BBQ/Grilling Cookbooks

Lately, my wife has been doing most of the cooking because I spend so much time in my gardens. I have 16 4x10 raised beds, two community garden plots, and some common community garden areas. Lots of enjoyable work.

Bill, that does sound like a lot of work. OK, then ask your wife if she would use the cookbook. There just might be some recipes using a lot of goodies from your gardens.

Ohhh, ask her to look at page 328. It sounds soo good. Hope you are growing tomatoes and zucchini. It's called "Summer Vegetables with Romesco Sauce".

PS - Be prepared, I just looked at the rest of the vegetable recipes. You might have to plant more gardens. lol

Last edited:
I couldn't resist. As much as I love the Weber cookbooks, I also love Steven Raichlen's books. Have had "Project Smoke" for a few years now. So, as much as I say I am not going to buy any more cookbooks, I broke down and ordered Raichlen's "Project Fire". Received it the other day. The first almost 50 pages are devoted to "The Seven Steps to Grilling Nirvana". Then the one I am going to really check out is Chapter 2 "Breakfast on the Grill". You know if I find anything really tasty looking, I will share it here. lol

Haven't been using my cookbooks for quite a while now. Want to get back to that. While browsing through some old posts here, I came across the question and answer forum. Chris asked Jamie Purviance about Weber's contribution to the Weber cookbooks he authors. In case you missed it, here is what Jamie said.

"Weber is heavily involved in the creation of each book. They work with the publisher(s) on the concept. I write a recipe list and ask for their feedback. For Weber's Ultimate Grilling, my list was a little too gourmet. They asked me dial it back to more approachable backyard fare. From there they oversee everything -- the design, the photos, the text, etc. These books are a big deal for Weber. They are sold more than a dozen countries around the world. So they keep me honest and make sure the books are top notch. We've been working together for more than 20 years, so there is a lot trust at work here. They know I'll keep working and reworking recipes until they worthy of the Weber name."

Since I missed "National Taco Day" yesterday, this is for you DH.

This recipe is just one of four ideas Jamie gives us for using "Prime Rib Leftovers". If we don't have that, I guess we can use another beef leftover.

Beef Chili Tacos

Make a simple guacamole by mashing the flesh of 2 large ripe Hass avocados with 2 tsp. fresh lime juice, 1/4 tsp. kosher salt and 1/8 tsp. ground black pepper. Set aside. Thinly slice 4 to 6 oz. leftover beef, cutting away any large clumps of fat. Cut the beef slices into 1/4" chunks (about 1 1/2 cups).

In a medium saucepan heat 2 TB. olive oil over high heat. Add the beef and fry until brown and crispy, 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat to medium, add 1 can (15 oz.) chili with beans, and cook until the chili is thickened and warmed through.

Meanwhile, warm 6 to 8 small flour or corn tortillas. Fill the tortillas with the beef mixture and guacamole. Garnish with chopped fresh cilantro. Serve warm.

Source: Weber's Ultimate Grilling - Jamie Purviance - pub. 2019

Beef Satay

Marinade
1 scallion, finely chopped
1/3 cup ketchup
1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
3 TB. packed dark brown sugar
3 TB. fresh lemon juice
1 TB. peanut oil
1 tsp. grated fresh ginger
1 tsp. minced garlic
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes

1 1/2 lb. top round or beef tenderloin
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter

1. In a small bowl whisk the marinade ingredients with 1/4 cup water.
2. Cut the beef into 3/4" cubes. Place the cubes in a large, resealable plastic bag and pour in the marinade. Press the air out of the bag and seal tightly. Turn the bag to distribute the marinade, place in a bowl and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours.
3. If using bamboo skewers, soak in water for at least 30 minutes.
4. Remove the meat from the bag, reserving the marinade. Thread the meat on to skewers, leaving space between the cubes. Allow the meat to stand at room temperature for 15 to 30 minutes before grilling.
5. Prepare the grill for direct cooking over high heat (450 to 550F).
6. Grill the skewers over direct high heat, with the lid closed as much as possible, until cooked to your desired doneness, 3 to 5 minutes for medium rare, turning once.
7. Pour the reserved marinade into a small saucepan, bring to a boil over high heat, and boil for 1 full minute. Add the peanut butter, return to boil, and whisk until the sauce thickens. Serve warm with the beef skewers.

Source: Weber's Big Book of Grilling - Jamie Purviance

I just got this book a couple of weeks ago. My wife saw someone a box of free stuff on the side of road. In the box, there was this book plus two gardening knee pads. Took them home for me. Good wife!
Hi Bill, just wondering if you or your wife have had the chance to use your new cookbook? How are your gardens doing? Has it snowed up there yet?

DH helped me pick at random, the next BBQ book to use. It is "The Big Book of Outdoor Cooking & Entertaining" by Cheryl & Bill Jamison - pub. 2006. While looking through the book, I came across this. "Crunchy Natchez Catfish and Hushpuppy Fry" recipes. Part of the recipe introduction says something I thought was amusing. "It's the best mingling of cat's and dog's you've ever seen in your backyard.". lol

On to find something really good to make (hopefully).

Since I am using this book by Raichlen now, I thought I would repost this recipe here. We have made it 3 times now and it is going back in the "Make Soon" folder. My note the 3rd time said more lemon juice. (I made a note the second time we had this I had a Chocolate Martini before dinner. Wish I could do that again. lol)

The first time we made this we gave it a Very Good rating with 5 exclamation marks. This is definitely going in the "make soon" folder.

P.D.T.'S SOURPUSS LEMON CHICKEN MARINADE
(pdt stands for Pretty Da*n Tasty)

1 large lemon
8 TB (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
1/4 cup Worcestershire Sauce
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 jalapeno chili, thinly sliced
1/2 tsp. coarse salt
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper

1. Cut the lemon crosswise into 1/4" slices, working over a bowl to catch the juices. Remove any seeds from the lemon slices and place slices in the bowl.
2. Add rest of ingredients in saucepan and simmer over medium heat until sugar is dissolved, 3 to 5 minutes. Pour mixture into bowl with lemon and stir to mix. Cool to room temp. Use the marinade within an hour of making. Stir before using to mix in the melted butter.

Makes 2 cups; enough for 1 whole chicken or 2 lbs. thighs - marinate overnight, then grill.

Source: Sauces, Rubs and Marinades - Steven Raichlen
This was dinner tonight. As always, very good. Remember I said to save those empty tubs from butter. They do come in handy. lol

1603064737413.png

Last edited:
My new favorite cookbook is Master of the grill by Americas test kitchen, it walks you thru each recipe including how to set up your grill whether you are using a gas or charcoal grill.

My new favorite cookbook is Master of the grill by Americas test kitchen, it walks you thru each recipe including how to set up your grill whether you are using a gas or charcoal grill.
Nice! Next one I'll check out. Sounds interesting from the reviews I just quickly perused on Amazon.

DH helped me pick at random, the next BBQ book to use. It is "The Big Book of Outdoor Cooking & Entertaining" by Cheryl & Bill Jamison - pub. 2006. While looking through the book, I came across this. "Crunchy Natchez Catfish and Hushpuppy Fry" recipes. Part of the recipe introduction says something I thought was amusing. "It's the best mingling of cat's and dog's you've ever seen in your backyard.". lol

On to find something really good to make (hopefully).
Well, I haven't checked ALL of this book, but for now, I am going to put it aside till another time.

I have selected (ok, I asked DH to give me a number between 1 and 100, he picked 32 lol) and it came up "Gather Round the Grill" by George Hirsch -pub. 1995. You know it is an old book when on the cover they refer to him as "Public Television's hottest NEW star. lol The cover also says it is a year of celebrations. They list the chapters as such; Spring - Summer - Fall - Winter - Holidays (Easter, Mother's Day, Father's Day. Thanksgiving, New Year's Day, Patriotic Holidays) and 4 pages of Basic's. Wish me luck!!!!

I think DH is planning on making this sometime this week. He asked me to put pepperoni on the shopping list. lol

Brussels Sprouts and Pepperoni

George says, "This may seem like an unusual combination, but the saltiness of the pepperoni and the cabbage flavor of the
Brussels sprouts come together very well."

1/2 lb. pepperoni stick, thickly sliced on an angle
1 TB olive oil
1 pint Brussels sprouts, washed and trimmed
1 TB. honey
1/2 small onion, thickly sliced, brushed with oil, grilled 3-4 minutes and diced
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
Freshly ground black pepper

Prepare the grill, high heat.
Grill the pepperoni slices slightly charred. Heat the oil in a saute pan on the grill, toss in the Brussels sprouts and honey and quickly stir-fry. Add the onion and oregano. Add the pepperoni to the pan and toss well. Sprinkle with black pepper and serve immediately. Makes 4 servings

Source: "Gather Round the Grill" - George Hirsch - pub. 1995

I've been really enjoying the collection of books on Scribd.com for BBQ, smoking meats etc. They've lots of Weber books with recipes and plenty of other top rated and best selling BBQ books. I'll have to put together a list for anyone interested.

I got this one when I bought a Kettle from a very nice Gentleman over at the wkc site, I just came across it again as I was going through some other books.
4A15aoql.jpg

Ron, what's the copyright date? Does it contain hilarious photos of people in period-specific clothing?;)

Back