Jim's Hot and Fast Grilled BBs using Chef's Select

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
Mr Lampe's method works great in all weather, but was extra nice yesterday with the temp in the 30's, windy, and spitting snow. The short slab would have fit well on my 14" WSM, but it still had ashes in it from the last cook and old Bob didn't want to be outside any longer than needed.

Jim uses a 26" kettle with a full (large size) chimney of charcoal. Mine's a 22" so I use a 3/4 full chimney.
The charcoal came from Amazon, $31.95 for a 40 lb. bag. It arrived ok except for one little tear.

1612183995011.png

Lit:

1612184039585.png

Slab with a mix of Oakridge rubs:

1612184124275.png

Total cook time 1 hour 40 minutes. Sauced with Sweet Baby Ray sauce.

1612184244543.png

The coals at the end of the cook, not much left:

1612184372894.png

They were served with corn and a baker.

1612184490468.png

They were excellent, bite off the bone tender.
As far as the Royal Oak Chef's Select.
It did it's job well, seemed to burn out fast, no off odors. How ashy it was is yet to be determined with char-baskets or in the WSM.
Member Michael Richards has been giving good reviews about the CS charcoal. It's sure not the same as I got a few years back which was larger and no grooves, much like the Weber stuff.

A little update on my health. I'm hanging in there like a tick. :)
No really bad side effects from the miracle drug. Gaining back some of the 40 lbs. I had lost. It seem to be settling around my waist...........that figures :(

Attachments

• 1612184326578.png
    1612184326578.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
Nice cook. Thanks for the review, seems like Weber spoiled everyone with their great charcoal. I have one bag I got almost a year ago and haven't tried it yet because of our summer fire restrictions, so I don't know what I'm missing yet.
I'm glad to here you're doing well, that's truly good news which in todays world is few and far between. I'm also glad to hear that old Bob is the same as old Rich about being out in the cold for any length of time.;)

Ribs look spectacular, Bob.

Glad to hear you're not having any side effects. Here's to your good health! 🍻

Man, those look good, Bob! First baby backs I ever cooked over charcoal were hot and fast (only I didn't know to call it that at the time.....). Then I went down the low/slow rabbit hole, and it took me 15 years (and Jim's post) to get back to it. It's my preferred method for BB's now, regardless of the weather (it's a bone chilling 50F and sunny here.....) :)

Glad the meds are working, without nasty side effects! In this case, putting on a bit of weight sounds very good! Keep it up!

R

Bob,
Those ribs look great, I have yet to do hot and fast BB's, they have been on my to due list for almost a year now, I got to get around to doing them. I hope my praise of the charcoal does lead you astray. I used Weber twice this week, man do I love that charcoal... but you know.
More importantly I am extremely glad to hear the good new about the health, keep adding that healthy weight!!!

Great news Bob! Made my day. Now if you guys could just get your vaccine. We're pretty much in the same boat here. This county seems to be on the short end of the supply chain. Maybe this week. Oh yeah....... ribs look terrific. No surprise there.

Like the looks of the hot n fast saucy ribs!

I pretty much dont stray from KBB anymore. Its about all we can find consistently since the pandemic took hold. It provides consistent results and burn times.

Those look terrific Bob, going to have to try that. What temp were they at for the cook?

And more importantly, VERY glad to hear you’re doing well. Great to hear and keep using BBQ to gain back that weight!!!

Bob great looking ribs and reveiw of the coal. The sliced photos looks as you said bite off the bone.
So glad to hear you doing well and bouncing back,keep those spirits high.
I just got relaed from the Prescott VA covid ward after a 5 day stay, fantastic staff,and even better treatments, I can not say enough good things about my efficient, clean, informative.

A little update on my health. I'm hanging in there like a tick. :)
No really bad side effects from the miracle drug. Gaining back some of the 40 lbs. I had lost. It seem to be settling around my waist...........that figures :(
Ribs look EXCELLENT Mr. Correll!! And LOE love love to hear about your improving health and strong taste for BBQ!!

What temp were they at for the cook?
usually checks in around the 375-425ºF range...

Back