BBQ/Grilling Cookbooks

Joan

Keep on posting, a lot of people lurk and don't post.

Ok back to cook books. I have a few Jamie Perviance cookbooks and really enjoy them.

I found this cook book at a garage sale for .25 Cents and really enjoyed reading some of the recipes. It was published in 1966 and there is a lot of great information that still holds true today.

fae9tUO.jpg

bEcXUJ0.jpg

I hope you enjoy reading the Ribs pages, till next time.

Thanks Jeff for your words of encouragement.

Looks like you got a great deal there. Thank you for the look inside. I like the recipe for the onion spareribs. Want to try that soon. If we do, will sure let you know.

I’m looking at the ribs recipe. I’m not sure that it would be done after 1 hour. I would think it would still be tough. Thoughts?

I’m looking at the ribs recipe. I’m not sure that it would be done after 1 hour. I would think it would still be tough. Thoughts?

Which one? First one calls for meaty loin spareribs and I think Chef Bell is mistaken. Loin ribs come from high on the hog, spares from the lower end.
Jim Lampe had some quick cooked loin back rib cooks in Show & Tell and IIRC they took roughly an hour.
Second one calls for boiling ribs, and that's all I'm gonna say on that one. :rolleyes:
Still a cool cook book tho.

Tim

Thanks Jeff for your words of encouragement.

Looks like you got a great deal there. Thank you for the look inside. I like the recipe for the onion spareribs. Want to try that soon. If we do, will sure let you know.

Make sure you post your results Joan.

Bill in 1966 they ate everything off a bbq and said it was great.;)

You can still get it from Amazon, for $4.49, you got a deal.

LOL Thanks Bob.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000KS3U5Y/tvwb-20

Which one? First one calls for meaty loin spareribs and I think Chef Bell is mistaken. Loin ribs come from high on the hog, spares from the lower end.
Jim Lampe had some quick cooked loin back rib cooks in Show & Tell and IIRC they took roughly an hour.
Second one calls for boiling ribs, and that's all I'm gonna say on that one. :rolleyes:
Still a cool cook book tho.

Tim

Tim I saw the cover and price and what the heck, i bought it.

A 1960 Weber cook booklet gave 1 hour and 40 minutes for cooking pork back ribs directly over 60 lit briquettes, no foiling. I'm not so sure they tested some of their recipes back then.
Page 13:
https://tvwbb.com/docs/1960weberrecipes.pdf

Bob I think your correct, as said above everybody thought is was great because it came off a BBQ.
We know better, i like some of the marinades though.

Here's my collection:

KDLggTv.jpg

It's just a small section of the 11 board-feet of cookbooks that remain after my wife decided to Konmari the cookbooks recently. The old Weber red book is called the Bible around our house.

Our favorite recipe in that one is the grilled lamb chop, eggplant, bread dish. Company is really impressed by it for some reason. The grilled chili recipe in Smoke is fantastic too. Nothing like cooking with cast iron over hot coals.

Memory is sure going fast. Forgot about this thread. Yes, I was away AGAIN for a while. Went back to that UK site. I tried very hard to take what they were dishing out and they were making MORE changes to my game. But, when the owner got rude, that was it. Soooo guys, I'M BACK!!!!! lol. I feel like I have a bunch of big brothers protecting me here. Feels good, THANK YOU!!!!

I just want to add, even when I am busy on another site, I still ALWAYS check in here at least once or twice a day. Nosy me, I have to see what you all are up to and if you all are behaving yourselves. lol When I say AWAY I mean I am not bugging you with my recipes. lol

Memory is sure going fast. Forgot about this thread. Yes, I was away AGAIN for a while. Went back to that UK site. I tried very hard to take what they were dishing out and they were making MORE changes to my game. But, when the owner got rude, that was it. Soooo guys, I'M BACK!!!!! lol. I feel like I have a bunch of big brothers protecting me here. Feels good, THANK YOU!!!!

Sorry to hear that you had issues on another site. Good to have you back. Why did the owner get rude?

I put my grills away for the winter so I’m not doing any BBQ until the spring. I also have been cooking less meat since my daughter is a pescatarian. Need to adapt until she goes to college in a couple of years.

Hi Bill, thank you so much. Believe me, it is really good to be back. Let's just say, we are really lucky to have Chris!!!!!!

I checked what a pescatarian is. At least she is getting more nutrients in her than just being a vegetarian. But she does have to watch out she does not get too much Mercury in her system. If I can be of any help, please let me know. I do love shrimp, crab and lobster. And I have tons of recipes. lol

Bumping this back up. Anyone acquire new cookbooks? Cooked anything good lately out of your books?
I ordered a “Very Good “ copy of The Complete Meat Cookbook yesterday for $6.61 with free shipping. I’m sure I’ll enjoy it.
After all, I still enjoy reading my Mom’s fifty year old set of Time Life cookbooks from time to time.
65E1F87B-AF6C-4708-9A72-AFBDE7766EE3.jpeg

Last edited:
People think I am crazy for doing this, but I have a record of every recipe we have tried since the 80's. lol
That’s amazing. My Mom gave a copy of Joy of Cooking to me years ago and that was all I needed for a number of years.
Justin Wilson’s cookbooks were the first cookbooks I bought.

Back