2018 Done, 2019 Getting Started

Your skills and results might improve with better equipment

I would tend to disagree. I don't think someone needs to double or triple the
cost of a grill to improve the product they serve. My Smokey Joe that I picked up
for free, with its crappy little grate produces a mighty fine burger and dog.
Good topic for debate though.

I think it is often a case of diminishing returns for money spent, in terms of durability, ease/joy of use and cooking results. Then you have to add in the wild card of personal preference.

For example, if you look at something like grates, the cheapest steel wire grates like on some very entry level grills will work and can produce even great food. But they won’t last and aren’t much fun to use. Jump up just a little to say Weber’s old stamped steel, porcelain plated grates and you buy a lot more durability and I think better use and results for a modest price increase. A little more $ would get you some basic stainless rod grates maybe along the lines of Uniflasy ones some of us have bought; I think also bringing improvement. The next jump will cost you a little, but something like Weber OEM stainless rods or Qlimetal will get you a small improvement, but percentage wise maybe not proportionally as much as the price goes up. The “final” jump will cost you quite a lot if you get yourself a set of rcplanebuyer grates. Are they twice as good as Qlimetal? Will they cook twice as well? Last twice as long? I tend to doubt it, but for some of those who can afford it the incremental bump in quality brings enough joy and improvement to warrant spending a good deal more money. Is it worth it? Yes and no depending on the person.

Yes Jon and Dave I agree, there were more than a few of us when the Q grates first came around that jumped on that 30 dollar deal and now they are 63 bucks. I have 2 sets first one had a bent rod they sent me a new one told me to keep the old one.

There is no way possible that anyone could convince me that my rib eye steak is going to taste better on Rc grates than the q's nor what will last longer since nobody really knows that the Q's are to new a product. Even at 63 bucks half of RC's price they are still a way cheaper alternative. I have multiple grills which all get used so to lay out that kind of money for one set of grates would not make any sense just to big an investment for one grill.

But this is a hobby among other things and you spend what you want to spend because you want to. If you want the best grates made don't care about the money then buy the RC grates. Its not about getting your money back down the road if you try to sell it cause to be honest the average grill buyer on a flip or resale could care less about the 130 grates and would have no clue what RC grates are anyway.

RCP grates are better, but not twice as good. They are more luxury than necessity. That being said, I have a set on my personal Genesis. And I love them.

Bruce,
That pretty well sums it up for personal use.

It is a luxury I have not given in to as of yet, because I have succumbed to too many others. I guess I decided I was more interested in what GrillGrates would be like and spent my splurge grate $ on those. Sorry, Larry, but I still really enjoy grilling with them:rolleyes:...

My fallback for close to rc stainless rod grates are patiently waiting for me in my shed. Post-Monday the 15th, when my life hopefully returns, I hope to cut down two sets of former generation 3 Summit grates to fit in a Genesis. Same thickness I believe but not quite as tightly spaced. At least I will finally get something out of those stupid Summits:mad::p:eek:!

Last edited:
Really at the very basics all a grate has to do is keep the food out of the fire. The rest is esthetics BUT good grates do make cooking that food more enjoyable and fin, does give better results as well (less loss, better esthetics, etc). IMO for a grill you're going to keep get the best you can i.e. RCP grates or high quality CI, etc with tight spacing (less loss) and good heat retention (less sticking, better overall performance, etc). True the avg burger/dog shlepper will never appreciate the difference. But a TRUE griller will see the difference and enjoy it. Having the high end heavy Weber SS grates on my Genesis is a true source of enjoyment as are the custom made RCP ones I have on my Wolf. Fighting with bad/poor grates is no fun, things like food sticking, hard to clean, food failing through, and so on. You could drive a car on to my RCP grates. I LOVE them

Temporarily - OUT OF BUSINESS :(

For the first time in 13 months, I do not have a single grill posted for sale.
I sold a blue performer tonight, and do not have a single grill that is even
close to being in sellable condition. I currently have over 20 different grills
but each one of them is requiring at least 2 hours or more of love, that I just
don't have the time to give. I have a major project at work that has been
requiring 14 hour days - if you notice my posting here at 2AM thats why,
along with the back yard makeover- new deck, patio, and retaining wall.
I have a couple of really nice 210's that I hope try and have ready by Sunday
and an old Sequoia that I will be selling AS IS if I can make up my mind to sell
it. Until then, tvwbb will to get me through.

Dave,
Your productivity and resourcefulness in locating great finds is nothing short of epic. I could not possibly do what you do. So, if you have a pause I sure wouldn’t feel bad and allow yourself a little time to do some of those other things.

I am doing that by putting my family first after a long tax season. I am itching to get some grills turned around - even though at a very leisurely pace compared to you;) - but I don’t want this hobby to become consuming at the expense of my marriage and family.

You will do great and it’s not even Memorial Day weekend yet;)!

Yes I agree John I like this to be a hobby. I do not want it to become something that I dread

I am a little late to this thread. However the town I live in now does not have any sort of week in the year where stuff is put along the curb for large item collection. They just put it out whenever.
There squashed my dreams of finding a few Weber grills to fix up.

We don't have anything like that either, but if you keep your eyes on Craigslist and FB marketplace, you will see them pop up throughout the spring and summer months. THe problem is that you have to pounce quick.

Yep, I would add OfferUp, although their following seems to vary from place to place. It is very active in my area.

Also, expand your search beyond “Weber” to include Webber, grill, smoker, bbq and maybe more. Some of my best finds were listed only as “grill.” If you search you will almost certainly find more than you can handle. Bruce is very right that you have to be ready to jump on a good find. You have competition!

Just finished this one up this past week...

yAcsAgF.jpg

xbcIZ1e.jpg

ZSaG5Nl.jpg

m2UCRwi.jpg

miYC8Y0.jpg

4nhgZON.jpg

This one was done for a friend. It was a quick rehab so really didn't clean out the firebox in detail, just scraped off the crud and used a pressure washer afterwards. I'm still amazed on how fast these grills get past to 550 F, faster than the Genesis II E-310 when I had it! Sorry for no before pics, I bought this grill sometime last year and don't think I took pics of it. It is, I believe it's a 00-01 Genesis Gold B. My friend wanted a redhead so I changed the hood out from the original maroon and he also wanted the light up grill handle with the LEDs after he saw mine. Oh, and if you're looking for Weber 7506, your local Ace might have those for 50% off. I picked up 2 sets of those from the Ace store in my area for $25. The bars are from RCplanebuyer, part no. Weber 9913.

Great job on that, Sam!

While I do like red, I am surprised someone wouldn’t want to keep the original maroon which is even better in my book and matches the unique side tables. Either way, though, he is getting a super nice grill.

It was suggested that maybe the Weber Q grills weren’t “manly” enough for some people’s taste. Well, to me, one of these is the opposite - the Chuck Norris version of a Weber:cool:! I have only seen one for sale anywhere in Florida.

Great job on that, Sam!

While I do like red, I am surprised someone wouldn’t want to keep the original maroon which is even better in my book and matches the unique side tables. Either way, though, he is getting a super nice grill.

It was suggested that maybe the Weber Q grills weren’t “manly” enough for some people’s taste. Well, to me, one of these is the opposite - the Chuck Norris version of a Weber:cool:! I have only seen one for sale anywhere in Florida.

Thanks guys! Yah, he really wanted the light handle and the maroon hood that came with the grill is a different style for the light handle (Weber 9057) so that's why he went with the old school redhead hood so that the light handle would fit it. I still am though going to give him the maroon hood so he can swap it out here and there.

Update -

As of today, I am reasonably confident that 100 is attainable.
#60 went to a nice new home earlier this week.

Up next, are 3 very nice 3xx models.
I took a rare for me, day off today, and finished deluxing these.

Af8F1Rwl.jpg

The pewter is already pending from some folks 120 miles away.

Picking a up a few more tomorrow, including a 310NG that I hope to pair with the
side burner and manifold that I recently took off of Bruce's hands.

Sunday may likely be an adventure. The drainage system on the underneath side of
my new deck is complete, so I plan to start transporting all of the grills that I have been
storing at my son's house over. However, Monday I have a colonoscopy scheduled,
which means Sunday is cleansing day. Wish me luck fellas. :D

Back