A New "Spin" on Pork Butt.

S.Six

TVWBB All-Star
For this i did something that I thought I'd never do...bone out a pork butt and cut it in half! Butt, I figured a smaller but would take a little less time and that was what i needed. So here it is tied up.

Rubbed down with some Bad Byron's Butt Rub.

Now here's the fun part (for me anyways, I've never seen anyone do this before). On the spit it goes. With some Hickory wood for smoke.

After about 2hrs it got to 155-160°it, so time to foil it.
Another hour in the foil. Got to around 195°it. Pulled off the foil and let it go for around 15min while the tater tots were finishing in the oven.

Pulled for some PP sliders.

So to sum up a rotisserie pork butt works! It was a little tuff to pull, not as tender as you would like for pulled pork, but it was very tender to eat and very moist too. Flavor was definitely there. All in all a great experience and fun trying an old classic a new way.
Thanks for looking, see you next cook!

Very innovative cook, looks like you got yourself a winner. Cutting the cook time down to 3+ hours is less than half of a regular pork butt cook!

I am with Alan F. Next time pull at 203-205 internal temp and it may pull a bit better. Awesome cook. I need to get a rotisserie!

I am with Alan F. Next time pull at 203-205 internal temp and it may pull a bit better. Awesome cook. I need to get a rotisserie!
Right, don't get me wrong though. Although it was a little tuff to pull, it was very tender to eat. Also as i was temping it, it felt prob tender. That's why I pulled it when it did.

Wow that looks pretty good. I have thought about doing this before but my Weber rotisserie ring does not fit well enough on my 22.5 OTG to allow me enough control of the smoking temp. What smoking temp did you run at? Please advise...

Regards,

John

Wow that looks pretty good. I have thought about doing this before but my Weber rotisserie ring does not fit well enough on my 22.5 OTG to allow me enough control of the smoking temp. What smoking temp did you run at? Please advise...

Regards,

John
I have the weber rotisserie ring too and they just didn't make that thing fit like it should. So there's always a ton of air flow around the ring, but it still works good for me. I always just go off of the thermometer on the lid. I shoot for around 350°+or-.

Great idea S.Six ... now the flood gates are open to use the spinner for pork butt and beyond.

Last edited:
I did one back in 2012 but took the easy way out - I bought a boneless pork butt instead of deboning one myself (I posted pics back then but my Flickr account got changed). I remember it turned out very good and tender. Thanks for posting this S.Six - I need to do one this way again!

EDIT: reloaded a few pictures from back then to Flickr - https://www.flickr.com/photos/madwillis/sets/72157649861384664/

Last edited:

Back