2018 Done, 2019 Getting Started

I have the same experience Dave. Even the later Durawood ones are tough to move. They just look OLD to most folks that don't see the class and nostalgia behind them. One of the biggest reasons I concentrate on the Silver B/C grills for rehabbing. If I could find some of the E3xx grills for a reasonable rehab/flip price that are not rust buckets, I would like to do more of them too.

Dave, did you get the knobs/ igniter switch from a donor grill or find them online? Grill looks great as always! Down to the black knobs and igniter switch, it is pretty much what I have planned in my head for my 3000.

Last edited:
Excellent work. I'm keeping an eye out for a similar project.

What mat do you have under the grill? I'm moving soon and will need a couple for my deck.

I have the same experience Dave. Even the later Durawood ones are tough to move. They just look OLD to most folks that don't see the class and nostalgia behind them. One of the biggest reasons I concentrate on the Silver B/C grills for rehabbing. If I could find some of the E3xx grills for a reasonable rehab/flip price that are not rust buckets, I would like to do more of them too.

Before leaving for Germany I loaned my boss my Skyline grill with all the wood slats. His neighbor came over and commented how much he liked it. He said his newer Weber was in need of an overhaul, so my boss told him about what I do and that I could probably help him. He said OK but what he real wanted was a grill like THAT one! So, maybe I have a customer and some hope for carving out a small niche for restoration of older Genesis grills!

Dave, did you get the knobs/ igniter switch from a donor grill or find them online?

No, I painted them with Krylon Fusion. There has been much debate here as if you should paint them or not.
I figured I would find out myself.

What mat do you have under the grill?

Im not quite sure of the brand. It is from Costco. They had a giant stack of them
back in the spring for $10 so we grabbed one. I have not seen any again though.

So, maybe I have a customer and some hope for carving out a small niche for restoration of older Genesis grills!

I think there's some market, albeit small. I've had a couple of folks approach me about rehabbing an older model for them, but they seem mostly interested in the 2000-3000s with the larger frames, and there's hardly any around here to be had. I've got that 5000 and may offer it with a choice of either durawood or stained wood and with/without the side burner. That should test the market.

I'd love one of Dave's redheads, they are immaculate.

A couple of weeks back I posted this ......

1YdXfAUl.jpg

.... and I believe I mentioned that it had been a couple of years in the making as I
had searched high and low for just the right grill. What I didn't mention was I was
not quite finished. It took me just a little more time to finish my Weber Chameleon.

Sometimes it's green
IkUqtKsl.jpg

Other times it's blue
LLLeJnil.jpg

And finally sometimes it turns black
YCbroXgl.jpg

All 4 pics, all the same grill box, and frame.
I pieced together the durawood tables from a scrapper I
picked up last year. The red, green and skyline lids are all
from either scrapped grills or from others that I swapped
different lids for and flipped last year.
The blue- that one was by way of Bruce so generously selling and
delivering one to me over a year ago, that has sat in my office by
my desk for all that time, just waiting patiently to be paired with
just the right grill. I added the lighted handle to it back in February,
and it finally has a home on occasion when the Chameleon is in the mood.

For what it's worth, my wife HATES the durawood, and says it just makes
the grill look old and cheap. So, more than likely I will be going back to
the wood slats, and finding wooden handles for all of the lids soon.
Happy wife .....

Dave,

I love your Chameleon grill! I am definitely a wood slat fan, but I think on the Skyline - or other black hood grill - the durawood is also a sharp option.

Back