Anybody grilling?

I gotta clean dad's grill. The grates were fine. Just my usual with get it hot, brush them with the Libman, follow with paper towel wetted pretty well with water to steam off anything else and wipe off any crusted on junk. But, I keep forgetting to pull out the grease tray and yesterday before I put food on I had a bit of a conflagration in there. I just raised the lid, kept the burners up and let it burn. If you keep the lid up you can get all the junk burned off and not wreck the fire box as the heat goes up and out not trapped inside. Once the burn went down I got it set up and threw on the food, and the smoke pellets

Haven't grilled since about mid October due to the cold, snow and ever popular winds. More rain on the way from the California storms this week. Today 44 with gusty winds up to 35mph, next three days rain and more wind. Such is life on the first day of spring.

It is comforting to hear someone from AZ complain about the weather.
Being in the mountains is part of it but this is the worst winter we've had since we moved here 21 years ago. Cold, damp and windy almost every day.

Yah, sounds like that SW US weather has been crazy for a large area of the country. Hopefully we don't hear about a lot of droughts and water rationing this summer/fall.

I've posted the cook before. This is a third of a pork loin marinated then frozen. Smoked with apple chunks along with used coal, then glazed with apricot lemon garlic cilantro.

I had a very small amount of Mac n cheese.

Easy weeknight cook.

20230322_190451.jpg
20230322_190648.jpg

I’ve been using the three (small) paper towel and bacon grease technique and am completely sold on it!
Yup. Fat and paper towels work well with fresh coal yet I have had challenges getting a consistent start when it is coal I've cooked on already.

The used coal seems to start better if I shake the basket to clear the ash and small pieces and then light the bottom over the burner.

I really like the KA basket and may get one for the WSK

Back