Ancient Grains and an Ode to Jac

Bill Schultz

TVWBB Hall of Fame
So today I made small Boules to use for a soup. I am taking my bread baking in another direction the past few weeks. Using what are called Ancient Grains. These are grains that are the original grains used by man since the dawn of time and remain unchanged by him. They are much healthier to eat, very high in protein, fiber and minerals such as manganese and selenium etc. For this bake I used one of the oldest called Kumalt. It is delicious.
Then I made one of our favorites, Jac Pepins potato and leek soup. I have made some additions which I know he would love as he encourages people to make it their own.

The dough mix after sitting for four hours, used my natural levain (wild yeast starter, sourdough)

DSC_0610_zps1yaip3mt.jpg

Out of the oven

DSC_0616_zps0flpkhnh.jpg

The fixins for the soup

DSC_0614_zpsapbqknur.jpg

DSC_0615_zps46bbeejp.jpg

Diceed bacon on first to crisp, then small diced Russet potato, shrooms, leeks, after sweating on the Genny the chicken broth added, about half an hour later instant potato's added. When finished 1/4 cup half and half added. Salt and Pepper to taste. Last ten minutes some Sage sliced thin added.

DSC_0617_zpsprjmizp6.jpg

Hollowed out the Boules and put the soup in, some Chives on top

DSC_0623_zpsi25c5pht.jpg

Came out really good, with a bottle of some superb wine

DSC_0622_zps6wa8h8be.jpg

Have a great night

When are you going to open a restaurant/gourmet food truck Bill?
I would try everything on the menu, from the cooks you have posted on TVWBB.

Bill that is fantastic. You have such a way of researching stuff to make it authentic. That cook is my favorite kind of cooking. True to its origins. Really you have to separate the bread from the soup. The bread looks wonderful. I have never had this grain. And the soup is what I strive for. Authentic family meals with real ingredients made with love. Great cook! Thank you for sharing!

That looks like a great meal.

You lost me at the mushrooms. I've never liked their texture. Oddly enough, I do use cream of mushroom soup for some recipes. I mix in some water, stir and strain all the chunks out and toss them.

Bill, there are no word to express that meal.;) Fantastic, amazing, incredible and all the others I can't think of. WOW!!!

Unbelievable Bill, that had to take a lot of research. Hell I wouldn't even have thought of doing what you did with that bread. You are truly a culinary artist my friend. I always know it's going to be a wonderful treat when I see one of you threads.

Looks great. When using kumat (BTW, it's khorasan --kumat is the trademarked name and not kumalt), are you using 100% or 50-50 with unbleached white?

edit--the reason I ask is that I'm wondering that may not have the same qualities as all "white". For example, if I use 100% whole wheat (no added white), it's quite dense. Makes a much lighter loaf if white is blended in.

Last edited:
Len this is what I did, first I took my mother starter (whole wheat based and three years old now) and used 100 grams of it and started a whole new starter with the Kumalt as the flour and fed it three times over the course of a week. It was a 75% hydration starter.
Then with my final dough mixture I used 1.5 cups of the starter and calculated the water and flour in that and subtracted it from the recipe I used. Then 50% of the flour was AP Flour and 50% Kumalt. Went from there with the bake. And you are correct on the terms, I have seen it as Kumat and Kumalt. Either way it still is Khorasan and it is delicious in flavor. Slightly heavier like a whole wheat would be.
Try it you will like it.

Len this is what I did, first I took my mother starter (whole wheat based and three years old now) and used 100 grams of it and started a whole new starter with the Kumalt as the flour and fed it three times over the course of a week. It was a 75% hydration starter.
Then with my final dough mixture I used 1.5 cups of the starter and calculated the water and flour in that and subtracted it from the recipe I used. Then 50% of the flour was AP Flour and 50% Kumalt. Went from there with the bake. And you are correct on the terms, I have seen it as Kumat and Kumalt. Either way it still is Khorasan and it is delicious in flavor. Slightly heavier like a whole wheat would be.
Try it you will like it.
Thanks for the info/answers ;). The AP does make it a lighter loaf.

Back