2018 Done, 2019 Getting Started

Dave, really nice. Those look about exactly where I would price them in my area. I know you sell your Genesis Grills a bit lower than me though. But, heck no, I don't think your prices are out of line. Camping/Picknicking season isn't quite here yet. Sit on them. I think you will get your asking prices.

Also, what kind of paint did you use on the lids. Did you paint the bottoms at all?

That is pretty stuff. Have you did a good long burn in to make sure the paint holds up??

Dave, Both very nice! I especially like the redhead 300. I am with Bruce that it is just a timing thing and that patience will be rewarded. Stick to your guns!

Rolling right along we are already into the 2nd Qtr. As of today,
38 Webers of one variety or another have gone down the road
to what I hope are very happy customers. Starting prep on many
of these in the fall was a huge help.

I currently have about 20 legit candidates awaiting rehabs. Some
like a Silver C and Gold C will be complete overhauls. Others, like a
Weathered Warrior will only require a couple of hours of elbow grease.

The market has really exploded the last 10 days. I have past over
quite a few deals that I normally would have bought, but there just
isnt enough time in the day to get them all. It is impossible to prep
and sell what I already have, if I am always chasing.

These are the last 3 Genny's that I have completed. The 320 and 310
are already sold and gone. I was worried about the 310 NG selling, but
it was spoken for with in 3 hours after posting.

fXcbjB1l.jpg

5FwV2xgl.jpg

kkjG2uml.jpg

bJlkHy2l.jpg

76fsmXSl.jpg

2ZnWZUJl.jpg

vVFUNiQl.jpg

YpukWWtl.jpg

03r1rUCl.jpg

zUy4Kwcl.jpg

The red head was just finished up tonight. I did it special for a guy
that missed out on one I did a while back, and he wanted me to do
one for him, so it may be sold as well. If not, I will post it and
sell to someone else.

It will at least a week before I start another Genesis project. I have
2 Q3xxx's and a blue SS Performer lined up next, and putting the
finishing touches on the finest red SS Performer I have ever come
across. Hope to have some of these sold FAST as the weather forecast
for the weekend is brutal. 25 degrees and possible snow after we
have had 60s and 70s here the last week.

One other thing .... not sure if I have mentioned this before ....
without this place, and especially everyone that posts here ....
this would not be possible. You guys are a huge help.
Thanks to all of you.

Wow, Dave, if I could do a fourth of what you do, my wife would probably tell me to go find some more grills;)! Neither is likely. I do hope this summer is one with some results, even though nothing like yours. You say that you do some quick turnarounds, but everything you post sure looks great! Maybe someday I will learn the secret:cool:.

We are all glad here to have your contributions as well. Hope the second quarter is another winner for you!
:coolkettle:

My hat is off to you Dave. That is some real production. I wish I knew your secret. It is a good thing you live in an urban area that is known for grilling. You have a good supply base as well as customer base to move that many grills.
Just awesome.

You say that you do some quick turnarounds .... Maybe someday I will learn the secret

Jon, most quickies are what we were talking about a while back .... WSM's. Kettles also though.
Many folks are quick to discard these for little, or nothing. Meanwhile, they both maintain very
strong resale values.

It is a good thing you live in an urban area

Bruce, don't forget, I live about 30 miles away from the city in the extreme NE corner of the metro.
Most of my buyers and sellers live in the extreme SE and SW corners, (40 to 45 miles away). The
time it requires me to aquire these, combined with the sales lost because many customers are
unwilling to make the drive up to where I live, EASILY costs me a grill a week. Most likely more
though. It also costs me in the quality of grills.

Dave - what are you using for replacement grates, bars, and burners? I know Dave posted some links earlier in this thread, but curious if those are what you use or if its something else. With what you are selling these grills for, I assume you aren't putting weber/rc quality stuff in them, and wondered what your experience was with the parts you do use. It gets harder to sell the grills for more $ when you use better quality parts, but part of me just doesn't like to put low quality stuff in them even if they are just flips. Thanks in advance!

Brian,

We will let Dave give his answer, especially with plenty of experience and RESULTS to back it up. I would just toss in a couple comments.

I am a collector at heart. I want to flip more, though, and have been trying to think through these kind of questions. Some of my earliest efforts were chock full of all Weber OEM parts and some "rcplanebuyer" flavorizer bars which are actually much better than Weber's (as are his top of the line stainless bar grates). I made things really nice but they never achieved the value that I put into them.

It might be possible to find a discriminating buyer who would pay a healthy premium for using all the best parts, but for the most part people shopping used grills are looking for a deal. With a decent cleaning and basic restoration, you can set yourself far apart from the average person who lists their tired out grill looking dirty and unattractive and frequently with worn-out, maybe even unsafe parts. I think this can be achieved safely and cost-effectively by judiciously using after market parts and sometimes just thoroughly cleaning up still usable OEM parts. This allows you to keep your price at a level that doesn't put you out of the market and hopefully allow some kind of return for your work. Keep in mind that you will not likely make any big money at this hobby/sideline small business.

One idea that I have picked up here in discussions is to offer "options" to prospective buyers. You can use basic parts, but show the customer "upgrades" such as better grates, bars or extras like a rotisserie. These allow your buyer a choice based on their wallet and taste. It is what I am planning on doing once I recover from this miserable tax season:p!

Jon seems to have the rehab/flip business pretty well covered even though he doesn't do a lot of it.

Brian,

We will let Dave give his answer, especially with plenty of experience and RESULTS to back it up. I would just toss in a couple comments.

I am a collector at heart. I want to flip more, though, and have been trying to think through these kind of questions. Some of my earliest efforts were chock full of all Weber OEM parts and some "rcplanebuyer" flavorizer bars which are actually much better than Weber's (as are his top of the line stainless bar grates). I made things really nice but they never achieved the value that I put into them.

It might be possible to find a discriminating buyer who would pay a healthy premium for using all the best parts, but for the most part people shopping used grills are looking for a deal. With a decent cleaning and basic restoration, you can set yourself far apart from the average person who lists their tired out grill looking dirty and unattractive and frequently with worn-out, maybe even unsafe parts. I think this can be achieved safely and cost-effectively by judiciously using after market parts and sometimes just thoroughly cleaning up still usable OEM parts. This allows you to keep your price at a level that doesn't put you out of the market and hopefully allow some kind of return for your work. Keep in mind that you will not likely make any big money at this hobby/sideline small business.

One idea that I have picked up here in discussions is to offer "options" to prospective buyers. You can use basic parts, but show the customer "upgrades" such as better grates, bars or extras like a rotisserie. These allow your buyer a choice based on their wallet and taste. It is what I am planning on doing once I recover from this miserable tax season:p!

Thanks Jon. Super helpful. I've done about 10 flips, and currently have a handful in inventory waiting to go. But it sounds like I am in the same boat as you - wanting to use good quality parts, but finding that it's harder to turn them over when doing so.

BrianV ..... Jon saved me a lot of typing. He nailed it.

I will add one thing though, as far rcplanebuyer's products go ....
while I admire his work and product, unless a customer asked for them
and paid for them in advance, I would never dream of paying those
prices. My average customer wants a good, clean grill at a cheap price.
I would not dream of buying them for my own grill either. I don't need
grates that will last for 200 years, and my average grilling skills wouldn't justify
cooking on such a quality product.

Jon seems to have the rehab/flip business pretty well covered even though he doesn't do a lot of it.

We are going to see what can be done about that over the next seven months:coolkettle:! Unless I don’t make it past April 15:eek:...

Back