A little BBQ humor

Joan

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Just found this in an old cookbook I have.

"In North America barbecuing was already a big deal in the 1700's. In the southern part of the U.S. it became a standard type of outdoor social event, particularly favored by politicians and almost mandatory on the Fourth of July. In order to get more votes, Southern politicians would hold an Independence Day Barbecue: all the beef you could eat, lots of drinks, a marching band and an agonizingly boring speech. Thanks to the development of television, the political speeches are being sent to us on TV, and you can turn them off. Most barbecues are now boredom-free, but still filled with good eating"

Source: "What's Cooking" Burt Wolf - 1989

BBQs may be heading to extinction.

Enjoy them while you can anyway you can - take lots of pictures for the memories.

Enjoy them while you can anyway you can - take lots of pictures for the memories.
I certainly hope not!
I expect that the next generation will have the sense to see the grill as a wonderful place for gatherings. But, then again, cooking requires looking at the food, not one’s phone. Well, if my grills die with me, they die with me and will have rendered years of excellent service.

Banning burning anything is on the radar of some climate change fanatics, to eliminate production of as many greenhouse gases as possible. Gas appliances are already banned in parts of CA and NY.

I fear saying the words would be a spell of invocation to the followers of ESG....

{looks warily left....right....and in a whisper} Carbon Footprint

{quickly ducks back to the internet}

I think Erik is on to somet

I think Erik is on to something but not why others have commented. I have two grown children. They love Door Dash, Uber Eats, etc. Cook something on a stove, perhaps. Wait for charcoal to come up to temp, then coddle a brisket for 12 - 14 hours, I think not. I'll let the "old man" do it, visit for the weekend, drink some beer and go home. Good news kids, I love to do it.

I think Erik is on to somet

I think Erik is on to something but not why others have commented. I have two grown children. They love Door Dash, Uber Eats, etc. Cook something on a stove, perhaps. Wait for charcoal to come up to temp, then coddle a brisket for 12 - 14 hours, I think not. I'll let the "old man" do it, visit for the weekend, drink some beer and go home. Good news kids, I love to do it.
Every family is different.

Both my boys know how to cook and grill.

Well when they take your AC, Gas stoves etc. BBQ will be the new cooking surface of choice. It served the settlers very well.
Most things stated about climate are way over stated, and with a large amount of false hood in them.
IMHO.

Back