Anyone air frying?

One advantage getting one as a gift is not having to do all the research. I just plugged it in and started cooking.

The one I have is a 4 quart by Instant pot. 13.1'' length x 10.1'' wide x 11'' height.

It seems a pretty good size for our needs, and it's really easy to clean.

IB_140-3079-01_140-3006-01_Vortex-Plus_4QT-6QT-SS_ATF_Square_Tile1.jpeg

That’s been the one I seem to keep going back to, there is something about it that appeals to me, how much of it is dishwasher safe Dan?

The top of my fridge is covered with so much stuff that isn’t an option. I lost an entire cabinet to the dishwasher but, if I really pare down the crap in the pantry, I might be able to shoehorn it in. Really when one spends as time amassing the kitchen equipment that I have, it’s hard to pick and choose what you want immediately available and what can be in “back stock” almost without fail if I put the hotel pans “Deep” I need them within three days! And I might be inheriting a few more soon. They are too big to fit in regular size totes, maybe I need some massive storage bins,

That’s been the one I seem to keep going back to, there is something about it that appeals to me, how much of it is dishwasher safe Dan?

The top of my fridge is covered with so much stuff that isn’t an option. I lost an entire cabinet to the dishwasher but, if I really pare down the crap in the pantry, I might be able to shoehorn it in. Really when one spends as time amassing the kitchen equipment that I have, it’s hard to pick and choose what you want immediately available and what can be in “back stock” almost without fail if I put the hotel pans “Deep” I need them within three days! And I might be inheriting a few more soon. They are too big to fit in regular size totes, maybe I need some massive storage bins,
I haven't read the instructions yet, but I think the pullout section can go in the DW.

I've just rinsed it with hot water so far. Here are some pics for size comparison. Gallon milk and quart of cream

20230113_144644.jpg

Pic of the overhead burner and fan

20230113_144659.jpg

the tray or shelf slides out. I use plastic tipped tongs to pull it out with food on it. I haven't even used soap to clean it and I've used it a few times, but I have not cooked anything really messy either. I hand wash all my non-stick pans and this doesn't look like it will be a challenge to keep clean.

This pic was after a batch of zucchini coins.

20230113_144719.jpg

Brussels sprouts are awesome in a air fryer, cut in half, stir them in a bowl with a little olive oil, seasoned salt, pepper and a little maple syrup. Throw in the air fryer at 390* for about 15 minutes, give them a shake a couple of times while cooking. Yum.

Our daughter air-fried a steak in hers. I only had a couple of bites but I thought it tasted pretty good.

We got pretty much this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SCGY2H6/?tag=tvwb-20 one. Makes great toast, passable as an air fryer but total PIA to clean. Nice because it flips up and out of the way, but it's interior height leaves a lot to be desired. Wife wanted an air fryer but still wanted a toaster oven big enough to hold a pizza. I hated the huge toaster oven so I got this. It's OK and does a lot of things though other than toast none of them really well
I have the SP301 bit of an upgrade from what you have. Pain to clean yes, I do keep a frozen pizza in the fridge for certain occasions it does a fantastic job as that searing plate really gets the crust done nicely I cook at 500 degrees. Air Fry for my Lamb Weston fries fantastic job on those but I don't think it works as well as a dedicated air fryer. I needed an all in one unit and this is probably one of the best out there. IMO I have never had say fried shrimp or whatever done in an air fryer that tastes anywhere near as good as fried. Its a healthy thing no doubt but I am 69 so the few times I eat fried foods I want fried food in oil. :)

We have one that looks similar to Dan's. At first I really thought it was just a gimmick and never bothered with it much. But, my Wife started using it now and then and I must say I'm impressed. Really, it's just a compact convection oven. But that's a good thing - to me it seems to be pretty efficient because of its size and speed.

The heating element is up high enough that it's more or less out of the "splatter zone" and so far the basket and catch pan have cleaned up very easily.

So far we've cooked mostly "finger foods" in it when we've had people over but my Wife cooked a bunch of salmon fillets (two at a time) which came out great. She also cooked a thick rib-eye in it and even that came out pretty nice. It makes great sweet potato fries.

We h
I have had a Cuisinart TO-65A for 2 years, air fryers for 6. My first was a GOWISE. Worked great but reliability was terrible.
With it just being Mary and I, It gets used 3 to 4 times a week. Works great and it’s small, perfect for 2! Makes killer garlic bread!

View attachment 65103
We have, I think, the TOA-55 Cuisinart. It replaced a GoWise air fryer and a dead toaster. Once you adjust to the hotter temps, it works great. Toasting bread, bagels, and English Muffins is sweet. It works great as an air fryer and I use it on a regular basis. Bacon bakes quickly.

I may try one just for the fried shrimp, and go from there.......
I highly recommend coconut shrimp. I've deep fried them for years and the first time on the air fryer was as good as fried.

I more or less make them like this recipe. I've used sweetened or unsweetened coconut, whatever I have and add a little cayenne pepper to the flour.

Last edited:
Made this one last night came out really great, crispy outside and very moist inside.

Air Fryer Chicken Thighs Super Crispy

Ingredients

4 Bone (in, skin on chicken thighs, trimmed of excess fat and skin)
½ teaspoon Kosher Salt
1 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
½ teaspoon Oregano
½ teaspoon Onion Powder

INSTRUCTIONS

Preheat your air fryer to 380F for 5 minutes. After pre-heating, spray with cooking spray.
Add the chicken thighs to a large zip-top bag or a bowl with a lid. Top with the kosher salt, smoked paprika, garlic powder, oregano and onion powder. Shake to coat.
Place the chicken thighs in the air fryer, skin side down, for 12 minutes.
Turn your chicken thighs skin side up and cook for 10 minutes more. If you would like your chicken thighs super crispy. Cook for 4 minutes increments to get your desired crispness.
Thighs are done when an internal meat thermometer reads 165F.

12/02/22

I was very skeptical of air fryers until we were at a neighbor's party a year ago, and they made a some really great appetizers using theirs. I bought this one, and I'm now a believer. I've made steaks, pizzas, brussel sprouts, fish, garlic toast, shrimp, mushrooms, cinnamon rolls, etc, etc. Everything has turned out fantastic. Super easy cleanup either hand washing (most of the time) or in the dishwasher.

Instant Vortex Plus 6-quart

Ok, Karl may have put the last nail8; the airfryer for me, that’s the third time that one has come up here (I think) so, when I get off the dime that looks like the one for me!

Ok, Karl may have put the last nail8; the airfryer for me, that’s the third time that one has come up here (I think) so, when I get off the dime that looks like the one for me!
Karl posted the 6 quart. I have the 4 quart.

6 quart is slightly larger
12.8"D x 11.8"W x 14.9"H

vs 4 qt
13.1'' D x 10.1''W x 11'' H

I think either would be a good choice.

I made space for it on the counter today so it could stay out.

Back