Anybody grilling?

Thanks Larry,
There was some extra work to do. I'm not a fan of the rawhide shoestrings on the grill tools to hang them, so I slotted the spatula and scraper handles so I could put them on the hooks without the rawhide or trying to put them on with a small hole in the handle.

Gerry
View attachment 64562
Gerry, Another cool touch for your amazing custom workmanship! Have a Happy New Year. Maybe 2023 will see a return of the Upper Midwest TVWBB Meet😎.

Florida for the rest of Winter would be great!
As a former Floridian, I can’t deny that December through late March is a very nice time to spend in Florida. I used to like to remind “snowbird” winter visitors that we worked hard all summer so they could enjoy that time. Now I endure cold Midwest winters for too many months to have a usually pleasant late spring and summer. The big difference I have found is that while a LONG summer with months of over 90 degree humid days can make you uncomfortable, it is still possible to work outside, such as rehabbing grills, even if covered with sweat😲. In Indiana, ice cold conditions pretty much just shut you down for the winter🥶.

As a former Floridian, I can’t deny that December through late March is a very nice time to spend in Florida. I used to like to remind “snowbird” winter visitors that we worked hard all summer so they could enjoy that time. Now I endure cold Midwest winters for too many months to have a usually pleasant late spring and summer. The big difference I have found is that while a LONG summer with months of over 90 degree humid days can make you uncomfortable, it is still possible to work outside, such as rehabbing grills, even if covered with sweat😲. In Indiana, ice cold conditions pretty much just shut you down for the winter🥶.
Like I tell people, you can always put on another layer, take off too much and the police knock on the door!

Did the last of the lobster tails last night, Sunday I did nearly an entire pork loin at my dad's to celebrate his birthday and that of our neighbor who my dad became friends with many years ago and are the same age. So we celebrated New Year day and their birthdays (my dad's on Dec 31, and Fred's Dec 13th). I was gonna spin that pork bad boy but due to how few electrical outlets and him not having any good extensions I simply did how you can ONLY do on a true Genesis. Front burner and rear burners on med and middle off. I also brought a couple fresh cut filet mignons for the non pork eaters. And cooked those as the pork roast was nearing completion.
BTW I think I mentioned this Seaweed salad in a bag from Costco. Well, lets just say it's really weird stuff and while not the most horrible tasting thing definitely NOT something I will ever bother with again

Like I tell people, you can always put on another layer, take off too much and the police knock on the door!
That's true, but things like metal, spray paint, and tools don't work out so well in subzero temperatures! Metal could get very hot in Florida, but I always made sure to work in the shade - still covered with sweat, though.

Living in a place where you can work outside all year long sounds like a draw back to this Northerner.

A period where I can’t do gardening, landscaping or outdoor construction projects is a welcome respite.

Grilling in sub freezing temperatures is enjoyable because it reminds me of things I did in when I used to think I was invincible.

Lol

Living in a place where you can work outside all year long sounds like a draw back to this Northerner.

A period where I can’t do gardening, landscaping or outdoor construction projects is a welcome respite.

Grilling in sub freezing temperatures is enjoyable because it reminds me of things I did in when I used to think I was invincible.

Lol
Today was a break in the rain and I was doing yard work. I guess it's better than shoveling snow. Sun came out and I had to take my sweatshirt off. Short sleeves in January?

I might grill some chicken tonight.

These guys got grilled on Friday night. Picanha is mt favorite cut of steak. I should have took more pictures as they were cooked perfect red edge to edge at 126.
IMG_20230106_164604.jpg

This got cooked tonight. Full write up here.
IMG_20230107_124120.jpg

And this just got prepping for tomorrow's night Ramen. I will smoke it as soon as I get home tomorrow. Both ramen broths where made last night.
IMG_20230108_211421.jpg
IMG_20230108_211934.jpg

The BGE gets some love!
Yeah, and the tri tip was off to a cold start.

Puts a different spin on cold smoking.

20230108_170230.jpg

Reverse sear using the drop spider lowering the meat right on the fire.

20230108_183739.jpg

20230108_185002.jpg20230108_185031.jpg

Cooks plate. Choosing to enjoy my carbs in liquid form.

20230108_185726.jpg

Yeah, and the tri tip was off to a cold start.

Puts a different spin on cold smoking.

View attachment 64988

Reverse sear using the drop spider lowering the meat right on the fire.

View attachment 64989

View attachment 64990View attachment 64991

Cooks plate. Choosing to enjoy my carbs in liquid form.

View attachment 64993

Y'know, as a BGE owner myself, I'm tempted to say, let's see a wind blow that around...but I've learned to be careful for what I ask for!

I remember the time in the motorhome coming down from the Cajon Pass when the winds were whipping...coming crosswind on the 15 Fwy and I swear that MH came up on 3-wheels (6-wheeler, 2 in the front, 4 in the rear). After I pulled over and changed my underwear, we creeped home, trying to stay inline as much as possible.

Last edited:

Back