Advice needed: Ribs using 22 Inch kettle plus charcoal baskets

tjkoko

TVWBB All-Star
I'm experienced using the WSM but not the 22 inch Kettle and so here goes. I would like to cook a rack or two of pork ribs in the kettle using the charcoal baskets, at a temperature of about 300-325F so they're done in about 90 minutes (or maybe in a bit more time). What would be the method of using the charcoal baskets: all charcoals fully or partially lit. I get the feeling that the vents will be at least half closed. I am totally cornfused and in the dark here.

Or should I simply skip the baskets and instead spread out unlit briquettes on one side of the kettle topped with approx 30 lit briquettes as shown here ?????

Last edited:
I've tried using a Weber kettle for moderate temperature smoking and found it difficult to keep the temps down using the WSM method of controlling air flow. The "fins" on my kettle are designed for pushing ash toward the openings, not for giving good control over air flow. I found it frustrating trying to control temps with just the vents on the kettle.

If I'm doing lower temps on the kettle these days I try to control it more with the amount of fuel than with air flow. I smoked some Canadian bacon on the kettle a few weeks ago using a snake of briquettes. I did a single shingled line of briquettes around the perimeter of the kettle, eventually lighting two briquettes to get it going. Temps didn't get as high as I wanted, topping out just a bit above 200F, so I'd suggest either a double row of briquettes or setting lit briquettes at both ends of the snake.

As far as I'm aware the kettle was never designed for L&S. But clever folk found a way to do so, e.g. via the snake method, with fantastic results. (Check TVWBBs Enrico Brandizzi's cooks here ).
The bloke at Tip Top Temp also came up with an ingenious, low-cost gizmo to turn the kettle into a smoker without the need for constant vent fiddleing.
If you're not using any gizmos I think you'll have to experiment to get experience as to how much fuel to use, and vent settings to get it dialled in to your preferred temp.
JayH makes some valid points above.

@JayHeyl and @TonyUK I 'm uncertain if there's a misunderstanding with my OP. I appreciate both your comments but my original post stated temperatures around 300-325F which imho isn't low and slow that I take to mean 200-250F.

Ah. Then I think you'll have to experiment with the amount of lit fuel. Basket would be a good choice. Be mindful of where you position the lid temp gauge, (disregard that if you're using a temp probe or some such).
Good luck.

Half baskets might be about right, get them lit and close the bottom vents way back to just a slit. That should do it, I would still leave top vent fully open.
I have used the “Tip Top” unit which TonyUK mentions, and it is surprising in both simplicity and effectiveness. Since I got my WSM I have not used it but, it’s really clever. Takes a few minutes to figure out how the thing needs to be set but, once you get it dialed in, it works very well.
Have you used yours yet Tony?

Timothy was having the same thought I was having, Jim Lampe and a few others of our veteran Leaders do high heat BB ribs in the kettle. Here are three of those post that I used to guide me when I do High Heat BB ribs.

Grilled Baby Back Ribs

Yep, GRILLED. we were in Wautoma last Sunday, planning on being home in time to smoke a FAST rack of baby backs... but we arrived 90 minutes later than I expected. so, I decided to GRILL my ribs used a FULL Weber charcoal chimney of new Kingsford tossed that once lit to one side of the Weber...
tvwbb.com
tvwbb.com

Loin Back ribs.....Lampe Style

Well, since we scored in the meat department today, I figured the best way to reward myself was to cook up some ribs.......but it was already 3p! No problem, HH Loin Backs a la Lampe will be perfect! I lit up some leftover charcoal in the 26'er, and dumped a chimney of unlit on top of that...
tvwbb.com
tvwbb.com

Jim's Hot and Fast Grilled BBs using Chef's Select

Mr Lampe's method works great in all weather, but was extra nice yesterday with the temp in the 30's, windy, and spitting snow. The short slab would have fit well on my 14" WSM, but it still had ashes in it from the last cook and old Bob didn't want to be outside any longer than needed. Jim...
tvwbb.com
tvwbb.com

Half baskets might be about right, get them lit and close the bottom vents way back to just a slit. That should do it, I would still leave top vent fully open.
I have used the “Tip Top” unit which TonyUK mentions, and it is surprising in both simplicity and effectiveness. Since I got my WSM I have not used it but, it’s really clever. Takes a few minutes to figure out how the thing needs to be set but, once you get it dialed in, it works very well.
Have you used yours yet Tony?
@Timothy F. Lewis By the term "half baskets" do you mean both baskets filled or halfway filled with lit briquettes???? It's confusing. 8))

I’ll use my kettle for ribs and it does a decent smoke (I keep it at 250-275). I only used one basket and keep 8-10 coals in it at a time. More work than the WSM for sure, have to add more briquettes every 90 minutes.

Attachments

• 61E7DD38-54EC-455F-B559-8241EB47210C.jpeg
    61E7DD38-54EC-455F-B559-8241EB47210C.jpeg
    259.3 KB · Views: 7
That's what I use for 300-325. Works like a charm.
Jim Lampe does HH loin ribs on his kettle. Maybe he'll drive by and chime in.
I agree full baskets give me 400-450, so if I use half or there abouts is around 325 - 360. Great for baby backs, high for spare ribs.

I use 1 basket and minion it starting with 4 to 6 lit coals. Can get low temps for 2 hours plus. I use a couple of smaller wood chunks for smoke. Chips in a foil pouch works too.

Been using Jim's high heat method for St Louise spares and BBs for a couple of years now on my performer with excellent results.

Jim Lampe’s High Heat Baby Back Ribs

Baby back ribs seasoned with Oakridge BBQ Santa Maria Rub
One large Weber charcoal chimney filled with Kingsford regular briquettes
Once all lit, it was dumped to one side of the Performer’s bowl
Foil to catch pork drippings on the other side
One Cajun Bandit Stainless Extension added.
One large split of Applewood for smoke atop the KBB
The dome temp read 390ºF the entire cook
after 60 minutes, i did wrap the ribs in foil and returned them to the grill
After another 30 to 40 minutes later and a short 10 minutes rest.... they were sliced

I agree full baskets give me 400-450, so if I use half or there abouts is around 325 - 360. Great for baby backs, high for spare ribs.
This method sounds like the best match for me and perhaps a tiny bit less than half would work. Tomorrow THIS is it.

@JayHeyl and @TonyUK I 'm uncertain if there's a misunderstanding with my OP. I appreciate both your comments but my original post stated temperatures around 300-325F which imho isn't low and slow that I take to mean 200-250F.
Considering I hit 200F with about four or five briquettes burning at a time, and temperatures well over 400F are readily attainable without huge charcoal loads, I still consider 300F a moderate temperature you may have trouble maintaining by air flow control alone. That's why I suggested a method of controlling the amount of fuel burning rather than using air flow to try to control the burn rate of the entire fuel load.

@Tye R. and @Mark Foreman both suggested variations that accomplish something similar, Tye using just a small number of briquettes at a time and Mark using the Minion method that starts with just a few lit briquettes that slowly light the rest of the fuel load. Tye's method will require more closely monitoring and replenishing the fuel while the Minion method and the snake method I suggested both start with a full load of fuel that's slowly ignited as the cook continues. The snake method is less likely to run away since contact between briquettes is limited, though you do need to have a good idea up front how many briquettes you'll need burning at one time to maintain your target temp since adding fuel to the burning portion of the snake can be problematic.

I've used the snake method in the WSM as well to do a very low temp start followed by an increase in temp part way through the cook. I started the snake with a single row of briquettes that lead into two double rows. It worked perfectly. I got 175F for the first hour or so, shifting to 275F for the remainder of the cook.

If the charcoal is burning with adequate available oxygen, you need surprisingly few briquettes burning at a time to maintain reasonable cooking temperatures in the grill/smoker.

I’ll use my kettle for ribs and it does a decent smoke (I keep it at 250-275). I only used one basket and keep 8-10 coals in it at a time. More work than the WSM for sure, have to add more briquettes every 90 minutes.
@Tye R. And your vents are opened how much????

Back