26" or 22" Kettle

Eric_B

TVWBB Member
I'm finally going to pull the trigger and buy a Kettle. I already have a 18" WSM and a Genesis E-330. I'm looking at either the 22" Premium Kettle or the 26" Premium Kettle. I mainly just cook for 2, but I'm almost always using the Weber vegetable basket which takes up a lot of space.

For those who have a 22" Kettle, do you find yourself wishing you had more space?

I have two 22" (vintage) kettles and one 26" in addition to a bunch of other BBQ's / Smokers. My 26" would be the last BBQ I'd part with, if ever I had to part with any

I have two 22 performers and there is just two of us 99% of the time, but there are times I have to admit a little more room would make a world of difference especially when doing indirect. A 26 sounds like the way to go.
If Weber ever makes a 26 performer I'll be getting that.

I'd go large and get the 26" I have the 22.5" and there are times where I could use the extra space.

Tim

Yes, get the 26er. I absolutely love my 22, but I had to buy a cheap 4 burner gasser for those times when there is more than us. If I had the money, I'd get a 26.

I'm with Chuck on this one. I have a pile of kettles and WSM including a performer and master touch both of which are 22s. They are not big enough most the time for two. I would never part with my 26. Get the 26er you won't regret it;)

I've cooked for large parties with the 22. It's plenty big and the 26 is a monster. I wouldn't bother unless you are feeding 10+ people with regularity.

Go, big!!
I have an combined set up with an 18 and 22 which is usually more than enough but, if I had to do it all over again, I'd love the extra space of the 26! You can contain a small fire in a big space but, the converse does not work out so well.
If you have the space in your grilling area, don't think about it anymore, just get the 26 and do not look back!
I have cooked for very large parties on a 22 and been greeted with huge compliments but, it has taken lots of practice and there have been some failures which could have been easily avoided with just a little more space.
The biggest caveat I can see would the need for a storage shed for charcoal, I don't like to use my wife's Jeep for that all summer. Winter no problem but, she likes to get things at garden places and, I get tired of the cleanup in my sedan!

Last edited:
Go big first, you'll never regret getting the 26. You'll never find yourself saying "gosh, I wish I had a little less room on my grill." I use it as my main cooker all the time, and we're mostly cooking for 2-3 during the week.

If you ever find yourself needing more space than a 26 can offer, you can always pick up a cheap 22 on CL as a backup cooker.

Great thread as I am in the same boat looking to purchase. I love the look and setup of the Performers but indirect cooking takes space. The 26 would be a perfect size. My eyes are on the Slow N Sear for it as well.

Here's my thought. Get the 26". If you find you have too much space (unlikely) and would prefer the 22", you can probably sell it for around $200 and then use that money to buy a CL performer or a new 22" kettle.

A bigger grill is kind of like a bigger refrigerator. You may not always need to fill it to the point where the door won't close but, if it's not big enough, something will go to waste!

Great thread as I am in the same boat looking to purchase. I love the look and setup of the Performers but indirect cooking takes space. The 26 would be a perfect size. My eyes are on the Slow N Sear for it as well.

The new XL size is made for the 26. Its pretty sweet.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I ended up asking for the 26" for my upcoming birthday. I should get it within the next week.

I'll let you know what I think about the 26" after I get it. I'm hoping to get next week.

and pretty darn expensive at $145 "on sale"
Personally, I don't see the need.

Some guys like fine bourbon at $1500 a bottle. I shoot with guys who enjoy showing off their $10k italian shotguns. GMC has a $20k lift kit package you can get for one of their $90k Denali trucks.

There are plenty of things out there that we can debate about "need."

If it isn't your cup of tea, that doesn't mean it isn't worth the money to some people.

Back