At last

D Livingston

TVWBB Fan
I've been off line for a while, in the process of moving to a new home. Well, new to us, but it was built in 1939. We closed and got the keys on Friday and had the beds, clothes, and kitchen stuff loaded in a small U-Haul already and after unloading that, my wife and daughters went to Minnesota for a wedding. I made numerous trips with the U-Haul between then and Sunday trying to get the things I could handle and the most important things necessary to live in the house. The rest of the family got back Sunday night and we made two more U-Haul trips yesterday for more, including the grills and patio stuff. I finally got a chance to fire up the Master Touch for some burgers tonight. I'm pretty sure I'm really going to enjoy this patio.

y4mHcSNdYvIATxpqBxc1pku4HHB8dE0fvNz9JuNFCU9xldryygqeugA8yzd2z5EH4nVvB20yiCuHn2VgRsKBtyy59Xp4AyQ5Pjfo4fZdUK27htSUljKM_wLWDN6d6nHPRRbh1MULV6tx4oXftNR6ACq4Pd2PvocsThcC6GeEk6UQWpxGAWzTFQ0-idm2e48rZhHGF6xYXH5uabA7QFWxudLSg

Looks like a great new entertainment area! Where are your new,digs? We have to know so we can come when the housewarming grilling begins!😉

Nice! Is the fireplace functional or does it need some work?

Both. It is functional and has a full chimney (it's on the side the garage). But the little walls at the fireplace hearth need some masonry work, as does the short brick wall around the patio. We'll probably have that done and maybe hire a chimney sweep before using it. And I'm not sure I want to light any fires in there until I can get the dead ivy off the chimney anyway (not visible in the picture, but it's there). But the fireplace has one of those big swinging cast iron hooks, and I fully plan to hang my giant dutch oven on that to make a big pot of chili in the fall.

My wife is a bit of an introvert, but I told her with this house, we'll have to entertain some.

Looks like a nice place about five years ago Barb and I bought and sold three houses and moved three time in less than two years. The thought of ever moving again gives me the chills.
My wife says our next move is to the home!

Years ago, when our 2 daughters were growing up and we had a 3BR, 1BA house, my wife told me in no uncertain terms that we needed to either move or find way to make the house bigger. Even though we'd lived there only 12 years I'd already accumulated so many Valuable Items (or as my wife calls them, "crap") in the basement and garage that I couldn't even begin to fathom the idea of moving...fast forward almost 18 years and the kids are gone, we're still in the same house although it now has an additional 1/2 (used to be 3/4 until the shower died but I'm thinking about maybe doing something about that, although there's no sense rushing into things) bath, a split-level master bedroom and an attached garage (which has allowed me to accumulate even more Valuable Items).

And at some point I realized that adding on was never about making more room for the kids, it was about making more room for us to get away from each other.;)

Last edited:
My wife says our next move is to the home!

We're about 90% done. I am exhausted and I have to have lost at least 10 pounds doing all this in the 90+ degree weather we've had. There are a couple of small things still at the old house and we still have some boxes to unpack (not counting the ones we put in the basement to go through "later"). At one point this past weekend, my wife said that moving is too exhausting and we have to stay in this house until we can no longer handle the stairs. I pointed out the two "closets" that are pretty obviously part of what once was an elevator shaft and told her I don't think we're ever moving again.

It did cool down enough Saturday evening for us to have the cliche July 4th burgers and corn on the cob off the grill for dinner out on the patio.

Back