304 Stainless Steel Charcoal Baskets Heavy Duty Premium

Can you do that mod to these to connect them into 1 bigger SnS-style basket? If so, does anyone know where I could get a pair of them? I'm not sure I trust the 1 newly launched seller on Amazon that has them for $54.

You're talking about the Bro' N Sear project where the guy breaks open the left end of one Weber basket and the right end of the other, nests them together at 19" wide, and screws them together to make a DIY Slow N Sear? I don't see why you couldn't do it, it will just be more work because this stainless material is thicker.

As for buying them, the Amazon link is the only source I know of. I'm not really sure what the status is anymore. As noted in the original post, they were produced by TVWB member David Somerville, made to his specs in China, and sold on Amazon. He also made s/s cooking grates for a while. I know he had real challenges with overseas production and with Amazon as a sales channel. I'm with you re: trust of the current seller at $54...maybe not David anymore?

I’ve been on a mountain top in Alabama for a week and had no internet access, I’ve not seen the “Bro N Sear” hack. Not sure I give a hoot about it but, I’ll look for that.
I have enjoyed my baskets and (I’m sorry to admit) really need to give them a good cleaning after three years.
They are just so superior to the Weber “stock” ones there is virtually no comparison.
I’ve tried so many “hacks” and alternative set up configurations with limited success, I have decided that, for the most part, the original setup from my Dad’s (1972(?)) paper cookbook still work better than most “Improved” set ups.
I will admit I’ve NOT used a “Slow and Sear” but, I might borrow one from a buddy and give it a test drive.

I will provide more details in the next few days, but I would NOT BUY THESE BASKETS. I ordered them for $37 via the original link and they were super magnetic meaning they weren't 304 Stainless Steel. Not only that, but I discovered that they were actually baskets sold by another company on Amazon for $20. The seller was La Baux, but given the limited amount of ratings the other sellers have I wouldn't be surprised if the other sellers do something similar.

I thought there were occasions where they were 304 or not depending on the run. I think I have the 304 ones. I've never used them because my original weber ones won't die.

I am a Slow-N-Sear fan. Got one on the cheap with a used kettle I bought.

I also recently picked up two sets of Weber baskets for only $9.99 a set on clearance at Lowes, thanks to a tip I picked up here on the Buy Sell Trade section. I got the last two remaining at my store.

Real stainless in heavier gauge would definitely be much better, but for only ten bucks a set, I think the Weber OEM are at least worth that. I hope a new source for real stainless baskets at a realistic price can be found.

So here is the full story regarding my purchase using the link in the main page.

I went ahead and added these grill baskets to my Amazon list, but at over $50 I had a hard time justifying the purchase. Well last Friday I saw that they were on sale for $37 and figured why not. So I purchased two sets and figured I would have them in a week or so. Then oddly enough they turned up on my doorstep Saturday. I thought this was weird because La Baux (the seller) was not a Prime seller and almost every non Prime seller uses slower shipping. I look at the box and it is from BBQ Funland instead of La Baux. So now I am getting suspicious and open up my package. The baskets looks solid and all, but I can't resist grabbing my magnet to see if it holds a charge. Unfortunately the material was very magnetic and therefore NOT 304 SS. It may have still have been 400 grade or higher SS, but I wasn't going to pay what I did for anything less. Then I see a package label that says "WG403" and I decide to do an Amazon search and find this:

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B01CHJM54A/tvwb-20

I discover that this isn't a simple mix up were the manufacturer sent the baskets in the wrong grade of SS, but the seller was straight up scamming. Advertising their baskets as 304 SS, then buying them at BBQ Funland, and having BBQ Funland ship them out using their Prime shipping. All while pocketing $17 on each order for a few mouse clicks. I furiously requested a refund from both the seller and Amazon in the event that the seller didn't follow through. Fortunately, I had my money returned, but I am still angry that the listing remains for some other poor sucker to get took. I can't say for certain that the same would happen with another seller, but I really wouldn't doubt it if it did. At some point maybe the baskets that BBQ Funland were selling was 304 SS and the secondary listing has never been updated, but the mark up between the two is still shady when it isn't advertised as the same product. I think I might look at another product or look at fabricating my own out of 304 SS in the future.

Really a shame I had the ones from David for 30 bucks got them for a fathers day gift years ago they were worth every penny and great quality.

Yes, I’m glad I was gifted mine back when they were the real deal too!
So he’s simply stopped sales completely? That’s really sad, I’d be happy to buy direct from him if he’s is still selling them!

Last edited:
What a travesty. Amazon should be held accountable for this bait and switch maneuver that makes a great guy look bad and all because of Amazon’s corporate policy. Sounds like greed and indifference to me!

Chris,
Thanks for getting to the bottom of this story and letting us all know.

Yah, it sucks that it has come to this point. Maybe we can leave feedback on Amazon to give a heads up to people, who are interested in purchasing this product, that the ones for sell right now are not the real deal.

At the moment I do not believe there are any genuine 304 SS baskets available on the market. If anyone finds some please share. Even the Slow n Sear has switched to a 430 SS no weld style charcoal basket. I believe Slow n Sear drip tray and grates may still be 304 SS. I might look into making my own template to make some baskets or just be satisfied with something that is 400+ grade or higher SS. If I come up with a good solution for a DIY I will share it, but I kind of doubt it will be cost effective for a 22.5" grill. I would have no interest in selling them though. I would just give a photo tutorial. I had already planned on doing a SS charcoal ring project for my Ranch but only because there are absolutely no options at all for baskets.

Last edited:
I know at least one person that has the only fire and they said they like them. The round shape would definitely let them sit in the kettle better. They might be 400 grade or higher SS, but I can't say for sure.

The other set with the sweeps is a total unknown. In the questions section they say it is SS 201 and I am not sure if the sweeps are SS or not. Not a bad price if the sweeps are SS. I know at one point Weber had a SS part number for sweeps, but I can't remember the part number or what grade the SS was. I know for certain it wasn't 304, but they hold up better than the standard sweeps.

The price for the set is good, no matter the grade, excellent for a quick refurbish.
Now, let me also state that I am still using the original sweeps in my overperformer! Just saying, use them every time, clean judiciously, and eat well!

Timothy,

Yes I agree. I had a set that lasted me for many years because I tried to be very faithful to clean the inside of my kettle. When people store their kettle for months covered inside with ash and grease - that all accumulates moisture - they shouldn't be surprised that the sweep jams up and breaks. I do also think the older ones were made of better material then what you get now.

Back