ApplewoodSmokePulledChicken

Jim Lampe

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
i bought 3 boneless skin-ON chicken breasts weighing approximately 2¼lbs each...

applewoodsmokedpulledchicken02282021a.jpg

...and about 10 pounds of sticks and thighs...

applewoodsmokedpulledchicken02282021b.jpg
applewoodsmokedpulledchicken02282021c.jpg

made a brine i've used for turkeys... i like it a lot (the recipe is at the bottom of this post).

brine02282021.jpg
the bird parts were brined overnight.
then, parts removed, patted dry and arranged on cooking grates for the 22" WSM smoker.

applewoodsmokedpulledchicken02282021e.jpg
applewoodsmokedpulledchicken02282021f.jpg

WSM22in02282021.jpg

Brine Ingredients:
· 2.5 gallons of water
· 2 cups of salt
· 2 cups of light brown sugar
· 1 tablespoon black pepper corns
· 1 tablespoon dried thyme leaves
· 1 tablespoon ground sage
· 1 tablespoon dried parsley

Heat 1/2 gallon (8 cups) of water to a very low simmer and add in all the ingredients.
Stir until salt and sugar has dissolved.
Turn fire off and let cool to room temperature.
Once it cools down, pour the remaining 2 gallons of cool water into your brining bucket.
Then add the seasoned 1/2 gallon of water into the fresh 2 gallons of water and stir well.

smoked over Weber briquettes and some very nice apple wood

applewoodsmokedpulledchicken02282021h.jpg
sticks and thighs were done in about 5½hours at an average temp range of 215ºF to 240ºF.
the temp never went over 240.

applewoodsmokedpulledchicken02282021i.jpg

getting impatient with the time, i brought the temp up over 250ºF to finish the breasts...

applewoodsmokedpulledchicken02282021j.jpg
they took another 45 minutes.

this is the dark meat (sticks & thighs pulled)....
applewoodsmokedpulledchicken02282021k.jpg

...and one breast with the dark pulled.
applewoodsmokedpulledchicken02282021L.jpg

only one breast in, i vacuumed sealed the other two.

applewoodsmokedpulledchicken02282021m.jpg
the coolness of this cook is i used no other seasoning on the bird before smoking, only the brine.
the smokiness of the chicken is profound and the flavour is extremely intense!
This is absolutely the best smoked chicken i've made AND ever tasted!

Thank you all for swinging by! eet.gif

Last edited:
.....and what are we making with this haul of smoked, pulled chicken, Jim? Enchiladas? Burritos? Tacos? Pot pies?

Looks great, and thanks for the brine!

R

Man that looks terrific! I feel like I can almost taste it looking at those pictures. Thanks for sharing the brine recipe. Definitely bookmarking.

i bought 3 boneless skin-ON chicken breasts weighing approximately 2¼lbs each...

View attachment 23410

...and about 10 pounds of sticks and thighs...

View attachment 23411
View attachment 23412

made a brine i've used for turkeys... i like it a lot (the recipe is at the bottom of this post).

View attachment 23413
the bird parts were brined overnight.
then, parts removed, patted dry and arranged on cooking grates for the 22" WSM smoker.

View attachment 23414
View attachment 23415

View attachment 23416

Brine Ingredients:
· 2.5 gallons of water
· 2 cups of salt
· 2 cups of light brown sugar
· 1 tablespoon black pepper corns
· 1 tablespoon dried thyme leaves
· 1 tablespoon ground sage
· 1 tablespoon dried parsley

Heat 1/2 gallon (8 cups) of water to a very low simmer and add in all the ingredients.
Stir until salt and sugar has dissolved.
Turn fire off and let cool to room temperature.
Once it cools down, pour the remaining 2 gallons of cool water into your brining bucket.
Then add the seasoned 1/2 gallon of water into the fresh 2 gallons of water and stir well.
Looks fantastic and I love the wheels on your WSM!

That looks great! Thanks for sharing the method and the brine recipe. It looks awesome.
Not to be greedy but the wife is a slaw freak/aficionado/snob. Yours looks right up her alley. You could really help a brother out with at least a starting point.

That looks great! Thanks for sharing the method and the brine recipe. It looks awesome.
Not to be greedy but the wife is a slaw freak/aficionado/snob. Yours looks right up her alley. You could really help a brother out with at least a starting point.
Let you know tomorrow
Liz made it, and she’s snoring now 💤

Looks pretty much like the slaw that is popular in my neck of the country.

Looks pretty much like the slaw that is popular in my neck of the country.
It’s good stuff Bob, I like much more than mayo styled slaws
A local grocery chain makes really good vinegar slaw but we’re tired of paying for it so, homemade is always better and fresher

That is mouthwatering! I would LOVE a smoked chicken sandwich. And I agree that well-smoked chicken does not
need any rub or seasoning.

I'm impressed Jim, that chicken looks fantastic and thanks for the brine recipe. Barb and I are going to be doing some bone in breasts that Safeway had for $.99 a pound to vacuum seal and use for future meals today. Not as fancy as yours but good just the same.

Amazing, Jim! I really appreciate the details on the process. It never would have occurred to me to not season after the brine. I will be trying this for sure!

Did you rinse the chicken after brining, or just pull it out of the bucket, pat it dry, and throw it on the smoker?

Back