides of the chops.
4. Grill the chops until they are somewhat firm to the touch, barely white at the center, and the juices are clear, about 10 minutes per side, occasionally moving them to the cooler part of the grill if the rub starts to burn.
5. Transfer the chops to a platter, cover with aluminum foil and let stand 5 minutes before serving.

Source: "Barbecue Nation" Fred Thompson-2007

1597066331303.png
This is the cookbook that we will be using for a while. Already have 4 or 5 real good sounding recipes picked out. Throughout the book they have what they call " Recipe Remix: Then and Now". Recipes from some of their earlier cookbooks and on the next page, the new version. I like that idea. I also like that each recipe is written on one page with a beautiful color photo of the food.

DH made this for dinner last night. We were both surprised at how juicy and flavorful the pork was. Hope you enjoy it also.

Roasted Pork Loin with Maple-Mustard Cream Sauce

Sauce:
1 1/2 TB. unsalted butter
3/4 cup finely chopped shallots
3 TB. cider vinegar
2 1/4 cups low-sodium beef broth
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup maple syrup
3 TB. country-style Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp. kosher salt

Rub:
2 tsp. smoked paprika
1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. garlic powder
3/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper

1 boneless center-cut pork loin roast, about 3 1/2 lbs.
1 TB. extra-virgin olive oil
2 TB. finely chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves

1. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the shallots and cook until slightly softened, 5 to 6 minutes, stirring often. Add the vinegar and cook until evaporated, 1 to 2 minutes. Pour in the broth and the cream, increase the heat to high, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and gently simmer until the mixture is reduced to 1 3/4 cups and is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, 20 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the syrup and simmer for 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the mustard and the salt. Set aside while you prepare the roast; or, let cool, cover and refrigerate for up to 3 hours.
2. Combine the rub ingredients. Brush the roast all over with the oil and season evenly with the rub. Allow the roast to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before grilling.
3. Prepare the grill for direct and indirect cooking over high heat (450 to 550 F).
4. Sear the roast over direct high heat, with the lid closed, until the surface is well marked, 8 to 10 minutes, turning occasionally. Move the roast over indirect high heat and grill, fat side up, with the lid closed, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of the roast registers 140 to 145 F, 20 to 30 minutes more. Transfer to a cutting board, tent loosely with foil, and let rest for about 15 minutes (the internal temperature will rise 5 to 10 degrees during this time).
5. Reheat the sauce gently over medium-low heat and add the parsley. Cut the roast crosswise into slices and serve warm with the sauce.

Source: "Weber's New Real Grilling - Jamie Purviance - 2013

Haven't made this and can't promise we will, but it sounds good. lol If we do, of course I will ask DH to leave out the hot chile pepper 🥵😵

Slow-Cooked Peruvian Pork Shoulder

2 cans (each 12 oz.) cola (not diet)
1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
2 lemons, peel and pith removed, cut crosswise into 1/4" slices
1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
1/3 cup packed golden brown sugar
3 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
3 cinnamon sticks, each about 2" long
1 canned chipotle chile pepper in adobo sauce, coarsely chopped
1 TB. dried oregano

1 bone-in pork shoulder roast (Boston butt), 5 to 6 lbs., trimmed of excess fat

1. In a large bowl combine the marinade ingredients and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Score the fat on the roast in a crosshatch pattern, cutting slashes through the fat just to the flesh about 2" apart. Place the roast in the bowl with the marinade and turn to coat . Cover and refrigerate for 12 to 24 hours, turning occasionally. Allow the roast to stand at room temperature for 1 hour before grilling.
2. Prepare the grill for indirect cooking over low heat (250 to 350 F).
3. Place the roast, fat side down, in a large disposable foil pan. Pour the marinade and the solids over the roast. Grill over indirect low heat, with the lid closed, until an instant read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the roast (not touching the bone) registers 190F, 4 to 5 hours, turning once after 1 1/2 hours. Remove the roast and the pan from the grill.
4. Transfer the roast to a platter, cover loosely with aluminum foil, and let rest for 20 minutes. Discard the marinade. Cut the roast into 1/2" slices. Serve warm. Serves 8

Source: "Weber's New Real Grilling - Jamie Purviance - 2013

1597357569208.png
DH is not a big fan of Sweet Potatoes, but, he said he would eat these. I hope ours look as good as Weber's. lol

Spiced Sweet Potato Fries

CHILE SOUR CREAM
1 cup sour cream
2 TB. finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
1 TB. fresh lime juice
1 tsp. hot chili-garlic sauce, such as Sriracha
1 tsp. kosher salt
1 large garlic clove, finely chopped

SEASONING
2 tsp. paprika
2 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. ground coriander
1/2 tsp. ground cayenne pepper, or to taste

2 sweet potatoes, each about 1 lb., peeled
2 TB. extra-virgin olive oil

1. Prepare the grill for direct cooking over medium heat (350 to 450 F) and preheat a perforated grill pan.
2. Whisk the chili sour cream ingredients.
3. Combine the seasoning ingredients. Scrub the potatoes under cold water and then dry them with paper towels. Cut the potatoes into 4 by 1/2 by 1/2 inch sticks. Toss the potatoes thoroughly with the oil and the seasoning.
4. Spread the potatoes in a single layer on the grill pan and grill over direct medium heat, with the lid closed, until they are tender when pierced with a knife, 12 to 15 minutes, turning occasionally to brown all sides. Remove from the grill and serve warm with the chili sour cream.

Source: "Weber's New Real Grilling" - Jamie Purviance - 2013

Last edited:
I know several of you have mentioned that you have Weber's Big Book of Grilling.

I just got this book a couple of weeks ago. My wife saw someone a box of free stuff on the side of road. In the box, there was this book plus two gardening knee pads. Took them home for me. Good wife!

Back