- BBQ Bucket list

Last edited:
Though I am Florida guy, best bbq I’ve had from a restaurant was Oklahoma Joe’s in KC. The one in or that used to be a gas station.

Though I am Florida guy, best bbq I’ve had from a restaurant was Oklahoma Joe’s in KC. The one in or that used to be a gas station.

Its now just named Joes. The " Oklahoma Joe " part , Joe Davidson , left and opened two Oklahoma Joe joints in the Tulsa area. Mrs Dollar is going to a quilting show in KC next month, I'm lobbying that she hits Joes so I can get a full report.

Sort've funny, I don't see a lot of rave reviews on the Oklahoma Joes in Tulsa.

Its now just named Joes. The " Oklahoma Joe " part , Joe Davidson , left and opened two Oklahoma Joe joints in the Tulsa area. Mrs Dollar is going to a quilting show in KC next month, I'm lobbying that she hits Joes so I can get a full report.

Sort've funny, I don't see a lot of rave reviews on the Oklahoma Joes in Tulsa.
Well all I know is that in KC was amazing. Better than Bryants. Danny Edwards was pretty good but Joes was best.

Wow, tons of great ideas.
A little concerned about the 50 pounds I’m going to gain, lol.
But it really would be a dream trip !!!

Roy's BBQ in Hutchinson, KS on West 5th Street. Maybe not bucket list but the best you'll find if passing through central Kansas. As good as anything you will find in Wichita.
I'm hoping to be in Hutch on business early next month... trying to plan my visit there around lunch or dinner time so I can check it out.

John,
Be sure to break for lunch early, say around 11. They have limited seating there is a line before the door is open.
I hope they are still in business. It has been quite a while since I lived in the area. Good luck and travel safe.

Edit:

https://roysbbq.com

I had to Google it to satisfy my curiosity. Looks like they are still cookin', enjoy!

Last edited:
Roy's BBQ in Hutchinson, KS on West 5th Street. Maybe not bucket list but the best you'll find if passing through central Kansas. As good as anything you will find in Wichita.
I'd put it on a bucket list just because it's not someplace famous that's on a zillion other bucket lists.;)

Brian, if you do find yourselves in KC I suggest the Oak Ridge Manor location of Stroud's for a change of pace. A balanced diet is important. ;)

This my friends is an excellent idea, My wife and I have traveled by car over lower 48 several times and have found some real winners, usually requiring us to buy sauce or rub. I will use this list on future trips and maybe add a few. There are no greater critics than those of us who smoke meat!

There maybe other approaches to a BBQ bucket list you might want to consider. Instead of the best places, what about the oldest places or the most influential places (which may not be the same thing). Or restaurants that are pushing the limits of barbecue? Or even more interesting would be the folks who make the smokers we cook on? A tour of Weber is fascinating but probably hard to get. But guys like David Klose in Houston is certainly worth a visit as his cookers are just as eccentric as he is. Harry and I usually try to get into the kitchen of a BBQ joint if at all possible. It is a worthy lesson, more often than not.

There maybe other approaches to a BBQ bucket list you might want to consider. Instead of the best places, what about the oldest places or the most influential places (which may not be the same thing). Or restaurants that are pushing the limits of barbecue? Or even more interesting would be the folks who make the smokers we cook on? A tour of Weber is fascinating but probably hard to get. But guys like David Klose in Houston is certainly worth a visit as his cookers are just as eccentric as he is. Harry and I usually try to get into the kitchen of a BBQ joint if at all possible. It is a worthy lesson, more often than not.
Great ideas. I love the influential idea, and seeing more than just the food would be cool. I’ve seen some YouTube videos where people get into the kitchen, I’m sure that’s not easy but my friend is a chef so sometimes that helps.

Ok, so my friend has this idea of doing a guys trip, maybe in an RV, to hit a bucket list of BBQ legends

Would love some thoughts of “can’t miss” places from the folks here.

This is our starter list:
Franklin BBQ, Austin TX
Snows BBQ, Lexington, TX
Salt Lick BBQ, Driftwood, TX
Kreutz Market, Lockhart, TX
Big Bob Gibson BBQ, Decatur, AL
Rodney Scotts, Charleston, SC

Who else should we add to the list?
Trying for all 50 states?

Trying for all 50 states?

Not so much. The bucket list part is about the BBQ, at least for us. We’d be going with the idea that multiple places in Texas or Memphis, etc, have to be better than some states‘ best. For example, I’ve had BBQ in Vermont, it was nice, but not “the dream”.
Also, I love my friend, but by the time we hit fifty states one of us would definitely kill the other…..

Back