BBQ/Grilling Cookbooks

Oh boy, hard decision time. This book says it has (and I quote) "175 Make-Your-Own Sauces, Marinades, Dry Rubs, Wet Rubs, Mops and Salsas". Just glancing through it quickly, I found something that is just what I like. It is kind of similar to what we have picked out for tonights dinner, so we won't be making this for a little while, but soon I hope.

Hawaiian Marinade

1 cup pineapple juice
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup Garlic Vinegar (see note below)
2 TB. grated fresh ginger
2 garlic cloves, pressed
1 tsp. black pepper
1/2 cup sesame oil
1/4 cup canola oil

Combine the pineapple juice thru pepper in a nonreactive bowl. In a separate bowl, mix the two oils. Using a wire whisk, beat the combined oils into the pineapple mixture, a little at a time, until the mixture is emulsified. Use the marinade immediately or store in an airtight jar in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Allow the mixture to come to room temperature before using.

Use this marinade for pork chops or ribs, or for chicken. Each should be marinated 2 to 4 hours. Makes about 2 3/4 cups

Note: If you do not have Garlic Vinegar on hand, combine 4 to 6 cloves of pressed garlic, or 2 tsp. of granulated garlic, with 1/2 tsp. sea salt in a nonreactive pan. Add 1 cup of white vinegar and simmer the mixture over medium heat for 20 minutes. Let the vinegar cool and it is ready to use.

Source: "Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue Sauces" pub. 1998

I am really enjoying reading Paul Kirk's cookbook. I especially am enjoying the section on "Barbecue Seasoning and Rubs". He starts off by showing us how to make our own blends. He takes us step by step on how to put together the basic and then how to make it our own. Then he has recipes for about 20 different blends I guess he has created. I wanna make them all. lol!!

Anyone else have this book?

I have a copy of "Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue Sauces" but must confess that it's not been opened for quite awhile now. If you don't already have it, "Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue" is worth adding to your shelf.

I posted this recipe last month. DH made it for last nights dinner.

Rosy Teriyaki Marinade and Dipping Sauce
(makes about 1 1/2 cups)

1/2 cup pineapple juice
1/3 cup molasses
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup grated onion
1 tsp. ground ginger

1. Combine all of the ingredients in a nonreactive bowl, and blend well.
2. Use the marinade immediately, or store it for up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator. Allow the mixture to come to room temperature before using.
3. You can use this as a marinade or as a dipping sauce, but once meat has soaked in it, do not reuse it. Make up a fresh batch of the marinade just for dipping.
4. Use this to marinate beef steaks, pork ribs, or chicken, for 2 to 4 hours, or fish for 1 to 2 hours.
Variation: Replace the onion with 2 cloves of garlic, minced. Add 4 finely chopped scallions, too.

Source: "Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue Sauces" cookbook - Pub. 1998
DH used this recipe to marinate a couple of bone-in chicken thighs. We both thought it was VERY GOOD !!!

I have a copy of "Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue Sauces" but must confess that it's not been opened for quite awhile now. If you don't already have it, "Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue" is worth adding to your shelf.
Brad, hope you are opening it now. A lot of really good sounding recipes. I like all the helpful information he gives also. Did you read this on page 65?

Breaking the Rules

"Once I had a fellow from Ethiopia come to one of my classes. They use a lot of spices in Ethiopian cooking. Well, this fellow had about twenty different ingredients in his rub. I doubted that the rub would have any good flavor at all; it was excessive. Darned if his ribs didn't turn out to be the best in the class."

I was glad to read that. I love working with a lot of different herbs and spices.

Strange, here is another example of someone in his class that didn't follow his instructions.

Andy's Rub

"Andy was a student who didn't follow my instructions for developing a rub, and he ended up with the best ribs of all in a class of 22 students."

1 cup cane sugar
1/2 cup seasoned salt
3 TB. garlic salt
3 TB. celery salt
2 TB. onion salt
1/3 cup paprika
2 TB. black pepper
1 TB. lemon pepper
1 tsp. ground celery seed
1 tsp. dry mustard powder
1 tsp. ground thyme
1/2 tsp. ground allspice
1/2 tsp. cayenne
1/2 tsp. dried chives

Combine all of the ingredients except the chives in a sifter, and sift to blend. Crumble the chives into tiny pieces, and mix in well. Store in an airtight jar in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 weeks or in the freezer for up to 6 months. Sprinkle in on the ribs heavily and cook over indirect heat. Makes 2 1/2 cups.

Source: Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue Sauces - pub. 1998

Strange, here is another example of someone in his class that didn't follow his instructions.

Andy's Rub

"Andy was a student who didn't follow my instructions for developing a rub, and he ended up with the best ribs of all in a class of 22 students."

1 cup cane sugar
1/2 cup seasoned salt
3 TB. garlic salt
3 TB. celery salt
2 TB. onion salt
1/3 cup paprika
2 TB. black pepper
1 TB. lemon pepper
1 tsp. ground celery seed
1 tsp. dry mustard powder
1 tsp. ground thyme
1/2 tsp. ground allspice
1/2 tsp. cayenne
1/2 tsp. dried chives

Combine all of the ingredients except the chives in a sifter, and sift to blend. Crumble the chives into tiny pieces, and mix in well. Store in an airtight jar in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 weeks or in the freezer for up to 6 months. Sprinkle in on the ribs heavily and cook over indirect heat. Makes 2 1/2 cups.

Source: Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue Sauces - pub. 1998
Those rubs have a lot of ingredients. I’m sure they’re good but I’m heading in the opposite direction.

Considering where we are, I thought it was time to check out my WEBER cookbooks. lol I think tonight is chicken's turn, so I pulled "Weber's On The Grill-Chicken and Sides". It starts with whole chicken recipes. The first 2 had seasonings in it that we don't like. The 3rd recipe sounded good. "Beer Can Chicken Seasoned With Garlic, Lemon and Herbs." I read the ingredients and other than beer and oil and chicken it says to use Weber's Beer Can Chicken Seasoning". Darn, sorry, don't have. Checked it out and some places list most of the ingredients, but it's not something I could make. Oh well, I guess I will have to keep looking. If anyone has a recipe that comes close, I would appreciate it if you post it.

Thanks Jeff, checked it out, but would like to make my own. Always leary of the strange things they list in store bought blends.

We did have chicken last night, but as I posted elsewhere, it was store bought wings. But, I am still checking out the Weber chicken cookbook. Found two recipes so far that are going in our make soon folder. Here is the first one. (on pg. 30 for those that have the book).

Tandoori Chicken Marinated in Yogurt and Indian Spices

Marinade:
1 cup plain yogurt
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 TB. minced fresh ginger
1 TB. minced garlic
1 TB. paprika
2 tsp. ground cumin
2 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. ground turmeric
1/2 tsp. ground cayenne pepper

6 pieces of your choosing
vegetable oil

1. In a large glass or stainless steel bowl, combine the marinade ingredients.
2. Add chicken pieces and marinate in the refrigerator for 6 to 12 hours.
3. Prepare the grill for direct and indirect cooking over medium heat (350 to 450F).
4. Remove the chicken from the bowl and wipe off most of the marinade. Discard any remaining marinade. Lightly brush the chicken with oil.
5. Grill the chicken with the meatier sides facing down first, over direct medium heat, with the lid closed, until grill marks form and the chicken begins to brown, 5 to 8 minutes. Turn and move the chicken over indirect medium heat, close the lid and cook until the juices run clear and the meat is opaque all the way to the bone. Breast and wings will take 30 to 35 minutes and whole legs will take 40 to 50 minutes. Remove from the grill and let rest for 3 to 5 minutes.

Source: Weber's On the Grill-Chicken & Sides pub. 2010

The second one is on page 32. I REALLY hope we make this one soon. BACON!!!!!!!! LOL

Barbecued Chicken with Bourbon-Bacon Sauce

Sauce:
4 slices bacon, cut into 1/2" dice
1 cup finely chopped yellow onion
1 TB. minced garlic
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup dark molasses
1/4 cup yellow mustard
1/4 cup bourbon
2 TB. brown sugar
2 TB. Worcestershire sauce
1/8 tsp. Tabasco sauce

4 whole chicken legs, 10 to 12 oz. each, trimmed of excess fat and skin

2 handfuls hickory wood chips, soaked in water for at least 30 minutes

1. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, cook the bacon until crisp, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat to low, add the onion and garlic, and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the remaining sauce ingredients and simmer for about 5 minutes. You should have about 2 cups of sauce. Remove from the heat and let cool..
2. Marinate chicken in 1 cup of sauce in refrigerator for at least 8 hours or up to 24 hours.
3. Remove chicken from marinade and let sauce cling to it. Discard sauce left in bag/bowl.
4. Prepare the grill for indirect cooking over medium heat (350 to 450F)
5. Drain and scatter the wood chips over lit charcoal or put them in the smoker box of a gas grill, following manufacturer's instructions. Grill the legs, skin side down, over indirect medium heat, with the lid closed for 25 to 30 minutes. Then brush both sides with a thin layer of the sauce and continue cooking until the juices run clear and the meat is no longer pink at the bone, 25 to 30 minutes, occasionally turning and brushing with the sauce. Remove from the grill and let rest for 3 to 5 minutes. Serve warm with the remaining sauce on the side.

Source: "Weber's On The Grill-Chicken & Sides" - pub. 2010

A few nights ago, DH made beef short ribs following a recipe that called for root beer in the braising liquid. Even with a little extra root beer, DH and I could not taste the root beer. I just came across a recipe in the Weber chicken book (pg. 42) that also calls for root beer. Maybe we might be able to taste the root beer this time.

Thighs and Drumsticks with Root Beer Barbecue Sauce

Sauce:
1 TB. extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup finely chopped yellow onion
1 tsp. minced garlic
1/2 tsp. grated fresh ginger
1 cup root beer
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup fresh orange juice
2 TB. Worcestershire sauce
2 TB. light brown sugar

1/2 tsp. grated lemon zest
Kosher salt
Ground black pepper

Rub:
1 1/2 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. prepared chili powder
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper

4 chicken thighs (with bone and skin) 5 to 6 oz. each, trimmed of excess fat and skin
4 chicken drumsticks, 3 to 4 oz. each, trimmed of excess fat and skin
Extra-virgin olive oil

1. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, warm the oil. Add the onion and cook until tender but not browned, 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and ginger and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the remaining sauce ingredients. Whisk until smooth, and simmer over medium-low heat until the sauce is thick and coats the back of a wooden spoon, 20 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the lemon zest. Season with salt and pepper. Divide the sauce and use about 1 cup for basting the chicken and the rest for serving.
2. In a small bowl mix the rub ingredients. Lightly brush the chicken pieces all over with oil and season evenly with the rub. Refrigerate until ready to grill (but no more than 2 hrs.)
3. Prepare the grill for direct and indirect cooking over medium heat (350 to 450F).
4. Grill the chicken skin side down first, over direct medium heat, with the lid closed as much as possible, until golden brown, 6 to 10 minutes, turning occasionally. Move the chicken over indirect medium heat, close the lid, and cook for about 10 minutes. Then brush both sides with a thin layer of the sauce. Continue cooking over indirect medium heat, with the lid closed as much as possible, until the juices run clear and the meat is no longer pink at the bone, about 20 minutes more, occasionally turning and brushing with the sauce. Remove from the grill and let rest for 3 to 5 minutes. Serve warm with the reserved sauce.

Source: "Weber's On The Grill-Chicken & Sides" pub. 2010

On to the next cookbook - Weber's Big Book of Burgers. I'm sure we will find a lot of goodies in this one. Anyone else have it?

Just a little ways into the book, I came across this recipe. What a coincidence. lol Nothing too fancy but I thought I would post it anyway.

Route 66 Burgers

Sauce:
1/3 cup mayonnaise
2 TB. ketchup
1 TB. sweet pickle relish
1 TB. finely chopped shallots

Patties:
1 1/2 lbs. ground chuck (80% lean)
3/4 tsp. garlic powder
3/4 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper

4 slices American cheese
4 hamburger buns, split
4 leaves Boston lettuce
1 ripe beefsteak tomato, about 6 oz., cut crosswise into 4 slices

1. Combine the sauce ingredients.
2. Mix the patty ingredients, and then gently form four patties of equal size, each about 3/4" thick. With your thumb or the back of a spoon, make a shallow indentation about 1" wide i n the center of the patties to prevent them from forming a dome as they cook. Refrigerate the patties until ready to grill.
3. Prepare the grill for direct cooking over medium-high heat (400 to 500F).
4. Grill the patties, with the lid closed, until cooked to medium doneness (160F), 8 to 10 minutes, turning once. During the last 30 seconds to 1 minute of grilling time, place a slice of cheese on each patty to melt, and toast the buns, cut side down, over direct heat.

Source: Weber's Big Book of Burgers-pub. 2014

Last edited:

Back