- BBQ Bucket list

BrianCal

TVWBB Pro
Ok, so my friend has this idea of doing a guys trip, maybe in an RV, to hit a bucket list of BBQ legends

Would love some thoughts of “can’t miss” places from the folks here.

This is our starter list:
Franklin BBQ, Austin TX
Snows BBQ, Lexington, TX
Salt Lick BBQ, Driftwood, TX
Kreutz Market, Lockhart, TX
Big Bob Gibson BBQ, Decatur, AL
Rodney Scotts, Charleston, SC

Who else should we add to the list?

Ok, so my friend has this idea of doing a guys trip, maybe in an RV, to hit a bucket list of BBQ legends

Would love some thoughts of “can’t miss” places from the folks here.

This is our starter list:
Franklin BBQ, Austin TX
Snows BBQ, Lexington, TX
Salt Lick BBQ, Driftwood, TX
Kreutz Market, Lockhart, TX
Big Bob Gibson BBQ, Decatur, AL
Rodney Scotts, Charleston, SC

Who else should we add to the list?
Being a native of Decatur, AL I highly recommend the Danville Rd location for brisket and ribs. 6th Ave location has the better chicken hands down. Pork is equal at both places. Big Bob’s is a a great place and all the menu items have been taken up a notch in the past few years. Enjoy!

There is a Rodney Scott’s in Bham that opened up in the past few years. Needless to say it has done well, they are typically receptive to folks checking out the pits.

On your way from NY to the BBQ Belt. Hit my place in Dayton(ish) OH for some basic backyard hack BBQ to remind you why you are going to ”The Promised Land”. Not to mention a pit stop and a top off. Then hit Eli’s in Cincinnati OH (byob and cash only). Then hit The Bourbon Trail in KY. No sense in wasting a 3rd of your travel time without decent eats.

I'd love to hit Louie Miller or Snows down in TX.

2nd the motion for Arthur Bryants. While in KC you gotta hit either Joe's KC BBQ (original gas station) or Q39 (Q39's a little fancy)

Also you need a Memphis BBQ joint on the list if you wanna get to heaven. I haven't been to Memphis in a long time, but would seriously consider hitting the Rendezvous if I'm there again. Then go to Graceland for a peanut butter, jelly, and bacon sandwich and get your Elvis on 🤣

The drive from Decatur, AL to Austin, TX should take you through Memphis. West of Memphis is Marianna, AR where you might find Jones BBQ. I have not tried this place but am trying to find a reason to get over there.

Magnolia, AR is about an hour east of Texarkana. Might be out of the way a bit. Backyard BBQ company is there - I can attest to that place. The world's largest charcoal grill can also be found here.

While in KC you need to stop in at Gates BBQ - great old school BBQ. The ladies will yell at you from the behind the counter but don't be concerned- it's just crazy loud behind them :p they are sweet as can be.

As long as you are in Lockhart, TX - check out Smitty's Market too - absolutely amazing!

On your way from NY to the BBQ Belt. Hit my place in Dayton(ish) OH for some basic backyard hack BBQ to remind you why you are going to ”The Promised Land”. Not to mention a pit stop and a top off. Then hit Eli’s in Cincinnati OH (byob and cash only). Then hit The Bourbon Trail in KY. No sense in wasting a 3rd of your travel time without decent eats.
Have been wondering about Eli’s. My son goes to Xavier so when I visit I have wanted to try. And his girlfriend is from Dayton too !!!
My friend would definitely be into the Bourbon thing, I’m more of a vodka guy (in spite of drinking waaayyyyy too much siberian moonshine vodka in Moscow many moons ago)

Roy's BBQ in Hutchinson, KS on West 5th Street. Maybe not bucket list but the best you'll find if passing through central Kansas. As good as anything you will find in Wichita.

Back