Anyone air frying?

I have to say that I'm impressed with the fryer. More than met our expectations. More than any other appliance I've purchased, none has won-over my better half as much as this one. She was on the fence, ate some fries, and has now searched about 600 million recipes. 🙄

I have to say that I'm impressed with the fryer. More than met our expectations. More than any other appliance I've purchased, none has won-over my better half as much as this one. She was on the fence, ate some fries, and has now searched about 600 million recipes. 🙄
Which fries recipe did you use?

A couple days ago we were using our Ninja flip up device. As I have mentioned it's kind of a PIA to clean and seems like stuff splatters far worse in it than simply frying something on the stove top. But in an effort to keep mess down I try to use some parchment paper on the drip pan. Was cooking some Costco Crab Rangoons I found there (which BTW are really good). Anyway while cooking them, I noticed a weird smell. Wife said "oh doesn't seem different to me". Once they were done I found the fan had sucked the end of the parchment up and it was up against the upper heating element. Needless to say the parchment paper was a little "roasty". :D
Sadly I really like the thing but really only for making toast. For anything else I find I have to spend 30 minutes or more cleaning it for something that might have taken 10 minutes to cook. Not a good return on my time.

As some of you know I don't do well grilling in the winter. So, I asked Santa for a new larger slow cooker as ours is 30 years+ old and acting a little funky and an air fryer. I must have been a good boy last year as I got both. So far with the air fryer we have done frozen bread sticks, bakers, seasoned bone in chicken thighs. Last night we did KFC chicken thighs, used our recipe that we do with the vortex on the performer. Got to say it was winner- winner with the air fryer. Perfect crispy skin and moist tender meat and it only took about 20 minuets to cook.
So far, I'm impressed with the Air Fryer.

My issue is the cleanup. I have to work 3X longer than it takes to clean it than it takes to cook and eat what comes out of it. I think it's just a matter of Ninja made more effort into having it fold up than to how badly everything splatters in it and how hard it is to clean. GREAT toaster though. About the best I ever had :D

My issue is the cleanup. I have to work 3X longer than it takes to clean it than it takes to cook and eat what comes out of it. I think it's just a matter of Ninja made more effort into having it fold up than to how badly everything splatters in it and how hard it is to clean. GREAT toaster though. About the best I ever had :D
I had an oven type air fryer (won in a credit union customer appreciation raffle) which I used a couple times and hated. Noisy and a pain to clean. I gave it to a friend. I bought the basket type (Instant Vortex 9 qt.) and love it. It’s quiet and I can clean it in 3 minutes max. I must admit I’ve never tried toast in it.

Well I don't know if you could toast in a basket type air fryer. Once spring is here, the air fryer won't matter as everything will go in the grill :D

I made some "smashed" potatoes using my airfryer tonight. Had some ping pong ball sized red potatoes, boiled until tender then smashed partially just to break the skin open and expose the interior. Drizzled with melted butter and salt & peper then transferred to the littlle bottom plate, plate lowered into drawer and "air fryed" at 375 for 5 minutes. Pretty good taters, nice crispy skin.. golden brown and delicious. ;)

Air fryers are big in demand in the UK, due to higher energy costs, which have sky rocketed. Some makes of fryers go out of stock, as soon as they come in. So we are just using them, to save energy, although its healthier cooking.

Was just looking at the ATK Air Fryer roundup (recent episode) and they don't like the toaster oven type I bought. Indicating the same reason I am not enjoying it as much more than a "toaster"

I have had a Cuisinart TO-65A for 2 years, air fryers for 6. My first was a GOWISE. Worked great but reliability was terrible.
With it just being Mary and I, It gets used 3 to 4 times a week. Works great and it’s small, perfect for 2! Makes killer garlic bread!

View attachment 65103
I have one similar to this one, on occasion I do breaded shrimp and fries in it...I have some spray canola oil I very lightly put on the outside and it works well in that manner...If I really want something fried, like chicken or fish I do it the old fashion way in a cast iron skillet with oil but that is maybe once every 3 months.

we got rid of our toaster once we started using this oven, its great for toasting bread and making side dishes where you dont want to fire up the big oven ....once it dies I plan on getting a nicer model like a breville

Ok, new to this game which air fryer would you buy? 6 qt Vortex ?
Thanks in advance....

Thanks Dan, I’m leaning toward the 6qt instapot vortex so far.

Lots to look at with these air fryer’s.

I like my 4qt instant vortex, but a little larger would be OK.

Hoping @Tim Campbell can give feedback on the 6qt.
I mostly got it because of its ratings. Size was not that big a deal...small family, didn't figure it would be used a ton. I was wrong. It's been used about 10x in 2 weeks, and I absolutely would buy the 6 qt again. Air fryer Roast chicken! It's a tight fit but it's excellent.

Cleanup is simple, too. I have yet to do anything but air fry in it so far. I'm intrigued by the dehydrate feature...can anyone school me on that?

Not sure this helps, Dan. It's been mostly small bites so far, with the exception of the chicken. And a half-slab of ribs.

Back