BBQ/Grilling Cookbooks

Ron, what's the copyright date? Does it contain hilarious photos of people in period-specific clothing?;)
It has a 1979 and 1972 copyright dates and says it is the 7th printing, nothing unusual about the clothing that I noticed, but then again I was kid growing up in the 60's and 70's so.....;)🤪🤪

Barbecuing The Weber Covered Way is a very common book, they come up on eBay all the time.

Yours for only $4.99 + $2.80 postage: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-19...overed-Way-Hard-Cover-Grill-Book/184494945974

The best part of the book is this photo on the table of contents page; the photo varies depending on the edition of the book. I've always wondered where they took this photo. And note the corn on the open grill!

IMG_1282.JPG

Last edited:
Barbecuing The Weber Covered Way is a very common book, they come up on eBay all the time.

Yours for only $4.99 + $2.80 postage: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-19...overed-Way-Hard-Cover-Grill-Book/184494945974

The best part of the book is this photo on the table of contents page; the photo varies depending on the edition of the book. I've always wondered where they took this photo. And note the corn on the open grill!

View attachment 17179
That's the edition I have.

I have got to stop looking at this site after I have dinner, or lunch or breakfast for that matter I always want to go grill something right after I open the page!

I just picked up Barbecuing the Weber Covered Way. Some very interesting period recipes from the 70s. When we take donations to the local thrift shops I always check out the book section for books on grilling and barbeque. I've picked up some great books for next to nothing.

I have yet to be disappointed with any of the recipes under Cooking Topics on this site. We haven't yet tried Pot Roast a la Stogie or Keri's Blue Ribbon Cornbread - those are each on our short list.

Read through this thread and did not see Low & Slow by Wiviott mentioned. Entirely possible I missed it.
We have enjoyed several of his recipes - specifically the bourbon & honey brine for chicken. Also liked crunchy crust mac & cheese and black bottom pie. Once the pandemic subsides, I am looking forward to taking his funeral potatoes to a pot luck.
We liked it well enough to order Low & Slow 2.

Here is his 'All-Purpose Rub' which we have mixed up multiple times:
1/3 c toasted Mexican pepper blend (guajillo, ancho, passilla, morita, pequin)
2 tbl Kosher salt
1 tbl black pepper
1/2 tbl dried thyme
1/2 tbl dry mustard

Weber's Time To Grill - Forgot all about this book. It has 15 recipes that are marked to try. Will have to check them all out again and refresh my memory. lol
1607812693426.png

How about you guys? Any interesting cookbooks that you have asked Santa to bring you?

Last edited:
OK, now I know what happened. The first time I checked out this book, I found a whole bunch of "red meat" recipes that I thought DH would like. But, I also have some pork and chicken recipes marked. (and a few desserts lol)

For starters, there are 13 recipes for rubs. I picked 3 to post here and they do not call for sugar.

Chicken and Seafood

4 tsp. granulated onion
4 tsp. granulated garlic
1 TB. kosher salt
2 tsp. prepared chili powder
2 tsp. ground black pepper
In a small bowl mix the ingredients-Makes about 1/4 cup

Magic Rub

1 tsp. dry mustard
1 tsp. granulated onion
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. granulated garlic
1/2 tsp. ground coriander
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
In a small bowl mix the ingredients-Makes 2 TB.
Can be used on beef, pork, chicken, seafood, vegetables

Asian Rub

2 TB. paprika
2 tsp. kosher salt
2 tsp. ground coriander
2 tsp. Chinese five-spice powder
1 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. ground allspice
1/2 tsp. ground cayenne pepper
In a small bowl mix the ingredients-Makes 1/4 cup

Source: Weber's Time to Grill - Jamie Purviance - 2011

....and then there are 11 marinades, here are three of them.

Sweet Bourbon Marinade

1/2 cup bourbon
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
2 TB. Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp. finely chopped garlic
2 tsp. finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
In a medium bowl whisk the ingredients-Makes 2 cups
Can be used on pork or chicken

Worcestershire Paste

2 TB. extra-virgin olive oil
2 TB. Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp. cracked black pepper
2 tsp. granulated garlic
1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. smoked paprika
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
In a small bowl whisk the ingredients-Makes 1/4 cup
Can be used on beef

Mojo Marinade

1/2 cup fresh orange juice
2 TB. fresh lime juice
2 TB. soy sauce
2 TB. extra-virgin olive oil
1 TB. minced garlic
1/2 tsp. hot pepper sauce
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
In a small bowl whisk the ingredients-Makes 1 cup

Source: Weber's Time to Grill - Jamie Purviance - 2011

Brad, I keep forgetting to ask, did you find your Weber's Big Book of Grilling or get a replacement for Christmas?

DH bought some fresh corn the other day and while deciding what Weber cookbook to use next, I thought I would check out Weber's Ultimate Grilling cookbook. And sure enough, they have just what I was looking for.

Corn on the Cob with Chile Oil and Lime

Chile-spiked oil:
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. ancho chile powder or prepared chili powder
1/4 tsp. sweet or hot paprika

4 ears of corn, husked
1 lime, cut into 4 wedges
chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
Maldon salt (optional)

1. Prepare the grill for direct cooking over medium-high heat (400 TO 450F). In a small bowl whisk together the oil ingredients. Brush the corn evenly with about 2/3 of the seasoned oil.
2. Grill the corn over direct medium-high heat, with the lid closed, until browned in spots and tender, 10 to 15 minutes, turning occasionally.
3. During the last 1 to 2 minutes of grilling, lightly baste the corn with the remaining seasoned oil. Remove from the grill and squeeze a wedge over each ear. Garnish with cilantro and Maldon salt if using. and serve.

And here is the recipe I will probable be able to eat. lol Variation.......

Mexican Style

Husk the corn and rub very lightly with oil. Grill the corn as directed. While warn, spread mayonnaise over each ear of corn, about 1 TB. for each. Sprinkle the corn with 1/3 cup Cotija cheese, 2 tsp. prepared chili powder and 1 TB. chopped fresh cilantro.

Source: Weber's Ultimate Grilling

Back