Anyone been watching BBQ with Franklin on PBS?

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
I've been watching BBQ with Franklin on PBS.org because my local PBS station is not showing it (yet). I'm enjoying it, he's got a good sense of humor, and it's fun to watch him do everything from cook a brisket to build an offset smoker.

He discusses the merits of the WSM in Episode 4: The Pits. He gives a pretty fair assessment of our favorite cooker, I think.

Have you been watching? What do you think?

http://www.pbs.org/food/features/bbq-with-franklin-episodes/

I love the show. He's very entertaining to watch. The assessment of the cookers was fair, although I dunno if the egg-heads would agree. The disadvantages of the offset are definitely the disadvantages. I like the interviews with Daniel Vaughn. I never thought of putting a wrapped brisket in a faux cambro as "cooking." Good stuff.

I love the show. He's very entertaining to watch. The assessment of the cookers was fair, although I dunno if the egg-heads would agree. The disadvantages of the offset are definitely the disadvantages. I like the interviews with Daniel Vaughn. I never thought of putting a wrapped brisket in a faux cambro as "cooking." Good stuff.

I had a chance to meet Daniel Vaughn and get is book autographed this weekend. We spoke for a good 5 minutes and he could not of been a more nice guy. I was always a fan of his articles/book and twitter feed but am a bigger fan!

I'm upset my local pbs station isn't showing it. I plan on watching it online. from reading other things he's said (his book, interviews etc) I get the impression he hasn't used vertical smokers much. he seems to think you have to use wood chips. he also has some theory that the smoke that comes from smoldering wood isn't as good as one from a full flame which I find a questionable argument. In particular the fact that most people who use offsets aren't really doing anything different than those using verticals. anyone want to tell us what he says here? or is that a "spoiler alert?

I watched one today, that I had recorded. I enjoyed it! It was on him building a backyard pit and doing whole hog. I cannot see myself ever doing this but I truly enjoyed seeing someone else do it.

I plan to watch every episode I find. I like Franklin - he doesn't seem to take himself too seriously. I would love to sample the brisket at his restaurant but I just live too far from Texas.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

We don't have it on our local PBS, but when someone post his latest videos I have been watching them as I feel he gives out some really good information and he makes it fun to watch.

It's not showing on my local PBS station, but I stumbled across it on the PBS app on my iPad. Aaron is so down to earth and easy to listen to. Here would be a great BBQ teacher!

Thanks for the heads up, Chris. Hadn't even heard about it. Looks like there's a marathon of episodes on the 4th of July starting at 10am, at least on my cable provider.

Finally got to watch a few ep's this weekend. I enjoyed it. I like how after almost every assessment or suggestion he goes "but do what you want it's your cooker".

Is there only the 6 episodes of this 1st and only season? Good TV for sure, I'd love to pick his brain over a six pack and some BBQ...

Thanks, Chris. I watched the brisket episode and noticed that nobody is separating the point and the flat. I've never done it that way.

Chris,

I didn't know about this show until I saw the link. When I went to the page, I saw a picture of two men. One of the star of the show, the other, was John Markus, my former boss on The Cosby Show. Neither of us were into barbecue back then, but both of us are heavily into it now. How odd.

I though the episode I saw was really good. I look forward to watching the rest.

Bill

Back