1985-Genesis-2-Rehab@Josh's-Correctional-Facility

If anyone wants to restore a grill with redwood, more power to him. I like mahogany and have used it before on my own restoration. I'm not a big fan of trying to restore old wood that still looks old after you refinish it. I would rather replace it with period correct, new wood that compliments a nice restoration because my goal is always to make a grill look as new as possible. I'm ok with not being completely original as long as the result is more or less perfect in its execution. Others don't mind the patina of age on things. It reminds of a WW II M1 garand that I owned years ago. I had it reblued and bought a brand new stock for it because I wanted it look like it was issued yesterday. Some people will say that I destroyed it by doing that but I disagree. I didn't want a weapon that was all beat up looking when it didn't need to be. I equate it to having a classic car restored.

Last edited:
If anyone wants to restore a grill with redwood, more power to him. I like mahogany and have used it before on my own restoration. I'm not a big fan of trying to restore old wood that still looks old after you refinish it. I would rather replace it with period correct, new wood that compliments a nice restoration because my goal is always to make a grill look as new as possible. I'm ok with not being completely original as long as the result is more or less perfect in its execution. Others don't mind the patina of age on things. It reminds of a WW II M1 garand that I owned years ago. I had it reblued and bought a brand new stock for it because I wanted it look like it was issued yesterday. Some people will say that I destroyed it by doing that but I disagree. I didn't want a weapon that was all beat up looking when it didn't need to be. I equate it to having a classic car restored.
You know what you want and you know what you like and I can definitely appreciate that alot! You do things the way you like them done. You don't base your choices on what other people may or may not like. That is very cool to me and very important for me also. Your restorations are very high level. I always admire the work that you do.

For me personally it depends on the project. What it is and also what condition it is in may partially dictate the direction I take it. Some projects I feel like deserve to be honored with an original as possible restoration which could be interpreted in different ways to different people. It could mean finding new or better than new parts to rebuild it or it could mean restoring what was originally there as much as possible to the best of one's ability. I don't think there's a right or wrong answer just different opinions and that's okay. I can appreciate good craftsmanship regardless of if it's how I would have done the project or not. I think it makes it interesting to see different people's interpretation of restorations and different projects. I think most everyone's taste is going to be at least a little bit different. Also using cars for an example some may lean more towards classic car type restoration and some may lean more towards a Hot rod or a Rat rod style. Or maybe somewhere in between. Even within the classic car restoration circle there will be disagreements on whether to use bias ply tires or switch them out for radials or upgrading the brakes on a classic. I like it when people see a project through to the end and absolutely love it. Something that they achieved with their own two hands to make the vision that they had in their head come to life. To see someone proud of their accomplishment is pretty cool I think. Sometimes that accomplishment may not be to my taste or maybe it's a cool new idea that I hadn't thought of and makes me think of something that I want to do maybe in my own way.

Anyways these are just my late night thoughts and opinions. Nothing more. I'm not trying to make a point. Just sharing my thoughts.

That is a great find, and it’s in good shape!
It looks like it still has its original parts too.
I restored (well, maybe restomodded) a couple of first generation Genesis grills myself a few years ago. One of them had the same swing up table as yours. You don’t see those swing up tables often, yours is the second one I’ve seen

I did both the deck and grill slats in Ipe. I will share some current pics later when the sun is out.
If you haven’t seen my restoration thread, it’s here: https://tvwbb.com/threads/restoration-projects-1992-genesis-1-and-late-80s-genesis-2.76238/

Gerry

Back