76¢ steaks using the new Royal Oak All Natural

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
First the cook, charcoal report down page.
I scored some short dated meat at Save-A-Lot.
Besides these 99¢ per lb. chuck eyes, I also got some 97/3 ground beef for the same price per lb.. Original price for the steaks was $4.91.

Fired up one basket of the new RO.

It was just me for dinner, the steaks and lettuce were excellent, and Brooke loved the bits of fat.

Thanks to Rusty for bringing the new RO to our attention.
After some digging I found that this new stuff is the same as their Chef's Select in a smaller size briquette.

Stubbs left, Royal Oak All Natural center, and Kingsford with hickory right.

The bag:

Light up using gas assist was faster than Stubb's or Weber, due to the grooves I suppose, but of course not nearly as fast as Kingsford regular.
Smoke was a moderate blue during start up, and the smell was woodsy, and pleasant if you weren't too close.
Tiny sparks shot up if if you moved the lit briqs around.

Heat was pretty high and cooked the steaks in short order.
I left the vents open, didn't time anything, but they were putting out good heat for a fairly long time.
Can't comment on ash output yet, they had fallen through the basket when I checked this morning.

Bottom line, I'm liking it a lot, but more usage is needed.
At $8 for 16 lbs. I feel it's a better buy than Stubb's or Weber.
It seems to be only available at Walmart at this time.
Thanks for viewing!

Last edited:
That's a seriously great looking plate at regular price, Bob, but $.76?!?!? I never find deals that good in the "gotta sell it" bin! Nice job.....and those briqs look interesting. Will have to see if I can source some locally.

R

Thanks for the report Bob. After what you said I'm going to Walmart today for some other things , I'll see if I can find a bag or two and store away with my other not to be used in the near future supply.
Super deal on the protein, I troll the dog food section of the meat departments all the time and get some super good deals.

Nice score on those steaks Bob. I'd say you and Brooke got your money's worth. Nice balance there with the lettuce. Thanks for the rundown on the new RO. I'll keep an eye out for it.

Really like those steaks. They look spot on. Lettuce w/ cheese looks good, too.

Appreciate the charcoal report. Found some RO hardwood briquettes at Lowes.
$6/15.4 lb. Different packaging, though. Wonder if it's the same stuff.
Performed similar to the charcoal you just used, although I don't think it burns particularly hot.
Cooked and seared a tri-tip nicely but took forever to grill fresh corn.

Thanks to the esteemed mr Dahl, I have begun trolling the “Dog Food” areas and hit racks of lamb at a much more pleasant cost, nothing quite like your paydirt Bob but, pretty good deals. One of these days, I will hit it, same day a win a half billion dollar lotto!
Dreaming is what it’s all about.
I like the grilled cheesy romaine, anything much else on that?

Thanks everyone!

Just garlic olive oil and a light sprinkle of sea salt.
Grilled cut side down for a bit, flipped over and sprinkled with parm.

That was just about what I was thinking, romaine is on a super sale this week, I have a feast to to on Wednesday, that might be an interesting side!
Thanks

Hey Bob,
Just so you know you rocked those high dollar rib eyes. They looked spot on to me. Nice post.

Went to wally world today and snagged the last two bags of Royal Oak All Natural that they had, maybe by September I'll get to try it. Another great day in the high country
Temp is 97 winds at 40-45 mph and humidity 7% Fire danger... Nah

Light up using gas assist was faster than Stubb's or Weber, due to the grooves I suppose, but of course not nearly as fast as Kingsford regular.
Smoke was a moderate blue during start up, and the smell was woodsy, and pleasant if you weren't too close.
Tiny sparks shot up if if you moved the lit briqs around.

Heat was pretty high and cooked the steaks in short order.
I left the vents open, didn't time anything, but they were putting out good heat for a fairly long time.
Can't comment on ash output yet, they had fallen through the basket when I checked this morning.

Bottom line, I'm liking it a lot, but more usage is needed.
At $8 for 16 lbs. I feel it's a better buy than Stubb's or Weber.
It seems to be only available at Walmart at this time.
Thanks for viewing!

Ash content is low from my experiences (mainly in the 14" WSM).

Great write-up, Bob. I, too, noticed the pronounced heat output when I first tried it in a kettle grill, and I remember the sparking too.

Two weeks ago, I smoked a Cades Cove shank ham, face down, on the lower rack of the WSM (without the water / drip pan) with a big chunk of apple wood, with this charcoal, and I cooked the ham to almost pulled pork consistency. At first, I thought I had ruined the meat, but everyone 'bout killed themselves eating it. And don't even ask me how good the ham, grits, and gravy were the next morning. :cool:

EDIT: Forgot to mention I picked up another bag today. I now have four bags on hand. I hope it sells well. If it goes on clearance, I will buy every bag.

Last edited:
Dinner looks great Bob! Were these Chuck Eyes better than the last ones you posted? Seems to me you were not happy because there was gristle in them. Chuck Eyes are our favorite cut, a lot of that because they're priced right, but never have I got a price like you got. Congrats!

The only way to beat steak and salad is to get it for $0.76! Cooked to perfection as well! I like Royal Oak charcoal so I'll have to give this one a try.

Nice looking cook, Bob. Will have to try the RO, I like their other products.

Back