Arborfab Minion Starter Basket

Jeff Boudman

TVWBB Wizard
Has anyone used one of these and does it work as advertised?
Thanks,
Jeff

Attachments

• 1B78E0C3-CA9D-4CED-9A28-A6DD6F4A1FCE.jpeg
    1B78E0C3-CA9D-4CED-9A28-A6DD6F4A1FCE.jpeg
    100.8 KB · Views: 46
I'm a fan of using the dough-nut/hole in the middle fire building method on the WSM. on my 22" I've used 3 methods;

1. fill the ring up with charcoal, hand pick out the middle of the dough-nut, put the unlit coals in the chimney, light chimney, dump back in.

2. put a tin can, or starter basket in the middle, put unlit coals all around the tin can thingee, then pour lit coals from a chimney into the tin can.

3. fill the entire ring up with charcoal, bury some* lighter cubes or tumble weeds in the first layer, in the center of the fire ring, & light it up!

All these methods work, and the time it takes from "ignition" to target temperature is about the same. But #3 is the SAFEST method.

With #3 (A) No chance of dropping hot coals anywhere, and (B) no hot chimney to deal with and (C) no mess to clean up around the chimney from charcoal dust or ashes and (D) no worries about where a hot chimney goes to cool down and (E) no need to remove/handle a hot tin can or vortex. I think the purpose built cans from Arborfab are intended to stay in during the whole cook, so you don't have that step/potential issue if you buy that equipment. Not sure about leaving coffee can in the hot coals.... probably not recommended.

I acknowledge that MOST everyone is using chimneys without any safety concerns (including myself) BUT, this is becoming my go to method because I'm kind of a safety nut, and I there is also less clean up. I also enjoy this method because it feels more like I'm building a camp fire (fun) rather than handling red hot lava (not as fun). If my WSM was on a wooden deck, or I lived in an area where wildfires are a concern, or I was forced to wear flip flops all the time, #3 is the ONLY method I'd ever use ;)

I think step #3 takes a little more practice (but not much)... after you light the coals inside the fire ring, you have to keep an eye on the fire and decide when you want to put the smoker together and start cooking. As with anything related to fire building wind and weather is a factor. Using 1 fire starter is a really conservative way to start because the fire will build slower. If you want to try this method, and are targeting a 225F temp, start with 1 tumbleweed. If you want to run hotter/faster, Start with 2 or 3 tumble weeds instead of just one.

Look for metal suppliers around you, in Michigan there's alro metal outlets, you can pick up their offcuts of expanded metal or perforated steel by the pound. I bought some and I spent 8 bucks. Made a new charcoal ring and starter basket. I tacked it together but if you don't have a welder you could use stainless bolts and nuts

That’s a good point Drew but,
I have gone to the Enrico Brandizzi method of sidewinder minion method. I simply make the ring as full as gravity will allow and light the side toward the door with a torch (maybe two minutes?) and, let the fire crawl from there out/across the center fire method if fine but this works very, very well for me. Try it maybe you will like that.
I should go over to the Alro office and get some expanded material to increase charcoal capacity! Thanks for the reminder, Now, I have to remember that tomorrow!🤔😉

Look for metal suppliers around you, in Michigan there's alro metal outlets, you can pick up their offcuts of expanded metal or perforated steel by the pound. I bought some and I spent 8 bucks. Made a new charcoal ring and starter basket. I tacked it together but if you don't have a welder you could use stainless bolts and nuts

This. I built a basket out of a piece of expanded that I got from Metals Supermarkets (pricey, but convenient,) here locally. While I did tack weld it together, like Drew says, just a little hardware will keep it together.

I use a empty large tomato can,labeled removed### but I really do not use all the time I mostly just pull coals out of the center and dump the lit ones in the hole.

I’ll probably just use an empty can. However, the Arborfab is pretty intriguing. However, $18.90 shipping for a $22.00 small item is a deal breaker.

Last edited:
I like the bury a couple of starter cubes and fire it up method that was suggested. My smoker sits on cinder blocks with a ceramic tile on top, keeps my nosy yorkies from getting burned.

I like the bury a couple of starter cubes and fire it up method that was suggested. My smoker sits on cinder blocks with a ceramic tile on top, keeps my nosy yorkies from getting burned.
I was using the tin can method in my arborfab basket - switched about a month ago to burying starters. Works really well.

Back