Anybody have experience with these thermometers?

I hear Popeye's uses Olive Oil...

Sorry, that's my dad joke for the day. I'll stop now.

I think that’s worth 6 points!

Chick-fil-a isn’t the worst thing I’ve ever eaten, nor is it the best. It’s fast freaking food, my stars, what do you expect?

Last edited:
Barb and I eat out maybe few times a year, on our anniversary we go to downtown Prescott once it's dark (Prescott is known as Arizona's Christmas City) where the courthouse plaza is all lit up for Christmas. We go to the local brewery which is across the street from the courthouse, get a window seat and have some fish and chips and their Christmas beer.
I love Mexican food and there are some good little Mom & Pop Mexican restaurants that I'll get the urge to go to.
Oh and when I get my annual checkup from my cardiologist and all is good Barb and I head over to Taco Don's and get a couple machaca breakfast burritos to celebrate. 1 1/2 pounds of goodness wrapped in a 15" tortilla. We get two big meals out of those puppy's.
Can't remember the last time I had fast food.

Don't know why relating my PERSONAL experience with a place of business (good or bad) makes me "contrarian". I heard for years how good they were and could not wait to get one here in Rockford. First time we tried them the food was in a word disgusting. Not as bad as say White Castle (which leaves a semi permanent aroma of foul grease) but basically flabby, tasteless protein (they said it was chicken). So I figured new restaurant teething pains. Tried them about 5x afterward in various ways. Eat in, carry out, pieces of fried chicken strips, chicken sandwiches always with the same flabby protein, tasteless greasy results. Have not bothered again over the last year or so because they never improved.
Maybe when stores like them come to Rockford they figure they don't have to try. I don't know but I REALLY hate being called names because my EXPERIENCE with an establishment was bad enough to make me not want to patronize them.
I have never tried them in any other locale so on that theory I cannot give a conclusion. Rest assured what they pass off as fried chicken here in Rockford may as well be stray cats for all I can tell. They really are that bad. Not to mention so damn expensive relative to other "quality" fast food places i.e. Culver's, Steak & Shake, Portillo's and a few others there is no reason for me to go there

Sorry Larry, I never meant “contrarian” as name calling. I just thought it was funny that you could be so down on my favorite fast food place and one that, at least around here, draws a very large clientele. Please don’t take offense.

Yah, maybe best to either stick to the topic or just just let this thread die.

Seems like a pretty harmless departure from the original topic. Some of us like chik fil a and some don't. It shouldn't be a big deal. I guess you never know.

I agree, but this thread has discussed at least a half dozen non thermometer and non chick-fil-a topics already along with an exhaustive discussion on thermometers. I don't really hold to the topics very well myself, so I won't can't complain.

Seems like a pretty harmless departure from the original topic.

Nothing wrong with the topics, just that running lots of topics into a single thread runs counter to one of the tenants of a well-organized discussion forum:

"Keep your replies on-topic. If reading a message causes you to come up with an unrelated question, start a new message thread."

Or you can always take it over to the "I will just leave this here" thread which is a catch all of non-grill related or non-serious grill talk. As Chris stated, it is just good forum practice. That way if someone reads through the thread to research grilling thermometers, he doesn't have deal with all of our off the wall chit chat.

Back to thermometers. I did some nice ribeye steaks at my dad's Sunday and brought my Thermopro along as I was going to reverse sear them. Well, I over cooked them (not because of the Thermopro but because I was distracted). But the unit itself showed me perfectly and quickly accurate temps confirming what I suspected. That I had gone too far beyond rare in my first stage (more like mid well) and that was before the hard sear. Thankfully I got the Genesis well up to high speed while the steaks rested and I was able to get a nice sear with the benefit that I did not raise the steak temps as confirmed by the thermopro. They ended up between 140 to 145. Not lost causes but certainly not the mid rare I was after. The thing I liked was the readings confirmed accurately and precisely how the steaks turned out.
Perhaps take the fast food discussion into another forum where that is discussed only. But I will finish with this. I think eating establishments only rise to their lowest common denominator. Unless they're really big chains with very strict QC standards that are checked regularly. CF MAY have wonderful food in a locale where they are supervised carefully. Say in Chicago. But way out here where they're the only one of the chain within an 80 mile drive ehhhh not so much. Anyway it's all I want to discuss on it in this forum heading :D

I've never used one of the probe type thermometers where the probe stays in. What kinds of grilling do you guys use it for?

Works great on stuff like pork shoulder and brisket, but I used it on turkey over the holidays. One probe in the breast and another in the thigh.

What Jon said.
Best Wife Ever got me a lightning deal on a basic “Meater” for Christmas so, I’m going to try it on my next “Large Product” grilling projects

Back