2018 Done, 2019 Getting Started

Dave, nice score on the stainless sidewinder with side burner...that one should sell quick after fixing it up and making it all nice and shiny. Shoot, even the grates look all nice and clean!

Dave, you had a great run there. Keep it up man.

Gotta make hay while the sun shines.
Speaking of sunshine, the weather is finally starting to cooperate here
and folks are chomping at the bit to get their hands on some grills and smokers.
I have depleted a good chunk of the grills I had been working on over the winter.
In the last three days, I have parted with 2 WSM's, 4 Stainless steel Performers,
1 kettle, and 1 E310.

Unfortunately, my Silver C has not gotten a single response yet. :(

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/hsh/d/excelsior-springs-weber-genesis-silver/6838212587.html

That sounds like some really good selling to me. If my wife saw that many grills going OUT (with money coming in, of course:eek:) I might hear less barbed comments about my grill hobby.

If you don’t mind sharing, what is the market for stainless Performers in your area. I only have one but it needs parts and I am not sure what it would be worth restored.

Jon, the market here is strong for cheap ones but, no one really wants to pay much
even if they are in great shape. I have repeatedly watched the ones with a tank
and igniter that works sit forever unsold at $175 unless they were red or blue.
I had 1 black, and 3 green. All four were basically scrap heap pieces when I got
them back in the fall. All needed cross members, which I replaced with 1 inch tubing,
and star inserts. I had to add sweeps to a couple. All ranged from free to $20.
One had a tree limb fall on the lid, and I had to beat out the dent with a rubber
mallet, then repair with hi-temp green. Only 2 had tanks, which are out of date
and I was not going to invest the $25 per tank that it costs here to recertify.
One was also missing the charcoal holder. None had working igniters either, and
I sold them without replacing.

ZkPeXF6l.jpg

QuDQb0tl.jpg

8MkUQ6Fl.jpg

vRFqPttl.jpg

These were all too good to scrap, but nothing close to collector quality.
Cookers, not lookers. I basically pieced together the worst out of the worst
parts, the best out of the best, and made do with the other two the best I
could. Sold the worst for $60, the best for $125. Everyone was happy,
and I may sell a gasser or two off of the referrals.

Dave,

That's really interesting. Thank you for sharing. I have a blue SSP, and even and extra blue bowl, but I am not sure any of the parts are good enough to call "nice." Definitely agree with you about the 5lb tanks. To get a new one of those costs about what you sold your "worst" SPP for:confused:. I think I will just update the connector and tell people to hook up a 20lb tank that are practically give-aways around here.

I think it is funny that the black ones are the orphan stepchild:(. I personally feel that these SS Performers far and away look the best in black (red a close second). I actually had originally picked up my SSP for yet another addition to my bulging collection. I was going to try and replace the bad blue bowl/lid with a better black set. However, while VERY nice to me, these things are big and I just have to pare down:eek:. I would rather keep the Platinum One-Touch with the oval thermoset tables. So now I am just thinking about my best exit plan. Sounds like trying to keep it blue would help it sell more readily..

It took about a month to find the right buyer, but I finally sold this one today.

27rIzTNl.jpg

$275 with a full tank. Not bad for around here.
The whole key to these is my market just seems to be
in finding that right person that actually knows the quality
of these grills. The typical used grill buyer here is done
talking if they ask how old it is and you tell them its
15 or 20 years old.

Patience is a virtue...especially when you are the seller! Congrats on that one, Dave. He got a good deal on a sharp grill. $275 wouldn't have bought him anything new at the big box stores but a ready-to-rust-through special.

It took about a month to find the right buyer, but I finally sold this one today.

27rIzTNl.jpg

$275 with a full tank. Not bad for around here.
The whole key to these is my market just seems to be
in finding that right person that actually knows the quality
of these grills. The typical used grill buyer here is done
talking if they ask how old it is and you tell them its
15 or 20 years old.

Nice. I wish I still could get these prices in my area. I still have a Silver C I need to sell. And that grill has a brand new fire box and brand new black lid. But with all the cheap new ones it is hard so sell if you get get a brand new 3 burner Genesis with side burner for about 2 twice that price, more bling and 10 years warranty. Plus the demand for grills with side burner is low. Most of my my buyers did not want one. And you point out you have to find a buyer which still knows these older Weber grills and their quality. And these buyers are getting rare.

Yeah, Dave that price was great. But I think we all know it is also fair. I'm happy I haven't gotten sucked into flipping. I would lose money on every grill!

I didn't bother to take down that ad yesterday, as I had only had
a couple people show any interest at all.

Today, I have had 3 inquiries about it. Now I guess I need to scramble to
try and get one of the others ready.

My whole offseason plan didn't go exactly as planned. I set out, wanting to
have about 20-30 grills ready to go for right now as spring fever is hitting.
However, I just kept posting and selling them as soon as I could get them ready,
and with only a couple of exceptions, that has worked. 27 Webers of various
types sold so far this year, with 2 more on the hook for tomorrow, and maybe
another 3 that will be ready by months end. No complaints here, other than
I just don't have time to crank them out any faster than I am.
I currently have 24 other rehabbers in waiting, but I would imagine 5 will end
up being donors, and about 10 are all older Gennies, that will need complete
resto's. Only a few quick flips left in the bunch.

I am glad I posted and sold as I did, because simply displaying, taking pics,
and posting is a major chore in itself. It is also taxing on your time trying to
keep track and respond to more than 2 or 3 ads at once also.

However, I just kept posting and selling them as soon as I could get them ready

A problem I wish I could have. Sadly many folks do not see the value in buying a machine that has been carefully rebuilt, trouble points modified to not be trouble points again and full as new warranty at half the price as new. But often enough to keep me encouraged they do see it and pop on them. When they do they're very happy.

Nice. I wish I still could get these prices in my area. I still have a Silver C I need to sell. And that grill has a brand new fire box and brand new black lid. But with all the cheap new ones it is hard so sell if you get get a brand new 3 burner Genesis with side burner for about 2 twice that price, more bling and 10 years warranty. Plus the demand for grills with side burner is low. Most of my my buyers did not want one. And you point out you have to find a buyer which still knows these older Weber grills and their quality. And these buyers are getting rare.

Hey Stefan, I'm shopping for a weber right now - do you have details on the one you are trying to sell?

I finished up 3 Q's this week. I sold a 2200 in red to a guy I work with,
and never even took pics of it. I had hoped to have the other two sold by now,
but they have been posted for two days without a sniff thus far.

Q300, with full tank and newer cover - $200

g0GqKT4l.jpg

Q200 w/ adapter hose $125

SUgUuY7l.jpg

Are these prices out of line?

Back