All sorts of Shecone action going on up here...

Stuart S

TVWBB Pro
I've been doing some chicken cooks lately. I can't seem to get enough of the wings and the legs.

---------------------

Wing Fling

Started out with a modified OM-Sriracha sauce - marmalade, golden mustard, sambal olek garlic chili sauce and a bit of apple butter bbq sauce.
2014-07-15164002.jpg

Put my wings in to marinate for a spell.
2014-07-15164954.jpg

Then got them on the Performer for some indirect heat with some apple wood smoke for extra flavour.
2014-07-15190802.jpg

Baby girl came out to help me and when she saw this platter of wings her eyes lit up!
2014-07-15191851.jpg

Served with some white rice and broccoli, but by the time I thought to take a picture my fingers were sticky-icky with the wing goodness on them...and we were too busy eating them off the platter to clean up.

----------------------

Chicken Lots
A few days later my sister came over for a BBQ with my niece who is here for a vacation from NYC. She asked for chicken legs and I felt like obliging. My mom seasoned them, I know there was garlic, onions, ketchup, soy sauce, chili and salt an pepper in this marinade for sure, but I'm never really sure with her because she's old school and just throws stuff in as she finds it in the fridge/pantry.
2014-07-19174214.jpg

Would you believe I got all these chicken sticks for $20? We had around 10 people over here for dinner and I wanted to make sure we had enough. The only thing crazier than the price is that they all fit!!
2014-07-19174600.jpg

I actually enjoyed a libation while I was grilling this time, I don't drink much but this cold one was calling my name!
IMG_20140719_175440.jpg

I got the legs over some direct heat after about 45 minutes indirect. They sure picked up some nice colour.
2014-07-19184440.jpg

Served it with some homemade Tater Salad and fresh corn, but too busy enjoying to take a picture. I did snap this one of the finished mountain of legs and my niece looking at them. I'm sensing a trend in my pics of platters of food, LOL.
2014-07-19185620.jpg

It reminds of when I'd do wings for the neighborhood in Italy. I called it the steam shovel method. Load er up!

Stuart S;
I find that the "chicken trend" is happening here, too. My most recent cook was Jerked Wings. They were wonderful! I also have a GREAT fondness for Larry Wolfe's "Orange Marmalade Sriracha Sauce" chicken parts. Cook's Country plain ol' BBQ chicken (essentially the same way you cook - salt, pepper, BBQ sauce indirect then finish direct). It is perfect for those who object to a bit of heat in their chicken.

As you have so aptly illustrated, there are many FINE ways to do chicken parts but the sum total is they can be WONDERFUL eating and a bonus is they can be quite inexpensive.

Thanks for sharing with us. It's always nice to get another's take on the matter...

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

That is one good looking mess of chicken, I like the family pictures also. I'm always the last to start eating as I want to watch the expression on everyone's face as they take their first bite.

A couple of fine looking cooks and you used just about every square inch of that grill!!! I think you need to talk your Wife into letting you get a 26" Weber!

A couple of fine looking cooks and you used just about every square inch of that grill!!! I think you need to talk your Wife into letting you get a 26" Weber!

I thought about getting a 26, but they are hard to come by used for reasonable prices (I've never seen one on CL since 2011) and 2 x 22 = 48" :)

I shoulda used a second grill, but I was too lazy to fire it up...

Seeing family enjoy the fruits of your labor makes it such a pleasure. Thanks for the pictures. It looks like everyone enjoyed your cook.

Back